Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 07:17:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26054 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: September 26, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »

Tell you the truth I did think you saying that there have been no discussions here worth mentioning was fairly rude by itself. Any further incivility on your part would have been redundant.

Don't be too hard on the old dame, gotta be tough when everybody she ever knew who could carry on an interesting and aesthetically correct conversation with her is dead....bored to death, no doubt.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:14:01 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
obertray

« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2007, 08:22:27 AM »

Last night I had them record Back To You for me.

I found out that this was not the series premier, that was last week...

I must say that if it weren't that this show was recorded I'd have switched the channel within the first minutes. Then Fred Willard showed up, then the guy... I think he's the janitor on The Suite Life but I'll imdb him in a minute. showed up. A second banana and a banana peel slipper... this might be worth... (Nope, not the same guy, but he’s  generally a loser type character)

You know, what I really got tired of on Fraiser? That's right... Fraiser. And Fraiser's continued devolution from an affable buffoon to insufferable straightman who steps on all the jokes may not be complete, but it's far enough down the road for me not to want to watch him AT ALL!

I've been watching old Marx Brothers movies lately (as if there's any other type of Marx Brothers movie) and I had also read that Margaret DuMont never quite got the joke that she was the btt of. And yet Ms Dumont had the grace to let the jokes fly around her.It made for a semiperfect straightwoman.

Mr. Grammer is famous for comparing his show to the Jack Benny Show. Jack Benny was a straight man who got the last laugh by milking the pause and letting the audience know that he got the joke.

Kelsey... You're no Jack Benny! You stomp on the comedy because you can't let the joke be on you. You're not funny enough to be the funnyman, and now you're too arrogant to be the straightman.

Wednesday night at 8:00 still belongs to Jon Stewart.

Fox is in the hen house, laying eggs!
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:55 AM »

Tell you the truth I did think you saying that there have been no discussions here worth mentioning was fairly rude by itself. Any further incivility on your part would have been redundant.

Don't be too hard on the old dame, gotta be tough when everybody she ever knew who could carry on an interesting and aesthetically correct conversation with her is dead....bored to death, no doubt.

Well it beats being scorned to death by self-appointed supercilious sycophants of sophistry.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »

"...supercilious sycophants of sophistry."

Try saying that fast three times.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »

What?  Has this become a stopover for pusillanimous nattering nabobs?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »

I think that nabob obertray the gnostic should consult the sycophant from fiction about Gnosticism since there is not only sexist discrimination and racist discrimination but the the addition of  discriminatory Age-ism. Gnosticate on that for awhile.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: September 27, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »

Ageism?  nah.  You don't have to be old to bore people to death...spend an afternoon with MTV for example.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: September 27, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »

It was rude.  But thats fine.  Thats just internet angst. Which is what this post is too.

I'd just like to not have to drop acid before reading one of maduponts posts in order to "get it".

It hurts my head.

Now, you are getting it. It was supposed to do that. Or, do you have some objection to trying to read Proust?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »

Ageism?  nah.  You don't have to be old to bore people to death...spend an afternoon with MTV for example.

Do you normally watch MTV ? Let's face it, you are in here making a boring comment of your own because I just told you where you might find information that you think you already know about Shostakovich and Eisenstein and your reply was to read the book forward from  Ten Days that Shook the World and post it in Non-fiction.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »

of course I watch MTV...I teach music to teenagers.  It is helpful to know where they're coming from.

And yes I have read the forward of the book (which I don't believe mentions the artistic denounciations), as well as the book, and I have watched the film based on the book.  Most people do read the books they are discussing rather than just googling and then doing the cut/paste/cha cha. 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:52:53 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2007, 12:47:32 PM »

I guess that must be nearly as difficult as being menopausal.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »

Ya...and when I approach menopause, I'll be sure to ask your advice on dealing with the difficulties....although, I have to say, I think you might have gotten a bum steer on Hormone replacement.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »

Decent debut

Worth another watch. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: September 27, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

Ya...and when I approach menopause, I'll be sure to ask your advice on dealing with the difficulties....although, I have to say, I think you might have gotten a bum steer on Hormone replacement.

I didn't have any problem with menopause. What you are missing in tacky remarks about whether or not I did what and when is that you too are going to be Older than  you are and it will be your turn to find out that the way you've been  treated, in a forum that I'd rather not mention, will continue to be a disappointment but worse. Women at your age become invisible anyway. It's an interesting experience. And since I already grew past that, sorry but I won't be around to give you any advice.  You were unable to make use of what you had received which was to find out why you relate so badly to other women by insistantly resorting to childhood tactics.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: September 27, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

well...I do have problems relating to women who are stupid, fuzzy headed, egocentric and boring.....

And I would agree that women at my age become invisible....but usually those are the women who have gotten through life relying on their looks and their connections rather than on anything of substance they have achieved on their own.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:33:28 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: