Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14930 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »

dnr,
I found it by momentarily discoverint the search feature. It replay at 11:06 on  FX tonight.  I'll watch it, if I can manage to stay awake?
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2007, 03:12:19 PM »

Has anyone watched this chilling, enthralling, addictive new show on FX network with Glenn Close?  Absolutely riveting with wonderful performances by Close, Philiip Bosco (is the man ever bad?), Ted Danson, etc.  If you hate lawyers, you'll love this one.

And no one can do evil as Close can.  When she smiles, you just feel as if you have to run or look away.  Chilling to the bone.

But this series is so different.  You think one thing and then you discover it ain't what you think.  it's written by adults and for adults.

Sounds simple: Close a lawyer trying a class action suit against an executive who robbed his employees of everything when he sold his stock after encouraging them to buy it.  (sound familiar).  Sounds like Patty Hewes will be a heroine.

Welcome to the topsy turvey world of Damages.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »

Lulu, I'm watching it.  Anyone who missed the first episode will be at a loss, I'm afraid.  The whole story line is what went before the beginning--the dead boyfriend in the tub.

Glenn Close, of course, is stunningly cunning.  And the smile?  Well, it will lower a room's temperature better than refrigerated air.  Thank goodness the show is closed captioned.  I wouldn't be able to keep up otherwise.

Maddie, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for reruns. No replays later in the week that I know of.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »

donotremove:

Boy, when she smiles at you, run for cover or go into hiding.  I love Philip Bosco (in just about anything) and he brings class to whatever he does (not that Close doesn't either).  She is one first-rate actress who finally got a role worthy of her.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

donotremove and lulu,

No. I caught it last Wed.night at 11 plus pm last week ,which means there is a good chance I can again tonight, was afraid I missed that when i saw what you were posting in here.

I think perhaps the biggest contribution is what they are offering in the change of format by the sponsor.  Doing exactly what needs to be done about the lack of narrative continuity that was raised at the Gunter Grass and Norman Mailer interviews by O'Hagan at the New York Public Library for The Paris Review.  They brought up why younger people, kids in school don't read to the extent we liked to do, personally I used to think it was possibly our neurosis of the day; but the writers on this occasion seemes to agree that it is the result of television, which Mailer thinks was invented by the Devil who similarly took control of Hitler.

It is great to see Ted Danson back on the small screen (either the big screen is too much for him or he is too much for the big screen, haven't exactly figured that out.) because he is obviously one of the genre's better actors ever since he stepped on the set of Cheers.

As to Madame Glenney, why do you think I brought up the topic of Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, Liaisons Dangereuse, as a perfect example of belles lettres.(over in Fiction or somewhere)?  She immediately centered the camera upon herself and held it until she had defined who exactly her character was to this menage, or her director did and I never can remember which director it was, Stephen Frears or Milos Foreman?  Obviously, I like the other version almost as well because it had the lovely former Mrs. Peter O'Toole(Sian Phillips) as well as Annette  Benning. Although it was entirely missing the sinister gleefulness of John Malkovich who manages to get Keenu Reeves killed (at a time when I didn't even know who the kid was. Now, I know and I try to avoid aesthetic contact as much as possible).

lulu.  It helps if you just think of her as, "Sara Plain and Tall" with her delightful husband on the Plains. Once  you keep that image in mind, there is nothing Glenn Close can do to intimidate you. I like the nuances however of how she dismissed the other attorney in the dog-park with her own particular version of the New York exit popular in our day and age.  Is that Philip Bosco?
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: August 04, 2007, 06:46:22 AM »

We finally got digital tv.....unless we keep one of our digits firmly pressing the channel button on the remote continuously, our analogue tv won't function anymore.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »

Donotremove and lulu,

In light of my long praise at #384 for the sponsor's format on  Damages,whoa!

Upon last viewing, granted it was a repeat, I was treated to a whole bunch of commercials interspersed between the action or recall of the dialogue. Will hit the regular time of showing in hopes of avoiding this commercial interuption.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »

Well, "John From Cincinatti" is on again tonight, and as long as the chaotic jazz clacking clears from the character's chops, I guess I'm in for a penny, in for a pound.  It's funny when what you thought was inferior to "Cop Rock" or "Manimal," only more embarassing by being better cast, turns out to be (gulp) compelling drama slash fascination.  I don't know if it makes you on crack or schizo when you watch it, but just in case I just put on my tinfoil hat and have made a secret prayer.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2007, 01:33:51 AM »

JFC began to lose me the last two weeks.  In fact, i'm off it.  I didn't even have the curiousity to watch tonight.  I feel ripped off from having watched the first few episodes.

Entourage and FOTC are still repping HBO Sunday night.  But that 9-10 slot is a problem.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: August 06, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »

Donotremove,

Jbottle and kam have just commented on John from Cincinnati. If I hadn't been doing something in between the end of Big Love and whatever last night, I never would have realized the Trixie signed on with those guys at JfC.  I think she should have stayed with her lover at the Dry Goods and Hardware in Deadwood.  But I guess that Trixie is just a character like the rest of us are in primetime tv comment,although she is actually Patricia Malcomson born in Ireland.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »

Paula.  She also spent some time on the island in Lost.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »

Whose Lost?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »

And, in TV world, I saw that CBS is producing a childrens' version of Survivor, kind of.  Except they're not on an island, I don't think; but they're turning loose a bunch of kids to form their own society without adults, without supervision, etc.  (But with cameras and producers watching them, of course, so really, how do they make that claim?) 

Anyway, I don't watch much reality TV; the Gordon Ramsay shows and Top Chef are about it, and even then I'm not religious about it or anything.  But if these kids go all Lord of the Flies and start killing each other, I just may have to check it out.   
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »

Whose Lost?

Try Hare Krishna.

Okay, Carlton Cuse's and Damon Lindelof's "Lost."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: August 06, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

I do that dropping a name, like Paula, sometimes when I'm angry how the vote turned out in the Senate this weekend. Not that anybody cares about censorship.  Paula Malcomson is sometimes credited as Paula Williams but forever known to me as Trixie, the hardest working actor of the fair sex, in the cast of Deadwood.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: