Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 03:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 18347 times)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: August 11, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »

I thought for sure there was discussion in here of MadMen (or however it's rendered) but now can't find same--maybe it was another thread.  Saw an episode the other night and the interest factor of trying to spot the stylistic "done rights" vs. "anacrhronisms" held me for a while.  My mate seemed drawn into the ad guys' story but I thought the show pretty much sucked in the female dept.--hair & clothing styles and watching people smoke did not make up for ineptitude in the acting dept. (and in the smoking dept. for some of them.  I heard the producer in an interview say they use "herbal" ciggies and they did not make any actor smoke that had never done so before--like someone up for a role would never tell a lie!)  So far, the elements do not a gripping tv show make, but it might be worth one more viewing.  What say others?

On edit: Found the post re Mad Men in the Movies thread, sorry obertray.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 06:43:12 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: August 13, 2007, 09:49:53 AM »

Harrie and Earl,

I noticed there was some sort of Outer Limits-ish series on Friday nights (9 PM CT) on ABC, called "Masters of Science Fiction" which seems to consist of free-standing shows written, presumably, by masters of the genre.  This Friday, Terry O'Quinn starred in an episode dealing with alien invasion, so if you were missing "Lost" it was kind of fun to watch him play the role of a skeptic.  Also had William Davis, the "Cigaret Smoking Man" of X-Files fame.  I don't have cable, so this may be something that was originally aired on the SF channel or elsewhere.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: August 13, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »

barton,
Thanks for the heads-up.  I looked up the show, and it's a limited run (four episodes).  The Terry O'Quinn one was #2.   The remaining two look interesting enough to check out -- they sound kind of Rod Serling derivative.  How ABC decided to do this, I'll never figure out; it seems to run counter to most of what they do, but maybe they figure it's summer, why not try something new? 

Here's a link with descriptions, cast, etc.  http://abc.go.com/specials/mastersofscifi.html 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »

Harrie, thanks for the link.  The episode two, which I watched, did have some of the...what to call it?....quality of an old TZ episode, maybe "moral awareness" might describe it.  Like Serling's stuff, it came with a sort of message about the human condition and some philosophic exploration.  In this episode, it dealt with warfare and disarmament, and what would happen if everyone could understand everyone else, i.e. there's some sort of universal translator field given off by the alien pods so that people speaking two different languages understand each other.  I don't think it had quite the brilliance of Serling at his best, but it was much better than the other summer sci-fi we get around here, also run by ABC, which is the teen wunderkind thing, Kyle XY.  Which I call "Kyle KY" because there is something so oily about its main characters.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: August 13, 2007, 05:02:05 PM »

There I was with my tinfoil hat on, thoughts of Howard Hessman from Johnny Fever from WKRP on Cincinnati, and then John the alien and the dirtweed parade, setting us up for some kind of revelation about the a 2014, because of the weird pyramid/hopscotch game, and the way that there is no way they should be watching all of this on the computer from the coffeeshop, the way that the aliens watched the $6M man battle Sasquatch from the alien ship...every time I was on the wavelength the tinfoil hat would fail and the whole mess seemed like the first HBO special written with the aid of at least 20 monkeys strung out on crystal meth psychosis and writing it all down over a two-week period where they didn't sleep, but anyway, I was transfixed, miffed, amused, frustrated, angered, and battered with one WTF? scene or line after the other, so yeah, thank god for "Entourage."

Will there be a Season II of "John From Cincinnati" or not, or rather, is one even planned, since there doesn't seem to be much dramatic trajectory other than "shit happens," I suppose that more inexplicable shit could happen for another couple of years.  Thing is, I'm in, I'm a fan, but what about all the folks who are expecting the next "The Sopranos," which had brilliant nuance and subtext but which was compelling and straightforward on dramatic and acting merit, or even the macabre whimsy of "Six Feet Under," quirky and unsettling at times but also funny and fairly conventional as a family drama that "happens to take place at a funeral home."

But JFC is as fried as KFC, and yet, I watch, hell, I even like it a little, but all I can gather so far is that the aliens are here to save us from the towel heads, or so my tinfoil hat has gathered, wait, I'm getting another transmission...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »

Will there be a Season II of "John From Cincinnati" or not, or rather, is one even planned...

JFC is to cable-drama as "The Chevy Chase Show" was to talk shows?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »

There I was with my tinfoil hat on, thoughts of Howard Hessman from Johnny Fever from WKRP on Cincinnati, and then John the alien and the dirtweed parade, setting us up for some kind of revelation about the a 2014, because of the weird pyramid/hopscotch game, and the way that there is no way they should be watching all of this on the computer from the coffeeshop, the way that the aliens watched the $6M man battle Sasquatch from the alien ship...every time I was on the wavelength the tinfoil hat would fail and the whole mess seemed like the first HBO special written with the aid of at least 20 monkeys strung out on crystal meth psychosis and writing it all down over a two-week period where they didn't sleep, but anyway, I was transfixed, miffed, amused, frustrated, angered, and battered with one WTF? scene or line after the other, so yeah, thank god for "Entourage."

Will there be a Season II of "John From Cincinnati" or not, or rather, is one even planned, since there doesn't seem to be much dramatic trajectory other than "shit happens," I suppose that more inexplicable shit could happen for another couple of years.  Thing is, I'm in, I'm a fan, but what about all the folks who are expecting the next "The Sopranos," which had brilliant nuance and subtext but which was compelling and straightforward on dramatic and acting merit, or even the macabre whimsy of "Six Feet Under," quirky and unsettling at times but also funny and fairly conventional as a family drama that "happens to take place at a funeral home."

But JFC is as fried as KFC, and yet, I watch, hell, I even like it a little, but all I can gather so far is that the aliens are here to save us from the towel heads, or so my tinfoil hat has gathered, wait, I'm getting another transmission...

After two weeks off, I went back to JFC to watch the Season finale.  Hopefully the series finale too.
The first insult was when i watched the "Re-cap" they showed at the beginning. I watched most of the season, but NONE of the scenes I watched were in the season recap.  It all seemed like stuff from the last episode or two.  That means you didn't fucking need to waste your viewer's attention for all those weeks if it all boils down to the same storyline happening for the third or fourth time in the show. WORST hbo SHOW EVER!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

The coffeshop scene was the worst in modern television history.  How the fuck were they watching that shit go down?  A webcam is believable, one that seems to follow the actors around is not.  WORST!! EVER!!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »

"JFC is to cable-drama as "The Chevy Chase Show" was to talk shows?"

Yeah, the cringe of the Parade Speech reminded me viscerally of Chevy's embarrassingly sincere birthday smarm toward Goldie Hawn.  The flopsweat is palpable...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »

"John from Cincinnati" is so bad that it makes "Manimal" look like "Cop Rock," or vice-versa.  My theory on where Bruce Greenwood went after two episodes is that he said "fuck this noise," and they got him to shoot the hotel room scene to have a way to sort of tie it together.  I don't think the show was entirely written when shooting began, it's David Milch, after all, we trust him, we have a relationship.  Well, that is the best way to get fucked over.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »

[reconfiguring design of tinfoil hat for better dirtweed reception from my father]

"John from Cincinnatti," on HBO, catch it while it still don't cost ya' nuthin'
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: August 15, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »

"John from Cincinnati" is so bad that it makes "Manimal" look like "Cop Rock," or vice-versa. 

Did you read the Bret McKenzie interview in The Onion last week?............

AVC: Did you have any hesitations about the way you incorporate songs into the show?

BM: Yeah, we watched Cop Rock, and that terrified us, and then we just kind of held our breath and gave it a go.

and later...

AVC: Do people keep comparing you to Cop Rock?

BM: I do. Executives early on did. Well, we'd bring it up, because we'd heard it was a musical. And then we'd see the fear in their eyes.

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/bret_mckenzie_of_flight_of
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2007, 10:30:06 AM »

Good interview, I liked in the last one (or the prior one) where the manager is sort of ambivalent about the cost vs. the "well, that's what rock stars do..." when they "trash" the hotel room and raid the mini-bar (sorta), and his disappointment/relief that it wasn't as bad as it should have been/could have been.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070815/ap_en_ot/tv_john_from_cincinnati

LOS ANGELES - "John From Cincinnati" has caught its last wave on HBO.
ADVERTISEMENT

The surfer drama that aired its season finale this week will not return for a second run, the premium cable channel said Tuesday.

The move represents a rare cancellation by HBO of an hourlong drama after its freshman season and a misfire as the channel tries to build its post-"The Sopranos" schedule.

"John From Cincinnati," which blended family drama with the metaphysical, earned mixed reviews and failed to spark audience interest.

The show, created by David Milch ("Deadwood") and "surf noir" novelist and screenwriter Kem Nunn, starred Bruce Greenwood and Rebecca De Mornay.

-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=2304&pageid=2

Potential movie: Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Dumb and Dumber 2

It was Jim Carrey, before he got older and started making serious movies. It was Matt Stone and Trey Parker, before South Park got all preachy and libertarian. Their paths nearly intersected in a way that could have made, yes, we'll say it, Poop Joke History.

Forget about the terrifyingly bad film that did get made, Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd. Stone and Parker were hired to write a Dumb and Dumber prequel back in the late '90s, right after the first film became a hit. Had they followed through, the result could have been a film so crude that society itself may have been in danger of total, immediate collapse (people eating each other on the streets, fathers clubbing sons to death with family dogs, etc.).

We can only guess at what the plot would have been. Perhaps it would have involved a terrorist plot to unleash a chemical bomb that causes every victim within a mile to become inflamed with ravenous homosexual lust. Maybe Harry and Lloyd could have stolen that bomb from the terrorists and realize the only way to keep it from detonating is by continually farting on it (it has a voice-activated detonator and, by sheer chance, Lloyd's farts sound exactly like the phrase "delay timer" in Arabic). Then maybe at the climax of the film they accidentally detonate the bomb at mid-field during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

Or, you know, not. We'll never know.

Why it didn't get made: When a hot, young talent hits it big, there's invariably a period where they're tempted to say "Yes" to every offer that comes in, for fear that people will stop asking. Stone and Parker were in that stage when they took this on, before they realized they'd be working 22-hour days meeting South Park deadlines.

Another factor: Jim Carrey decided he was too good for sequels right around the time of Ace Ventura 2, so chances are he wouldn't have come on board anyway (at which point the studio started talking prequel instead of sequel). Thus, the horror that was Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd was born. hoisted onto an unsuspecting populace, and then quickly forgotten, peace and reason returning.

And while we're on the subject: It's just as well that Dumb and Dumberer bombed. If the director (Troy Miller) had been given more movies, he may not have gone on to make the superb Flight of the Conchords TV show.

-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: