Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 06:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27554 times)
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: September 26, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »

Can you describe "Cane" Mr. Carter?  I might have watched the premiere last night, but I had sort of maxed out on tv, watching the premieres of both "Bones" and "House."  Tuesday seems to be strong on monosyllable titles.

House remains the funniest not-billed-as-a-comedy show on television, and the final twist on the medical mystery was a good one -- you feel like you should have seen it coming, but somehow you didn't.  (and by "you" I mean, primarily, "me")  The whole kidnapping the guitar subplot was wickedly funny, with little spoofs from Dr. Wilson on the standard cliches of the kidnapping thriller.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »

http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/cane/
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:12 AM »

What I meant was could you elaborate on your one-word review of the show....I've seen the trailer.  If this is a discussion thread, then it's a place to set out your opinions in sufficient detail that it generates a chat, motivates watching, etc.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

Watch it or don't.  The show's off to fantastic start.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »

]
Documentaries are a little different than dramas, Burn doesn't seem to know the distinction.  He treats history as drama.  Of course, it makes it more compelling, but he chooses to cut what doesn't fit within his dramatic sense of events, and as a result there are a lot of gaping holes in his narrative.  He sought out Foner and others to consult him on Civil War, and then chose to ignore their advice.  In this sense, Burn is little different than a television producer.

It's the editing that is a bastard when you are trying to cover that many fields of military operation at once, albeit the personal family histories depicted.

Which is what I meant,yesterday, where ever I posted it, let's see if he plays it straight...

It's the matter of speaking in World History, the other day of what Herodotus tells us and then deciphering a Sol Zaentz production which is of course gorgeous, but what about the thoughts that come to mind at certain points in the dialogue. I can still see Binoche standing there in one of the smaller gothic arch windows exterior paneling for  light source in the ruins, where she is warned about bombs that could be set off as yet undetonated.

Thus my thoughts run wild over Monte Cassino (because I am used to Benedictine monastic life?) and how Burns is sure to be informative with the throw away line, as we watch the Heinie go over the rubble, that the Germans made a pact,or was that a deal?, with the Church not to damage the most famous Monastery in history (outside the Greek that is). I am watching this rerun in my head and immediately have another take and a throw away line, considering, why not Cardinal whatshisface over here in the US requiring a similar deal from Rooseveldt? Well, we know the answer to that one. By setting up their positions in the range of the approach to Rome, they knew that they would attract American fire; and the Americans under fire advanced.

A whole other line personal to me is the concept of yama so da me shi, where a sansei serviceman comes to say goodbye to his parents and can not deliver an alcoholic beverage for this farewell party. Touche! Having watched Japanese weave down the streets, I understand the ceremonial tradition of having a drink formally, so I appreciate from personal contact his equally throw away lines about the nature of this war in rejoinder to the guard who has to follow the rules --about going off to war to defend this country while his parents are behind barbed-wire with armed men posted at the four corners of the enclosure under orders to fire upon possible escapees. "Shit", delete that. I've been watching a whole generation of my peers die off of diseases brought about by being born in or having to play and try to stay warm while undernourished in those camps because our government perceived the incarcerated as racially similarly defined to the nearby local Indian reservations' inhabitants.  

I am now waiting for the Burns follow-up on whom exactly made out like bandits selling the belongings and the SF homes and farm real-estate on the plateau; and exactly who were the defenders of the Americans of Japanese descent who tried to get their homes and property back for them, and tried to stop the disbursement of their more personal property when they lost their Constitutional rights like we all have now, and I am glad to say that I was the obedient follower of a teacher who stood up to do that. You know Americans when they want to be are f......rip-off artistes and opportunists or should I say opportunits?

It's the mirror-face image is so daunting about that war. You find your government imposing the same, "sanctions" as they call them now, so let's just refer to them as procedural necessity from some rule-book in the sky, in regard to the internment of civilians of foreign(in fact, "Eastern") ancestry that reflect back to us the police round up in occupied territory or let's take the Reich itself and the Nuremberg Laws and "detention camps" from Berlin to Paris; and then anybody should wonder too much why as kids we were adults before we learned of these West Coast detainees in the Southwest of our childhood memories. Like Germans, nobody talked about it. "We didn't know..." until after the war(?)

Roger Cohen did an interesting piece in the IHT yesterday for inclusion in nytimes.com. that I ran into by accident by the end of the replay of episode whatever of The War. Making merry at "Soldaten hutte" outside Auschwitz, that I didn't think much of it at first until I really looked at the familiar German love of the camera to document everything and started reading the comments of the blog.  So I consider the request you received, as ironic at crossed purposes somehow but that's just a passing thought.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: September 26, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »

Watch it or don't.  The show's off to fantastic start.

What a louse.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: September 26, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »

What I meant was could you elaborate on your one-word review of the show....I've seen the trailer.  If this is a discussion thread, then it's a place to set out your opinions in sufficient detail that it generates a chat, motivates watching, etc.

barton, got to love you, but man there has never been a book discussed here much less a tv production or film--second thought, qualify that "here" because I really mean what came here from the nytimes.com from two different camps, outside of actual History forum that discussed any aesthetic or historic  or political depth which ever your choice of medium or discipline from any qualified position to do so with one or two or three or maybe four or five exceptions of those who are lovers of the arts and humanities, that means amateurs but they think about what they are saying about what they love.
obertray

« Reply #607 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »

Gee, I feel so special now.

Thanks Madupont.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: September 26, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »

barton, got to love you, but man there has never been a book discussed here much less a tv production or film--second thought, qualify that "here" because I really mean what came here from the nytimes.com from two different camps, outside of actual History forum that discussed any aesthetic or historic  or political depth which ever your choice of medium or discipline from any qualified position to do so with one or two or three or maybe four or five exceptions of those who are lovers of the arts and humanities, that means amateurs but they think about what they are saying about what they love.

Please write in sentences.  You are impossible to read.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: September 26, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »

You still try?  Smiley
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: September 26, 2007, 12:42:22 PM »

At least she knows how to be civil, Mr. Carter.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

Not necessarily, barton.

I could have said, to obertray with love, "you will probably feel extra special tomorrow";or,to the Kid, "have you read any Kerouac lately?";likewise, to Kam,"How are you doing on that Proust thing?".

I readily identify with Coleman Silk being pursued by a jealous woman who does not know that Philip Roth is writing about her in short pithy sentences like Zuckerman Unbound.
obertray

« Reply #612 on: September 26, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »

Tell you the truth I did think you saying that there have been no discussions here worth mentioning was fairly rude by itself. Any further incivility on your part would have been redundant.

But, Barton is the gentleman, I'm the smart aleck.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: September 26, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »

I guess I don't mind Madupont sounding off, because she offers some kind of thought process behind it -- whether I can follow it or not is another matter.  But I like me a challenge.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: September 26, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »

It was rude.  But thats fine.  Thats just internet angst. Which is what this post is too.

I'd just like to not have to drop acid before reading one of maduponts posts in order to "get it".

It hurts my head.

-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: