Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 10:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27699 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

Serious inquiries only, please:

http://store.hbo.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2783857&cp=2764176&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2007, 03:46:57 AM »

Jbottle's Mouth

"...baby-wipe and make your dick hard commercials...

disgusting...thanks a lot, assholes...and so long...

fucking pathetic...ordinary...and typical...

disgust and disdain...dumbfounded...

extraordinary disgust...exploitative...

fear-mongering bad news...a lie, again...

FUCK NBC..."

Well, that pretty much says it all doesn't it?

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2007, 11:34:27 AM »

I don't know, what does it say?  A string of words that suggest rhetorical excess, taken from their context, doesn't say much of anything.

Relax.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
obertray

« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »

Speaking of Mad Men...

Ep 9 (seen within a day of when it actually ran, so I'm getting better.)

Sort of a snorer this week although there are several things in it this week that, again, sort of contradict the rest of the story. For example they supposedly live in Ossning. While this does tend to make the bit about taking the car instead of the train more believable, there's no reason that ossning would have the Poughkeepsie Journal delivered on sunday mornings. At worst they'd have the NYC papers delivered.

It's no big deal, period. But this is the sort detail abnormality that used to drive others nuts when I brought them up about Sopranos (because they would assert flawlesness about that show). It's only fair, that i note them for this show too.

There is a certain Forrest Gumpedness going on here in that now they seem to be involved in all the things that eventually become hot in the future. The example this week is Betty's past as a model. She spent time in Italy and was cozy (she claims muse status) with a designer who liked to be called Johnny. Betty's neighbor can't believe that he didn't even want to do some petting with Betty and yet he made her all these dresses. They're getting a little boring with the "We didn't even know there was such a thing as homosexuals" routine. The art director of McCann Erickson (was there Erickson back then? ) was also quite swishy, and Betty had no idea. Hard to believe as it is, it has worn out its welcome on the show.

Meahwhile, the central character, as in the pivot point character as in Peggy the secretary, is becoming more and more toxic each time we see her.

Don reintroduced us to the notion that he was going to be a candidate for avante garde of the Drop out, tune out, drop acid crowd we know is on the very near horizon. He took a contract bump that had no tie-up clause (I would spoiler this, but there is no way that anyone watching this show would think that Don Draper is going to leave Sterling Cooper anyway. It's this certainty that made the show a snorer.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »

I watched "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia" on FX for the first time the other night - that show is freakin hysterical

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: September 16, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »

Is it me or is this show getting more convoluted as it goes along?  You need a scorecard to try to figure  out who's doing what to whom (they are all villains, as far as I'm concerned).  And do I really  care about Ellen?  She's such a wimp and so bland, real white bread.  Either it's the role or the actress or both.  I personally do not care much for Rose Byrne.  But I'm going to see it through to the end of the story arc.  Thank goodness it will end at the season's finale before starting next season off with a new story arc.  But it's hard for me to get a handle on this show.

Even my sister, who is sharp as a tack about everything, mentioned it was getting confusing.  So I don't feel so bad.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2007, 02:42:52 AM »

Lulu,

I watched it earlier this evening in a repeat of what I saw previously , just to be sure I didn't miss something; but it is now all over the place.

There are no really big points being made.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »

Lulu, Maddy, I agree.  The storyline is almost--dare I say it?--getting comical.  But, like you, I'm seeing it through to the end, of this season anyway.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »

Monk & Psyche finished their respective mini seasons over the weekend and now the long wait for "the second half" begins...

Thank goodness for the DVD collection so I can rewatch last year's episodes for the second time.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »

Prison Break starts tonight.  Season 3.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »

Can you recap 1 and 2 for us?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »

You're probably asking facetiously but i'll summarize anyway:  (now go look up facetiously and then comment on my reading comprehension MOKE!)

Season 1: In US Prison - Brother 1 framed for murder of vice-president's brother, Brother 2 gets thrown in jail to plan their joint escape. They make some friends (some by choice, some because of necessity) who help in the escape preparation, then execute escape over prison wall.

Season 2: In US, seven cons on the run, several are captured and or killed.  Some loose ends from season 1 tied up, apparent happy ending turns sour in season finale.  Brother 2 ends up in a Panamanian prison where some of the ex cons from season 2 would up as well.

Season 3: Brother 1 must break Brother 2 out of prison.  (basically Season 1 again, but with worse bad guys)

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »

(now go look up facetiously and then comment on my reading comprehension MOKE!)

Go spank yourself, peckerhead
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »

The funniest, most inventive show on TV will be airing new episodes until at least 2011.  Smiley

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/south-park/south-park-to-run-for-another-10005.aspx

With animated tv series, South Park is as good as it'll ever get.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: September 17, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »

Kidkarter: The definition of an Internet Bully who runs home with his tail twixt his legs when challenged.

-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: