Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 02:57:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14187 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: October 02, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »

Anyone watching Journeyman?

Good stuff.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #691 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »

Watch a cop drama last night called K-Ville, which wasn't particularly good but was sort of compelling simply because it is set in post-Katrina New Orleans and the plots deal with locations and situations most directly affected by the hurricane.  It also has some acting talent in the form of John Carroll Lynch -- you might remember him as Margie's husband in "Fargo" or as Leigh in "Zodiac."  I can't see getting hooked on this every week, but maybe something to look in on from time to time.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
obertray

« Reply #692 on: October 02, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »

Saw Chris Rock on Everybody Hates Chris last night.

I don't know why with this show, but I just don't add it into the regular rotation. It has a good chance now, given that it is up against mostly nothing (only Jon Stewart reruns). I think it's a case both of being on a channel I don't watch and at times that I don't watch them. The cast is good, the characters likeable the premise ok (except that you know how it turns out, so its hard to feel sorry for the boy, he's going to be a multimillionaire! And the show is not very humorous type funny.

The Big Bang theory has indeed shot it's wad. Even I knew what they were talking about when they were talking geekese. I thought last week that the problem might be keeping up with the brainiac speak, but at least they're getting paid for it. Apparently, not enough. Again, the characters are likeable enough, the premise is thin but enjoyable, there are jokes in here and the physical comedy is ok. I just don't see this one going anyplace.

2&1/2. Watched it.

Rules of didn't engage me enough, I'll finish watching it some other day.

Britany Spears...

I'm not taking this to celebreality because I'm more about what the TeeVee ISN'T saying about this deal. How about somebody in the media says "You know, maybe the crowd of 100 photographers, etc around the girl where ever she goes is THE problem. Not part of the problem THE problem." I yell at my kids when they make too much noise around the house when I'm trying to think. I can only begin to imagine how much booze and drugs I'd take if I had that constant buzzing and harassment  everytime I opened my front door.

I'm no Dianophile, but the press of the media swarm cannot be a good thing for people. They're going to kill this one and then just move on to the next one!

Today show advertising... It's not just me. The other morning they had an ad for the new Bob Dylan retrospective cds. Then there was the ad for the new Joni Mitchell cd (don't know if it's new or old) then in the same break there was the Eric Clapton cd ad. On Friday they had had Bruce Springsteen "on the plaza". Today they interviewed Mick Jagger on the release of his solo greatest hits. Then they had Annie Lennox singing a song (which I think she booted, but I don't know, maybe she meant for it to sound like that, I respect A.L.'s genius with a song). Point being... Do I see a pettern developing here? I don't dislike any of the artists herein mentioned, it just strikes me as odd.  Worthy of note.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #693 on: October 02, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »

That's creepy and it's kooky.

you're on fire!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #694 on: October 02, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »

Good stuff.

Yes.

I had a post about this a few weeks back.   I watched part of the taping in downtown LA (dressed up to look like S.F.)

I was standing about 10 yards from the hot dog cart...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: October 02, 2007, 08:04:08 PM »

They're going to kill this one and then just move on to the next one!

Quite literally.  I think that is exactly was has a number of people worrying at the moment.  You half expect to read her obituary any day now...
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #696 on: October 02, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »

Britany Spears...

They're going to kill this one and then just move on to the next one!

Scary -

I know you don't mean this literally, but I was thinking just that today - how the press would feel if this girl offed herself.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: October 02, 2007, 08:29:16 PM »

Good stuff.

Yes.

I had a post about this a few weeks back.   I watched part of the taping in downtown LA (dressed up to look like S.F.)

I was standing about 10 yards from the hot dog cart...

OK - I'll rewatch it and critique your standing around
obertray

« Reply #698 on: October 03, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »

Cavemen: People from rock houses shouldn't live in glass tubes! If I had a wilderbeast thigh bone around I'd have gone all 2001 on my TeeVee by have way through this absolutely unbearable drek! Where's Godzilla when you need him? Speaking of which, they would have shown a bit of tongue in cheekieness if they had Bang A Gong as the theme song, or had the character say, instead of saying "Now we're going to have to listen to James Blunt all weekend", "Now we're going to have to hear him blaring T Rex all weekend again!"

The show takes it's premise WAAAAYYY too seriously.

This show bombed itself back to the stone age!

House: Gaslight! Maybe it's a further reference to it's Holmesian spin. I guess it's ok from a non fanatic pov for them to trhow a couple of extra curve balls for the season ticket holders, I can understand it, even if I don't dig it. (For those who didn't watch it; House was sure that he had seen Chase and the girl around the hospital, but Wilson convinced him that the two were in Aridzona. House then thought that he might just be seeing things.

I'm not sure that Gaslight is a word others use. Around my house we use it in the above sort of scenario. It refers to the old movie Gaslight  where the husband is trying to convince his wife that she's crazy.) As to the crop of students and the old man, this I really like. I wish they were carrying this plot line out beyond the next few weeks. Meanwhile I do notice that the three students are still in the opening credits. I certainly hope they don't become his staff again. I'd much rather see the hospital opt to expand the department and have dueling diagnosticians.

Boston Legal: It's just not the same without Alan getting up and making his speech du semain. Overall a forgettable episode.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:01 PM »

Agree "House" can use fresh faces among his residents.  The winnowing process was pretty funny stuff.  The three from last season are all young actors and probably looking not to get stuck in their roles, so turnover seems natural.   And the change serves overall storyline plausibility -- it is a teaching hospital, after all.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »

Cavemen: People from rock houses shouldn't live in glass tubes! If I had a wilderbeast thigh bone around I'd have gone all 2001 on my TeeVee by have way through this absolutely unbearable drek! Where's Godzilla when you need him? Speaking of which, they would have shown a bit of tongue in cheekieness if they had Bang A Gong as the theme song, or had the character say, instead of saying "Now we're going to have to listen to James Blunt all weekend", "Now we're going to have to hear him blaring T Rex all weekend again!"

The show takes it's premise WAAAAYYY too seriously.

This show bombed itself back to the stone age!

House: Gaslight! Maybe it's a further reference to it's Holmesian spin. I guess it's ok from a non fanatic pov for them to trhow a couple of extra curve balls for the season ticket holders, I can understand it, even if I don't dig it. (For those who didn't watch it; House was sure that he had seen Chase and the girl around the hospital, but Wilson convinced him that the two were in Aridzona. House then thought that he might just be seeing things.

I'm not sure that Gaslight is a word others use. Around my house we use it in the above sort of scenario. It refers to the old movie Gaslight  where the husband is trying to convince his wife that she's crazy.) As to the crop of students and the old man, this I really like. I wish they were carrying this plot line out beyond the next few weeks. Meanwhile I do notice that the three students are still in the opening credits. I certainly hope they don't become his staff again. I'd much rather see the hospital opt to expand the department and have dueling diagnosticians.

Boston Legal: It's just not the same without Alan getting up and making his speech du semain. Overall a forgettable episode.

Epps is back

He let it slip at the Emmys
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:43 PM »

Epps was the most interesting of the three, with the most interesting chemistry with Dr. House -- glad he's returning....I can def see him as a kind of rival to House, maybe nabbing a neurologist post and then clashing with House over neuro diagnoses.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: October 03, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »

Barton,

Don't know if you're still keeping up with Prison Break. The answer to the question I wondered over on Third Eye is that the actress who plays Scofield's love, Dr Sara, just had a baby about a month ago. She's still under contract to the show, but will have a limited role this season due to maternity leave. That's why in Monday night's ep, for example, she was heard, but not seen directly.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: October 04, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »

donotremove, re:#692

The War is running early Wednesday nights through October (think that I counted seven episodes in the original running?).

I guess, as a consequence of this series,I gave up on Damages without missing it?   Unfortunately, it is not included (FX that is) as reruns available on demand.  I might have had just one more leeway of patience left to see how it all turns out, if the more dramatic series hadn't occurred on PBS (where you can find most of the material written or photographed at PBS.org)

I did find that I sympathized with the American girl from Sacramento,Calif., Sasha Weinzheimer, in the prison-camp,San Tomas, in the Philippines for the duration of the war, quite unexpectedly with the last episode when she recounts coming home to the US and along with her parents being asked about her "horrible experience being in a prison camp and what was it like?", only to discover almost immediately as she attempted to bravely tell them -- that they weren't really the least interested as they instead kvetched about their comparative miseries in the US during the war.  That's when she realized it was  hopeless.

They simply could not estimate as Americans the difference between rationing with food stamps and actual  malnourishment which ends in being starved to death; a child realizing in a very realistic way that both adults and children were in the camp hospital overnight and would die  from hunger to the point of starvation. Being children who are always as children curious about everything, they would impromptu say things like, "Seven,last night."; her mother still hadn't filled out after the return to the States, weighing a mere 78 pounds because she had breast fed the baby of the family, her son, for three years, so that they would not lose him.

Photographs, taken near the end or at the end of their detainment when the Yanks arrived and liberated the Philippines, revealed that most men were becoming emaciated at a rate and to a degree getting very close to approximating liberated survivors of labor camps in Europe.  I think that I had forgotten about it over the interim, about Westerners caught by the Japanese invasion of the Philippines, what they looked like and the veterans returning from the Pacific, until I saw these pictures.  In many ways, the war was not carefully prepared for or readily organized from an American point of view as we would believe and had been led to believe.  Makes you even more leery about present day events both here and abroad.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: October 04, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »

Earl, they did a good job making me think Sara was "in" the episode, but now that you mention it, we do only see her from behind looking out the window, or hear her voice.  Well, a baby explains it.  (sentence ambiguity unforseen and regretted)

Can you explain several of the actors wearing long-sleeved shirts or coats and/or hoodies in Panama?  Isn't it like 90 or above most of the time down there?  The actors are constantly spritzed with beads of water to emphasize the heat. 

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: