Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 05:57:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14136 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »

I hate seeing Deadwood characters in other roles. 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »

Me too!
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »

It was painful to watch Timothy Olyphant play a bland, non-mustached, bad guy in the latest Die Hard flick.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »

I think that I became very attached to the entire cast of Deadwood during the run which was possibly longer than I could keep track of because it wasn't until it was over that one day, while checking the location and bios of the historic characters that when looking down from Cemetery Hill at the actual town, I not only learned that people like the Bullocks are buried there on Cemetery Hill, but that I'd been to Deadwood in my childhood.

It's apparently on the way to Mount Rushmore, so it was more or less the standard tourist itinerary; and my father wanted to see everything before returning to the Midwest from Arizona by car sometime in 1938.

He returned to the  vicinity   in the upcoming decade because the region is particularly good for game-bird hunting. I think that he was looking for the ultimate pheasant.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »

Maddy, I watched the first episode of JFC and decided I didn't care for it.  Right or wrong, I haven't watched another episode.

As for Trixie?  Well, that gal is the ultimate survivor as she proved on Deadwood.  I wish her well no matter where she ends up.

I don't mind actors showing up somewhere else after a long run in a part that almost chokes them with "type," but it does startle me sometimes.  I mean, hey, you gotta pay the rent (as Michael Caine is wont to say.)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2007, 09:33:03 PM »

And, in TV world, I saw that CBS is producing a childrens' version of Survivor, kind of.  Except they're not on an island, I don't think; but they're turning loose a bunch of kids to form their own society without adults, without supervision, etc.  (But with cameras and producers watching them, of course, so really, how do they make that claim?) 

Anyway, I don't watch much reality TV; the Gordon Ramsay shows and Top Chef are about it, and even then I'm not religious about it or anything.  But if these kids go all Lord of the Flies and start killing each other, I just may have to check it out.   

Ramsay's a fraud - haven't you heard?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »

And, in TV world, I saw that CBS is producing a childrens' version of Survivor, kind of.  Except they're not on an island, I don't think; but they're turning loose a bunch of kids to form their own society without adults, without supervision, etc.  (But with cameras and producers watching them, of course, so really, how do they make that claim?) 

Anyway, I don't watch much reality TV; the Gordon Ramsay shows and Top Chef are about it, and even then I'm not religious about it or anything.  But if these kids go all Lord of the Flies and start killing each other, I just may have to check it out.   

Ramsay's a fraud - haven't you heard?

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Ramsay. But I find him entertaining, even if just for the F-bomb count; and I believe there are always at least three sides to a story (his, hers, and the truth, as they say). 

For Hell's Kitchen alone, whether he's a fraud or not doesn't really come into play very much because it's about the contestants, not him.  As for the allegations of Ramsay's planting bad food in someone's kitchen in Kitchen Nightmares....well, that's why I'm not a fan of reality television in the first place: It's not very real. And I'll be honest -- while I wouldn't put it past anyone to pull b-s like that to "make" the show, I always wonder about the disgruntled factor on the part of the chef who is, when you get down to it, being shown up while his restaurant is (hopefully) being turned around.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: August 06, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

My father says all will be revealed on next week's JFC, the sigboth and I are getting a super-crunchy bucket of KFC and newly designed tinfoil hats just so we don't miss a thang.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Ramsay. But I find him entertaining, even if just for the F-bomb count; and I believe there are always at least three sides to a story (his, hers, and the truth, as they say). 

For Hell's Kitchen alone, whether he's a fraud or not doesn't really come into play very much because it's about the contestants, not him.

Maybe it's because it's Summer and nothing else is on, but I've gotten into Hell's Kitchen for some of the same reasons you mention. I didn't see either of the previous seasons or any other show with Ramsay.

My main nitpick with Hell's Kitchen is that Ramsay was forever stressing to the aspiring chefs the importance of teamwork in the kitchen, but the format of the show has the chefs in competition with one another. They have no real incentive to want the other chefs to do well.

For almost all of this season I've thought Rock would win. Then Bonnie had that moment recently when she was allowed to ream Ramsay a new one and I switched to her. (That's prediction, not preference.) It just seemed as if she was finally showing what she was made of. Ramsay said it best: "Bloody hell. Where did that come from?"
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: August 08, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »

This show gets more addictive with each viewing.

However, you have to put reality aside.  last night when Hewes sent her young associate to file a brief with the judge and stay there, I laughed out loud.

For one thing, if you are a lawyer, you know that briefs are always filed with the Clerk of the court and not with a judge or his secretary.  Second, no one would sit outside a judge's office all night.  The whole scenario was too stupid to be believed.  I've worked for lawyers for many years and this one was too laughable to be believed.  Nowadays, most briefs are filed electronically.

However, Glenn Close is just brilliant as hewes and so is Danson.  Trying to figure out who is doing what (since both are criminals) is fascinating.   And since I DVR the show, I just fast forward during commercials but it's a brilliant show.  But expecting reality from television is very naive.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: August 08, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »

lulu,

The scene you just described is where I decided Glenn Close is no longer
Plain and Tall; you are right, she is criminal.

After all, I think the reason that the scene was written that way, as you pointed out, the bottom line not exactly making any sense, was to clarify that Close was simply pulling her chain so she would be late. She's found this nice kid who is willing to please, all psyched-out from picking up on that family interaction and showing up at the wedding no less.  I am now convinced she is responsible for everybody's death in this one.

Although I loved the way her son knew how to retaliate. If you are going to be a high-powered mother, you are going to get whipped.

This is the ultimate sado-masochism show of the year.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: August 08, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »

You know whom I can't stand, Ps....

The stupid blond who falls for going back to the guy who checked out of her life and nonchalantly shows up again as a killer for hire
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: August 08, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »

My main nitpick with Hell's Kitchen is that Ramsay was forever stressing to the aspiring chefs the importance of teamwork in the kitchen, but the format of the show has the chefs in competition with one another. They have no real incentive to want the other chefs to do well.

For almost all of this season I've thought Rock would win. Then Bonnie had that moment recently when she was allowed to ream Ramsay a new one and I switched to her. (That's prediction, not preference.) It just seemed as if she was finally showing what she was made of. Ramsay said it best: "Bloody hell. Where did that come from?"

Hey, Earl.  I agree with you on the teamwork versus competition aspect of Hell's Kitchen; but I think that's sort of a given with reality shows (ie, Survivor and its alliances), and again, one of the reasons I usually don't care for them.  I do, however, enjoy watching the contestants work -- or not work -- together; what can I say, I enjoy a good train wreck.

I can't believe Bonnie will win, and don't think she will (BWTHDIK??). She's got the palate thing -- interestingly, a similar situation came up last year and the "amazing palate" person was the runner-up, I think -- but that's about it.  Without the other skills, which I believe Rock posssesses (along with your basic chef attitude) -- well, that palate will only get you so far.  But we will see -- I'm usually always wrong on these things.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

Oh, it was obvious she wanted her associate to be late.  But this associates seems more wimp that an aggressive, ambitious attorney.  How long can she stay so naive?? 

I believe Close's character more lifelike than her young associate.

However, Danson's character is not some innocent either.  He's perfectly capable of rough tactics too so it is hard to know who does what to whom.  They are both detestable people.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »

lulu.#408

"How long can she stay so naive??"

Because this story uses flash-back sequences and warped time, we actually see how far she has gotten or the end of story from our view of her, except that we don't know what is now going down with our "Power attorney" (not power of attorney).  They will keep confusing us with more ramification, the art of soap-opera. I call these, "night time soaps" like using that stuff from Dove before you go to bed at night. The writer has to be so much more clever than the old soap writer to keep the ball bouncing.  It would be nice if every actor in the business had the option right up front in the contract to know how it ends?!!! If you have read an entire script, from episode A to Z as with a movie, until the rewrite starts up,you'd have a pretty good idea of where you are at in playing it. But very few actors turn down a special role as Danson and Close have here.

Television being what it is, they can sometimes find themselves surprised at the changes that occur to a director or producer that they then demand of the writer(s)and the actor has to be adaptable but most actors are afraid that they will be made to look like a fool; they go on the reputation of the producer and the director as to what they've shot before.

Neither one of these actors would likely go for something that didn't read as a piece of good writing, but as to movies-- I have read scripts to save time for the person whose agent had received them and sent them on because somebody perfectly lovely was going to be in it, that is somebody who was "happening" of the moment. They really believe that this particular talent will improvise and make the thing "happen" or work.  You can not figure out what the heck you are reading and what's to be done with it.  It goes on the scrap heap , however the agent or the personal representative never fails to not understand  why you would reject that part opposite, my god, "it's got Dana Carvey!".  Uh,huh....
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: