Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 07:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14531 times)
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: September 17, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

Can you recap 1 and 2 for us?
(now go look up facetiously and then comment on my reading comprehension MOKE!)

Go spank yourself, peckerhead

I don't think Kamiar handles meat

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: September 18, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »

I like the new badder-ass prison break that presents itself to Michael in season three of Prison Break.  In a sense, one layer of complexity is removed in his escape plan, as the Sona prison is essentially a stockade into which all the baddies are thrown and there are no guards inside.  Basically, there is a no-man's land to cross, a wall to vault, and then you're home-free.  Contrasted with the aesthetic streamlining of the escape plot, is the messy anarchy within the walls and Michael's immediate branding as a pretty-boy superstar who must be either cut down to size or just murdered and added to the body pile. 

I think the writing for this show is brilliant and the characters memorable -- horrible as T-Bag is, I'm glad he's back to pollute the waters with his uniquely clever and reptilian machinations.  I will miss the lunatic, who died in Season Two, who was planning to build a boat and sail it to Holland, and made for some comic relief at various points in the season.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
obertray

« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »

Last night they had (what I would assume was) last season's cliffhanger for 2 1/2 Men (even shows I really like don't get all of my attention, so it was new to me).

It was funny enough that the object of Evelyn's desire was Robert whathisname who still looks quite good for most ages. And then it was funny enough that he won the boys over with hookers (just funny enough).

It was a treat though to see Mike Connors come out of her bedroom. Good old Mannix, I can't remember when I last saw him. BTW he looks good for someone who has been dead about a week, underwater. Could have been his makeup though, after all, he did soon die.

Has anyone heard though, if Robert (Ah crap, ok Imdb, you, know, I came up with Mike Connors, and the other day I dug out ... dang... I had it just until I was going to say it... I blame the availability of Imdb, it's like it has allowed me to clear out all that mental space so that I could put up new cobwebs there too! It's not like there are new memories filling in the spaces left by the ones I don't need anymore.

And that brings me to another question, Why haven't we demanded that the TV companies integrate Imdb with real time tv? How hard can it be to have a button on the remote that you can point at an actor, push the button and the Imdb page shows up on a split screen? Same with a dvd! Come on people, this stuff is just sprocket science!) WAGNER! (I didn't even have to go to Imdb, and Mariette Hartley was the other one! ) is going to continue on in this role? He'd be a welcome twist to the story in a Ryan Childs sort of way.

I do miss Rose, I feel so sorry for that actress who took such bad advice to go for that cross country car race show that we knew would have four flats by Bayone! Damn that Tom Wolfe! Why'd he have to make that rule? It's like the literary equivalent of Murphy's Law.

I had read a few Prisoner reviews at Netflix that were less than glowing (I'm still not finished with the series two more disks I think) but  I disagree (even though I can see their point, so far I haven't introduced or reintroduced the series to anyone who went away with the slightest inclination of seeing another one episode. Further, if you don't look at it in context to when it was made, you're sure to be under whelmed by it, even though there are many stunningly great cinematic moments throughout the series that indicate that the production was miles ahead of it's highest caliber of possible presentation.) I watched the Cowboy episode this morning.

From the very start (as the Prisoner rode his horse along the trail) it was apparent that this was a tongue in cheek effort which is what makes the series so enjoyable to me. They never take themselves too seriously; managing to fill a dramatic presentation with satire of its own genre. There was always a question in this viewers mind, "was this a fullout parody or is this just a village distortion?" I was left wondering until the end and when all was revealed it was refreshingly involving in its surreality (this is in sharp contrast to the "Forget Me Not..." episode where the ending was uncharacteristically explained by No.6 to No.2 thus actually foiling the professor's ingenius con*).

If you haven't seen this series, I heartily recommend it (but then nobody that I have recommended it to so far would second that enthusiasm).

* A classic sf story of putting one man's mind into another man's head. #6's mind put into the body of another so that he would find the scientist who developed the procedure of transferal. Not unlike Total Recall, #6 left himself clues against this eventuality, but with TR, Hauser knew he was going to become Quaid. The Young Frankenstein brain transfer pulled off a pretty cool (albeit obvious) twist in that all three of the people that you wanted to survive did, even though two of the three died. The professor took the enemy agent's body and left the agent's mind in his own, old frail body which then died. the old professor now had a brand new young body with which to continue his works. Neat how the ethical dilema of stealing a body was averted... This is a very very good show.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:15:32 PM by obertray » Logged
obertray

« Reply #573 on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

Further to the Cowboy episode of The Prisoner was the character played like a Star Trek extra (meaning of course that he dies by the end).

He was visualy striking not only for himself but for his resemblence to
is remarkable... I can't find an image of the guy, but he's tall lankie wears his pants up to his armpits and suspenders above that over an orange red shirt and a stovepipe hat. his eyelashes give him a girlish countenance not unlike the eyelash of the druges.

I cannot assume that his appearance is coincidental.
obertray

« Reply #574 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:12 AM »

Last show coming up.

The bedtime story episode I could see turning off a vast majority of persons watching it. It is obviously one of those "we're stretching here" episodes. And yet I enjoy it because that's the sort of guy I am, the kind of guy who will like what he likes regardless of how half empty that glass is!

The penultimate episode reintroduced good old Bailey of the Rumpole Leo Mc Kern as the last #2. I understand that this was at first designed to be a season ending cliffhanger, but then it became the set up for the "Fall out" episode which (because I've been snooping) has been spoilered for me, but generally by people who don't like the show, so I'm not particularly concerned by their appraisal.

I'm anxious to see the end (my family is anxious for me to see the end, so that they can get a movie from Netflix next.)

I fully expect myself to get a computer that i wil bend and twist into a DVR, DVDburner, net appliance so that I can abuse the Netflix online movies (after which time I'm sure someone will offer such an appliance for a low price with a two year sign up to their online movie service, the bastiges)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: September 20, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Ober, glad you are continuing to explore the wonders of The Prisoner.  I remember the storytime episode (that's the one with the mysterious woman in white, the cyanide candles, the whole Bond spoofiness, right?) fondly.  A tale for children of all ages, indeed.

Oh....gas coming in the keyhole again, must run.

Be seeing you!

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: September 20, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »

Not too bad

A Jeff Probst soundalike, similar skills contests to Survivor, but always better to rip off your own network.

Critics silenced a bit when the first kid goes home on his own volition, revealing that each week every kid gets that option.
obertray

« Reply #577 on: September 20, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »

Ober, glad you are continuing to explore the wonders of The Prisoner.  I remember the storytime episode (that's the one with the mysterious woman in white, the cyanide candles, the whole Bond spoofiness, right?) fondly.  A tale for children of all ages, indeed.

Oh....gas coming in the keyhole again, must run.

Be seeing you!

Yes Bond spoofiness, especially the goofy disguise. But the cyanide candles were much more "Wild Wild West" than 007. Oh and the shoe shine agent with the telephone in his shoe brush, I should see when Get Smart started the shoe thing, this is definitely a cousin to that (and a second cousin to Underdog!).

When scoffs at something his boss said on the phonograph record and the boss says "What was that!" Oh nothing... 

It's fun to watch people having fun, and after all the hard struggling that no. 6 did in the earlier episodes, it's nice to see that it is a sense of humor and an appreciation of whimsy that wins the day for him. the reed that bends v. the oak that breaks so to speak. I supose that will be the over arching theme when we get to the end, the rigidity of the analytical computer falls prey to no. 6's flexible mind.
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: September 21, 2007, 05:20:09 AM »

Survivor China anyone, some interesting characters abound. Somehow reality shows have jaded my interest for canned dramas and comedy.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: September 21, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »

Some of us instinctively feel we are getting close to solving the riddle of what the heck Glenn Close and Ted Danson are doing with their Damaged plot.  It should end anytime soon and then we will know what it was about.  Perhaps Ted could invite Glenn to a party sometime over at Larry David's house post-fire-damage repair or maybe even a new house? One never knows.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: September 21, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

Survivor China anyone, some interesting characters abound. Somehow reality shows have jaded my interest for canned dramas and comedy.

Luee

I recorded it - will watch later today.

Certainly interested in discussing THIS (and Kid Nation) over the next weeks, rather than what's been brought up by the masses.
obertray

« Reply #581 on: September 21, 2007, 11:46:07 AM »

The masses?

Man do you ever have a low tolerance for crowds!

Where do you live; In Ted Kazinski's neck of the woods?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: September 21, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »

Anyone planning on watching the new Ken Burns 7-part documentary on PBS about World War II?

Starts this Sunday night.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: September 21, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »

I do, MrUtley.  The series is a 14 parter that is being shown for seven nights, starting this Sunday on PBS.  There's a review of Ken Burn's The War in today's NYT.  While praising him and his cinematic work--including this effort--the reviewer takes Burns to task for presenting WWII from just the U.S. participation point of view, when, infact, the whole world was involved.  Good point, but I'm sure I'm going to appreciate this documentary however Burns has chosen to present it.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: September 21, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »

I do, MrUtley.  The series is a 14 parter that is being shown for seven nights, starting this Sunday on PBS.  There's a review of Ken Burn's The War in today's NYT.  While praising him and his cinematic work--including this effort--the reviewer takes Burns to task for presenting WWII from just the U.S. participation point of view, when, infact, the whole world was involved.  Good point, but I'm sure I'm going to appreciate this documentary however Burns has chosen to present it.

That's a duimbass reviewer for you.

There's nothing wrong with a narrower than global perspective, as long as your not passing it off as a comprehensive view, I don't see the validity of such a vapid point.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: