Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 06:37:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14173 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »

barton,

I can kind of testify to donotremove's reading habits,except for the cereal boxes, being nearly double the average "readership" posting in these parts. (the soup can labels are another matter, more than likely having to do with:" I like a few food shows,...". It is apparent that he reads more non-fiction, which is also the habit of the American History forum which also occasionally reads historical fiction, such as: All The Kings Men(I understand that Sean Penn did a version of this or am I just casting again?).

Personally, I prefer literature.  Straight, no chaser. This has allowed me to have absolutely no problem stunning the Professors of doctoral seminars with  my insights (while the non-professionals condescend to castigate me when they are running a forum and resort to calling me homophobic if necessary for them to feel like they are putting one over on somebody) and I can usually source the connection for a visiting fireman who has a vocation as poet beyond reproach and who did not previously perceive the connection and is stunned in a moment of enlightenment which is different than an epiphany.  Then, I disappear.

"a sort of gap in my cultural knowledge (if ID'ing tv characters constitutes "cultural knowledge") resulting."  I know how that feels. I could have done that to the complete  1960s, except for the day that somebody shot JFK and we won't say who because that scam is ongoing. I mean how much cultural knowledge do you need to connect the dots?
This has a lot to do with raising a child properly, when they say things to you like,"Did they shoot grandma too?"

Actually, this has a lot to do with your insight,"They were talking to corpses in Shakespeare."  That was always the thing that got me about Shakespeare (perhaps, you had in mind the,"Alas,poor Yorick. I knew him well,..." ?) because, they did the funereal aspects so well in the periods of time that he wrote about. Most people just love the death scenes when it gets to be group carnage as we come to the end of Hamlet and the curtain drops. Wow!

More important to me is the intimacy of the bearing out the dead in the appropriate shroud and accompanying them to the family sepulchre, where nothing has changed the routine in not only  centuries but perhaps a millenium since the Romans left. Which is really quite odd that in Hamlet within the same performance you can see Ophelia being born out, while alas, poor Yorick whose infinite jibes...   And this is a culture noted for its pre-Christian traditions.  When Alice Munro writes a fiction, she likes to have everybody over to help prepare the funeral pyre for her deceased husband. Wow! that blew away the fiction discussion for the month, when they got to that part.

I decided to use television as recreation in the 1970s when I had to cram 5,000 years of Chinese literature into five years. Although, because my mind could absorb no more, I would sit doing Chinese embroidery for relaxation under the lamp at the end of the Weimar stuffed sofa and only look up at the tv when they got to the punch line.

Somehow, I did however in those twenty years, get to enjoy the first Mrs. Woody Allen whose life I sometimes seemed to be leading and thought I understood the Bunker family of Brooklyn better than my neighbours; and, then, there was Masterpiece Theatre.

I did have a friend who developed a sort of cultural knowledge gap but that was why  after all  that the gov't sent him home every four years so he would realize that he didn't know who the heck Henry Winkler was much less the Fonz, if he was ever going to make it to Tokyo for the State Department and get out of Seoul.  After which my brother came down from Alaska for our Dad's death and looked amazed when I said, as you so aptly put it,"during winters if one lives alone, when the nights are long and it is sort of... , a source of sound ..." because ,here it was, with July about to begin, and he had just gotten a divorce from his second wife and her kids (as my mother's neighbours so pithily put it,"You mean, you divorced Rose and the children?").

I won't even get into what other pursuits children get into when they've seen what's been on tv before they pursue it.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »

Re: The third Conchord

This was their season finale.  It was very dissapointing.  Moreso than the Sopranos finale.  I hope they come back for another season, but if not, i'll take it. A very nice little show.

Their next to last episode may have been their best.  Even though it recycled an earlier theme with Murray the band manager's patience with the guys being tested.

Murray driving the Accord was awesome.  I don't like his new ride.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: September 05, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »

Their next to last episode may have been their best.  Even though it recycled an earlier theme with Murray the band manager's patience with the guys being tested.

Word.  I can't decide between the "on the road" episode or the "Bowie in space" episode or the "Bret gets a job" episode. 

I was not, however, disappointed in the season (series?) finale.  I thought that Todd guy was pretty funny, and if you're ever going to go over-wacky with it (e.g., Todd's dog-song is a big hit, has a gig at Giants Stadium, Murray drives a fancy car, etc.), it might as well be in the finale.   Plus, it's easy enough to reel it back in if there is a 2nd season.

More than anything, I just like that the "Todd's dog-song ends up being a big hit" thing was consistent with the whole "these guys are losers" theme of the show.  And that's not to say I dislike the characters or the guys playing them.  I just tend to like shows where the main joke is that the main character is a loser, e.g., my favorite show ever, "Get A Life". 

"FOTC" reminds me of "GAL" in that sense, especially the "third Conchord" episode.  In any event, long live "FOTC" and mark me down for a "I hope they come back" vote.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:59:32 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: September 05, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »

The ax is still out from JFC, so we'll see how much bloodlust is left.  I'm guessing that "Flight" is posting good numbers and is as much of a Sun. night tradition second only to "Entourage," and very cheap to produce relative to most other original programming.  It will get at least three seasons because the future revenue from DVD sales is inevitable as the show is at least a "cult success" like "Mr. Show," and I think the HBO brass have recouped a lot of dough from those DVD releases at a good price point vs. what they have to sell "The Sopranos" for, for example.  So, FoTC is a no-brainer, I imagine the video portions are the toughest and most-expensive to shoot but the entire season probably costs less per episode than Lorraine Bracco per episode, or Bruce Greenwood whose disappearance from JFC was odd at first, and then, ok, I get it, he split.  If you look at the Final JFC episode you see BG in one frame and then his suspended feet in the scenes with other cast members.  He even looks CGI'ed in during the final DIRTWEED PARADE SEQUENCE.  I think you're safe for two more seasons, oil.  I tried to watch and had high hopes for the David Duchovny series "Californication," and while he's a gamer and there are funny moments, the writing is so bad at times that it's hard to endorse the entire enterprise.  I like the premise of (again the loser theme) a struggling writer somewhere in the Hollywood food chain bouncing around the chaos of the city, but the execution has often been weak.  The Showtime weed one I saw for the first time was fairly amusing, so I'm thinking about swithing to those comedy/dramas after HBO f((((ed JFC up so bad.

I forget what the new dramas on the HBO horizon are, but none seemed very promising, looking forward to the new "Curb Your Enthusiasm," where the theme is that "Larry David" is kind of a schmuck and an asshole, but events conspire to make him seem like a twisted and sick and depraved and duplicitious complete asshole, and the dramatic irony is that he's just a regular vain, self-interested, funny, uh, asshole who doesn't really like too many people and hates people generally.  It's a very funny show that fits in sorta with the "loser" theme even though LD plays a "loser" who is similar to himself, and I think himself has upwards of $50M, he got everything that Jerry got out of Seinfeld, and hell it may be $200m with residuals, but it's not really dough that gets you out of being a loser, but it helps.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: September 05, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »

I'm guessing that "Flight" is posting good numbers and is as much of a Sun. night tradition second only to "Entourage," and very cheap to produce relative to most other original programming...  I think you're safe for two more seasons, oil. 

I'll buy that.

RE: Larry David and the "main character is a loser" thing, I think you make a good point.  I see a lot of "GAL" in "CYE", and in one "CYE" episode, they actually do a "titmouse" joke. 

Larry is in the kitchen with his wife, and a mouse scurries across the floor, and he freaks out, jumps on the table and yells, "Titmouse!! Titmouse!!"  His wife is like, "WTF?  Why would you yell 'titmouse'?  Why wouldn't you just yell, 'mouse' or something?"  Earlier in the episode, he got caught looking at some woman's breasts or something like that, so the joke of the show is that Larry is accused of being obsessed with breasts, etc.

Anyways, in an episode from the 2nd (and last) season of "Get A Life", Chris is exposed to a toxic waste spill, kind of like Chevy Chase in "Modern Problems", but instead of giving him telekinetic powers, it makes him into a genius.  He and his landlord (Brian Doyle-Murray) try to find a way to capitalize on Chris' newfound genius, and decide to make a go of it on the professional spelling bee circuit, and in one bee, the word he gets is "titmouse."  Of course, Chris laughs uncontrollably, because it's such a funny word, etc.

I know that's not a major connection or anything, but if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd bet that Larry is a "GAL" fan.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: September 05, 2007, 03:57:16 PM »

http://www.hbo.com/tellme/cast/

Sunday at 9
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »

I don't think i could be less interested.  If HBO is going to produce a female oriented series it might as well be funny. I don't think i'll watch.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:47 PM »

I am sure they will be crushed.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: September 05, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »

That was the one I had no interest in...where's the hook, relationships are fu***ed up?  "Dysfunctional Family Drama Set in a funeral parlor..."  "Dysfunctional Family Drama set in New Jersey where dad is a mob boss..."  "Suburban mom makes ends meet by becoming a pot dealer..."  "Potential schizophrenic or alien makes odd connection with the the collapse and renewal of the multi-generational surf scene in present day meth-ridden beach community as dischordant human jazz instruments occasionally connect but mostly recite their own self absorbtion and distcontent..."

All of these are interesting premises, but "Tell Me You Love Me," as counter-programming to the NFL, maybe, but guys will not catch up on Tuesday unless they get hooked when the Texans are playing one Sun. night.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »

TIVO age

I'm certainly not saying I'll like it

Female cast looks strong.  Don't know the guys.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »

Not a big DVR/Tivo personage, at all.  I just figure if I can't stay awake for the musical guest on Conan on a Wed. night that means I'm a pu$$y, but only because I'm too cheap or technophobe to buy a DVR.

I do wan't and can't yet (until the release of GTA for PS3) justify a PS3 purchase, but the $100 off the $500 or so with the purchase of a 1K or better TV looks like the way to justify the 42" at the same time.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »

Not a big DVR/Tivo personage, at all.  I just figure if I can't stay awake for the musical guest on Conan on a Wed. night that means I'm a pu$$y, but only because I'm too cheap or technophobe to buy a DVR.

I do wan't and can't yet (until the release of GTA for PS3) justify a PS3 purchase, but the $100 off the $500 or so with the purchase of a 1K or better TV looks like the way to justify the 42" at the same time.

Whats this deal you speak of?

-Dave Attell
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: September 05, 2007, 05:46:47 PM »

Best Buy
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »

oilcanboyd,re:#504   I loved this episode of CYE but it has been so long since i saw it that  I am no longer sure if they just worked so much material into one episode or did they keep working this for more than one to keep the gag going?

It starts with Larry or the wife being upset about the help not wearing a bra.  I'm pretty sure it was Larry but they come to a consensus of opinion that it is Larry who is going to have to go purchase the bra for his gardener's wife.   With that we already have a second element worked into the plot because I seem to remember more than one episode that deals with the complications of how Larry relates to the gardener.  This element would never have arisen but that the gardener's wife gives perfectly natural  reasonable sounding unabashed reasons of her own for prefering not to wear a bra when she's working but we have the added satisfaction of watching Larry mugging about it to express his annoyance visually to his own wife without saying anything that will alienate her helper around the house.

Since Larry knows nothing about buying a bra, he makes the further mistake when over at his manager's house of ducking into the laundry room when -- I guess what I recall is that --he notices a bra, out of the corner of his eye, and curiosity gets the better of him to determine if this is about the size, sizing up the manager's wife (who reminds me of so many people from New Jersey whom I have known; so how do they get to L.A.?), that he ought to look for in a lingerie shop.

Instead, he gets caught in the act and this starts a whole other train of reflections  on the quirks of Larry's "psychopathology", as the manager's wife has a vocabulary and a delivery of it that could peel the finish off a brass monkey.  She is yelling, "pervert" and chasing him out of the house. Now, why this shtik is perfect for tv comic reaction, and why her character is perfect as an irritant foil to Larry David's intensive self-examination followed by immediate rationales at all times, is because could there be a household anywhere in this land where the guy has either a friend or a male relative that his wife does not "can't stand!" ?

I have just had a perfect example of this at my next-door-upstairs  neighbors,  just yesterday, where the husband's  brother stands at the door knocking without a response, while I can hear upstairs,from the layout of the apartment as they are set up, that  the non-responder is pussy-footing around over my head to keep a low-profile, while this guy goes running around past all my open windows to see if he can spot her and get her attention.  She obviously does not want him as a guest in her house. Neither do I, nor his host and hostess for that matter.

Now, my only question oilcanboyd. Is this the same episode where Larry has the inappropriate thoughts about the lady in  the pink wrap around dressing gown with the feathered neckline whom he imagines sexually confronts him in the bathroom while he is perusing the literature in the john --again I think this is at a friend's house but whatever. Larry is the classic quintessential nebbish from the days when Yiddish burlesque went to situation comedy on tv.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: September 05, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »

Incidentally, kam,re:#511  You are the only other person that I've run into around here who was disappointed with the sell-out of The Sopranos cut and run, while David Chase was doing it, and as far as I can tell nobody else has discerned that possibly so was Tony en famille.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: