Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 02:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19357 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: September 07, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »

Well, I wear some shoes from the 8os....  Smiley
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: September 07, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »

Well, I wear some shoes from the 8os....  Smiley

It's true of course, when you have a large group of people they are likely to be wearing clothing from different eras.  Particularly homeless people and so forth in a city like San Francisco.    I did live there during the late 70s though and I don't think my memory is too degraded yet...
godot

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:39 PM »

I loved FOTC.  I even made my entire family watch it one night.  Alas, they didn't seem to garner the same enthusiasm as I have for it.

I began to tire of it the last few episodes, especially the last one (I agree with Kam).  I hope they have enough sense to hire a couple of writers to bolster the plot lines.  I really like Bret and Jemaine a lot.  Also love the songs.  Most of them make me laugh out loud.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »

Speaking of adding new plotlines, I'm impressed how long Entourage has lasted.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of HBO series crossover ..  I think Ari Gold from Entourage (Jeremy Piven) meeting Bret and Jemaine would be good for a lark.  Maybe FoTC could show up at one of Vinnie Chases parties.. or maybe Eric could appear in FoTC trying to get the guys to dump Murray and join his list of clients

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: September 09, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

I have a new favorite train wreck show -- that is, there's no good reason to watch it, yet I can't change the channel.  It's Flipping Out on BRAVO. The main character, a real estate investor named Jeff, is incredibly self-involved.  Whether he's pitching a fit because his lunch came with onions when he ordered it without, or deciding to lay someone off while spending money taking his dogs to an animal communicant this guy is nobody I'd ever want to work for or even know, yet I'm fascinated.  For sure an upcoming episode is going to feature him hiring someone to wipe his butt or something.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: September 09, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »

My husband watches that, too, harrie--is the "draw" a character one loves to hate. (as are sometimes relied on in such shows as Top Chef and Project Runway)?  Do you think maybe they should show it in MBA classes as example of how not to be a boss/manager, or is there not even that redeeming virtue?    
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:46:20 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: September 09, 2007, 10:35:51 PM »

James Gandolfini's, Home from Iraq, is on right now on HBO east.

Alive Day
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: September 10, 2007, 10:27:24 AM »

uh..................................errr.......................................ummmm....................

wow

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: September 10, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »

nytempsperdu,
For me, Flipping Out is all about the freak factor, plus the love to hate thing.  I mean, this guy has to own his own business, because I can't imagine who would ever hire him.  For that matter, I can't imagine that anyone would work for him, yet they do.   However -- based on my work experiences, he's not that different than some managers for whom I've worked (not for very long of course); so though I was tempted to say if you need to watch him to see what not to do, you've got issues, maybe that's not a bad idea. 
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: September 10, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »

uh..................................errr.......................................ummmm....................

wow

I didn't watch... you wanna translate your review for me?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
obertray

« Reply #535 on: September 10, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »

I tried Flipping Out, there's more of a "this is SOOO last Spring' vibe for me.

I keep wanting the housing market to crash and burn around this new breed of Rock Star Chef, Model Designer Hairdresser....

I like Flip This House better because it's over and if I never see it again it's ok. More like Extreme Home Makeover the Top than Roots (one time v. miniseries)

But the real reason I'm here today is to say that I gave mad Men the last chance and it worked. Episode 7 is what I'm up to (8 is in the DVR, but I haven't had the chance).

In episode 7 they spend a whole lot of time pointing out just how different the world was then. They do this in every episode to be sure, but they generally spent more time on just one issue (usually sexual harassment). In this episode they show:
1 A husband having a conversation with his wife's shrink wherein he tells the husband all about what's going on in the meetings,
2 A man smoking and drinking at his desk,
3 A woman entertaining her husband's boss at a moment's notice by having a salad while the men ate the steaks she had cooked,
4 (She didn't have time to defrost anything, afterall, no microwave),
5 The "acceptance" of the notion that the husband might just bounce the wife off the walls,
6 The  Boss going off to drive home with a glass of vodka and a head full of same.
7 The introduction of a chip&dip and the consternation over "What's dip?" (sour cream and brown onions, it was quite good, "You'll have to get me the recipe") (an aside, Onion dip is so much better than both salsa and humus! I was noting/lamenting the other day how the only corn chips now available are nacho/tortilla style flat corn chips. One tiny spot for Fritos and no other Fritos type chips. Whoever told the Mexicans that they know how to cook anyway!?)
8 Customer service as run by the angries.
9 No cure for the clap (also that the clap is the worst thing they got as opposed to AIDS, Herpes etc)
10 The grocery Store Scene! This was interesting because it was flawed. The idea was to show the lack of variety in the produce section. What happened though was that they had three bins of apples, Red Delicious, Mac types and Granny Smiths. Problem being that Granny Smiths were never even heard of in their section of the country (which BTW is right near where I grew up, as evidenced by the Poughkeepsie Journal in the Mother's Day Episode and the Taconic Parkway references) Then there were the watermelons, which were out of season by apple season and they weren't these seedless basketballs that we have today either. Nor did we have back in the day anything like a Pink Grapefruit. Not that it is a big deal, but it did catch my eye, a show so devoted to details they got these wrong.
11 The pregnant woman smoking and drinking wine (she didn't actually drink it, but that was not because she shouldn't, but because the scene didn't go that way.)
12 The gun.
13 The waving around of the gun.
14 The multimartini lunch.
15 The Nonplussed attitude towards the resultant mess.
16 The "He doesn't even wear a hat" attitude (towards JFK)
17 The anti catholicism (towards JFK)

That's at least 1 every 2 minutes in the show, that's a lot crammed into the show.

Meanwhile, the antagonist in this show is starting to become the sympathetic figure that we fully expect to run off and become a hippie who writes the Great American Novel. We know by his comment (and out of hand dismissal by his superiors) that he is on to something with this "youth' stuff. In the pre GOP strategy meeting when the elders are saying "he doesn't even wear a hat" the kid says, "You know who else doesn't wear a hat? Elvis!"

The dirty trick played by Don on his boss brings us back to what the show should be more about, the inner office politics of Ad men.

I'm glad to see the show got back on track (but I may hate it again by tomorrow.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:01:32 PM by obertray » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: September 10, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »

As for me,  I just watched Larry David since he was recently brought up, and that is how I was there when James Gandolfini's special on Iraq veterans came on.

If you think that may have been depressing, it was for the people involved.

Curb your Enthusiasm, however, is meant to be an upbeat show about a guy who is  schlemiel, and the theme at present is being charitable and considerate toward people who have lost their homes in the latest hurricane following Katrina.  Sheryl has decided that is the thing to do, invite some strangers to come live with them.  Meanwhile there is a subplot about party-going and non-party-going but I don't want to put up the spoiler alert as that is too heavy, let's just skip it as Sheryl and Larry finally get to the airport late and discover they have invited a real black family to live with them.   

That's the new theme folks for the present, with lots of funny coincidences but it was kind of depressing to me, as I suddenly saw Larry David as about as uncharitable as you can get.

Discovering that James Gandolfini had the follow up before I switched channels was "a study in contrasts", as he is very loving and demonstrative about it.

I urge everybody to look for these interviews "Alive Day".  It's like, going to work for Mr.  Bush is the new higher education.
obertray

« Reply #537 on: September 11, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »

Real quick in re: Mad Men

The return to broad brushstrokes... this time having to do with the surprise that a woman could actually be sexual and creative; plus "the closet".

The obviously homosexual (to today's observer, unthought-of of at the time) art director at a time before "Gay" is invited to be wined and dined and 69'd by a client, and although he is willing, his willingness to show his willie to Wallie is way lower than his willingness to walk away from working for the west of his wife (as faw as he knows).

The switching up of writers is starting to make for an inconsistent story. In the earlier version (the one where his brother finds him) he (Don Draper) lives with his family when his younger brother is born, but in this episode he is a "whore child" living with "Christians", the male of which getting branded a dishonest man by the hobo who passes through and evidently indelibly changes the boy's outlook.

The irony here being that Don is smoking pot with the "beat" crowd and that he is probably the Kerowaickiest of the bunch of them. Nice little lesson on nonliteral communication, as the hobo explained what several symbols meant to other illiterates (a circle with an x in it represented a pie which meant good cooking. A circle with three triangles down below the right side indicated a crying eye and meant tell them a sad story. A ^^^^^^^ meant a dog that bites lives here, and a design that represents a sickle with a line through it meant that you'd work but be cheated out of pay "a dishonest man lives here", the symbol left behind by the hobo.)

Not a spectacular episode....

Oh, speaking of which.... 2 1/2 Men has syndicated, I just happened to notice it on the date of the series pilot. All I can say is that they must have known they were contracted for at least 13 shows, because the pilot was about as fluid as Brittney Spears at the VMA's.

What was going through her mind do you think? "Everybody is staring at how fat I am!" (which I don't think she is, I find her more alluring with some poundage, but girls always think that anyway) or "Everybody knows I'm wearing a wig! I hope it doesn't fall off, I'd better go slowly so it doesn't slip!"? 
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: September 11, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »

How about, "F*ck ya' all, just give me mah money!"
obertray

« Reply #539 on: September 11, 2007, 12:45:27 PM »

Loathe as I am to involve myself in "celebrealty" I got the distinct impression from the bit and pieces of BS that I saw that she seemed to have finally realized that there are really people out there, beyond the footlights.

It looked like stage fright to me.

This is a person who got up on the stage before she knew that there was anything to be afraid of (it's coming). She grew up without fear on the stage (it's coming!) and then  a light finally went off and she understood that this life is real life and in real life, adults aren't supposed to get up in front of x milion people and shake their whammy fammy!

As the lyric goes "No one respects the flame, quite like the fool who's badly burned, .... Fear must be something learned"  (from Slit Skirts by P. Townshend)

Fame has burnt Brittney bad. Now that she's been sensitized, it'll take real actual talent for her to get back on the stage.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: