Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 10:08:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19321 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: July 22, 2007, 12:57:43 AM »

Here is the play that I was telling you about. Made by Bertolucci's Production company (meaning, he tinkered with the writing for the screen) be sure to click on: more
at any time for more interesting details. I was interested that this favourite of mine was placed with two other favorites also by Mr.B.
(most recently, Besieged; less recently,Stealing Beauty)

Also click Marivaux, for the creator's bio.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253840/
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2007, 01:18:29 AM »

harrie,

"and that rich history is documented photographically (and with posters - posterly?)  in the lobby. Or, it used to be -- I haven't been there since the renovation." re: Westport Theater

I had that kind of chagrin, when logically recalling that a repertoire theater where I spent a lot of time had of course moved on to bigger and better settings.  I heard about it last Spring over at the nytimes book forums in the midst of a non-fiction perusal of a poetry anthology when I was told that a theater restaurant and bar next to the Miller Theatre, and in which I'd spent some momentous occasions, was no longer there. Closed. Fini.

Then it occurred to me, where are all the drawings(ala Sardi's) that hung on the walls, depicting all the famous actors who had played the Miller Repertory Theater?  It took me awhile, to discover all the connections, but finding the cast lists for every single play performed there eventually led me to the information that the collection of every drawing,head-shot submitted, all applications to the company for employment, every bill, every program, had been put in boxes at the state University for the State Historical Society.   Oh, and their pay-check receipts as well, for every member of the company who had ever played there; do you suppose that included the "stars" too?

They inevitably had been people we watched in old movies at home on tv. Spring Byington, Shepherd Strudwick,Sylvia Sidney, Anthony Perkins,
...Anthony Perkins! Yes, that Tony Perkins aka Norman Bates.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:34 AM »

Speaking of Chappelle, I thought his shortlived show on Comedy Channel was riotously funny.  He has a razor sharp edge to his sketches that I can see would be difficult to sustain over the long haul. You look at how David Letterman has mellowed out to the equivalent of melba toast over time.  So, I guess I can understand why he wanted to pull away.  Cohen smartly signed only a two-year deal with HBO. Better to be remembered on DVD.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2007, 03:00:16 AM »

That's exactly why I'm wondering who caught that Iconoclast number. Because he was riotious inside like he is on stage, whereas Angelou was  what some folk call,"hincty". She was quite condescending because of his "youth" and I have no idea how old this guy is!
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »

If it is Chappelle you are referring to, maddie, he's in his early 30s.  According to wikipedia, he's been doing stand-up since he was 14, making him a veteran. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »

He's one of those non-age people who can do a routine anywhere between youth and old-age. For Maya Angelou, he did age 8.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:13 AM »

and my brother was all amped up about the Harley.

I thought it was a Triumph...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:22 PM »

and my brother was all amped up about the Harley.

I thought it was a Triumph...

I clearly recall the bro going on and on (and on and on) about the teardrop gas tank, how cooolll Bronson's Harley was, etc. -- but he could easily have been wrong.  However, these sources -- though I can't vouch for their credibility, they're consistent -- all say that it was a Harley.  So I'm stickin' with my story.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: July 23, 2007, 12:13:15 PM »

I guess it would be helpful to actually provide those sources, huh? 

During his travels Jim drove a red Harley Davidson Sportster 883cc motorcycle with knobby tires [license: 723795]. The gas tank sported a triangle with an image of an eye [similar to the one the back of a dollar bill.]http://www.tvacres.com/motorcycles_bronson.htm 

The pilot featured a hill climb contest, which Bronson won (remarkable, considering he rode a street-equipped Harley-Davidson Sportster!). The most identifiable feature of the Bronson bike is the insignia on the gas tank, a triangle with an eye in the middle.http://tulsatvmemories.com/bronson.html

Bronson rides a Harley-Davidson Sportster motorcycle and, as such, was viewed by some as a modern version of the solitary cowboy meandering the American west.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Then_Came_Bronson

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »

Pretty good artfart on Turner:  The devils in the details are truly haunting.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: July 24, 2007, 01:22:28 AM »

You can say that again.  I thought of him as some middle-aged stodgy landscape artist that pleased my cottagey grandmother. 

But this made it a much more exciting story. If....

I think that they were hardpressed to find what else they could show.  He did an immense amount of paintings, as some do, and they are landscapes when not looking at a port or out to sea. He does just about every port on the Western Europe Coastline. That and an overmuch staring at the sun at a certain point in the mid-heavens made me began to wonder if the man was an epileptic. But,then, if that had been the case, they would have made rather much of it.   I think he was quite right about marriage and art.  I've known thousands of artists and they seldom keep it together, although while they do, have married lives, they do it rather better than the ordinary sort we are.  It is simply that it is "while".  I can only recall one marriage that stayed intact. That was a man who painted like Rembrandt.   He would look at me, and immediately put 40 pounds on me.  I'm not going to explain that.

Did you catch the part where they said he was 15 years old when they accepted his painting for the Royal Academy? I hadn't thought they said. Have known one of those too. Italian however, which made it less mysterious.  He was just the younger brother of every other painter in the studio and that seemed fine with everybody.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »

So I'm stickin' with my story.

You're probably right - I wasn't so much challenging you as just recalling that I was thinking it was a Triumph -- which was sort of the "it" bike back then.  If it was a Harley, then the writers were taking "painstaking" detail to create something very specific and I guess it is understandable why the public wasn't quite ready for it yet...

But all's well since they just brought it back a few years later--set in the 1800s as Kung Fu...  Smiley

Wow--from Route 66 to Kung Fu in only 2 degrees of separation
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: July 25, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »

I watched the opening segment of the new series, Damages with Glenn Close playing the heavy.  Good start.  I hope it keeps up the nasty work it has started.  So far, not a good guy in sight.  Everyone is out for something, hidden or otherwise.

Damages is on Tuesday nights on the FX channel at 9 PM Central Time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:22:35 PM by Donotremove » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »

I ran a Sportster 883 from LA to Tombstone Arizona once in the summer and it was a lesson in frustration.  That tank is so small, that I literally had to stop every 80 miles or so to fill up.  I carried a 1.5 gallon can on the back of the bike so I could at least extend my range between gas stations, but I still had to hold my buddy up by pulling over on the side of the road to refuel.

Back in the 60s there were a lot fewer gas stations and much longer stretches of road with no stations, so I’m not sure how that Bronson guy really managed…  Smiley

I used to have a Norton Interstate back in the mid 70s with a 300 mile cruising range, so it was a noticeable difference...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: July 25, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »

donotremove « Reply #377

Shoot, I missed it. Do they have any re-runs like some of the other Comcast privileges?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: