Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 07:10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 91
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 15400 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: October 10, 2007, 12:13:43 PM »

lulu,

I did give Damages another try last night, after catching the second episode of a recommendation from Donotremove  which is known as Five Days.  I'm missing a lot of dialog from the latter, my knack for British ways of expression is dwindling; but, sometimes the former is nearly as strange when there isn't any dialog and just Patty contemplating the geese flying over the lake.  Even Kiki the cat understood what that was; perked her ears right up.

Last night, it became obvious that Ellen (or the script writer) has read your estimation of Ellen Parsons in this forum.  She even announced verbatim what you have previously said, denied she was that dumb and implied it was all a ploy.  Between that and one suicide (how many more to go?), I've come to a decision this is for viewing only, turn off the sound and make up the dialogue as you go along as some people do when they watch television as a group.

Now that we have had all the revelations about Ray what more have they got to fool us with?  That Patty's son always knew Ellen was a "hottie" and snuck in (although we seriously suspect "another woman") an apartment that he was probably familiar with so he could off the competition?  Seriously, I thought Ray would be dead by now anyway from a terminal illness; but they will probably throw that in as the motive next week.  This show is just too sophisticated for me.  It plays like a soap opera, often sounds like one, so I say (as does Kiki), "if it honks like a goose", takes a formation like a goose, it probably is.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: October 11, 2007, 03:27:33 AM »

We get shows a year behind in Lithuania.  I guess the television stations can't afford the current seasons.  Desperate Housewives has become the house favorite, even though I find it too derivative for my tastes. I'm often noting where the scenes are derived from, much to my wife's chagrin.  Bringing Kyle McClachlan into the show, seemed a pretty obvious tip of the hat to Twin Peaks, especially in the way the writers presented Orson in such a menacing light at the beginning of the third year, only to turn out to be such a pussycat.  Although the show seems to owe more to Picket Fences, which I see has come out on DVD.  Interesting that private dectectives and homicide detectives are black.  First Richard Roundtree and now Ernie Hudson. The whole thing between Susan and Mike and Ian was so ridiculous.  Made me think of Lady Chatterly having to choose between a paraplegic husband and the game warden.  If it wasn't for Tom and Lynette and family, this show would have no center, but even here the writers toyed with taking the centerboard out when they introduced the dashing Rick into Lynette's life, and made Tom look about as ugly as possible in his bedridden state.  Amazing how the men are so weak in the show, like in Sisters from years past.  Carlos seems to hold his own against the Dames of Wisteria Lane, but the others are such drips. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:31:40 AM by Dzimas » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »

I found DH to get pretty tedious after a while.  Had some funny moments, but nothing compelling enough to keep me watching.  Plus, IIRC, it ran in the same time slot as Cold Case, one of the best cop dramas on U.S. television.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »

No such competition here, so we ended up watching DH.  I agree with you, it gets very tedious, but it is fun to watch at the same time.  I don't imagine it has too many years left, as they seem to have squeezed about as much as they can out of these "girls."
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: October 12, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »

Anyone watching "Pushing Daisies?"  We are enjoying the fast pace and banter even as we predict that the coyness will soon overwhelm both.  Hope Chenoweth gets more musical numbers and for more screen time for Digby.  Is the look of the show similar to other Sonnenfeld works (I may have seen some but now don't recall)?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

I've seen Pushing Daisies, but likely won't stick with it for long.  It reminds me a lot in look, feel and (sort of) premise of Wonderfalls, which one of the series' creators (not Sonnenfeld) also created.  (Now parse that!)  I also love Kristen Chenoweth (and the lead guy, who was in Wonderfalls, too) - -but the whole plot point about not touching the girlfriend and dog wore on me by the end of the first episode. That part aside, I do enjoy the writing and even the artificially heightened look of the show, even if every once in a while the hubby or I point out something that was borrowed from Wonderfalls.

Sonnenfeld's done RV (just threw that one in for yucks), Out of Sight and Limony Snicket -- maybe that has a similar look to PD?
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: October 12, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »

Thanks, harrie.  I haven't seen Wonderfalls or the other items cited.  My kid loved the Lemony Snicket books, none of us saw the movie because we figured it couldn't be better than Handler's performances in bookstores complete with singing of the Count Olaf  song.

I almost wish I knew more science so as to understand how the colors in Daisies are produced and envisioned.  "Heightened" indeed!
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: October 13, 2007, 12:34:02 PM »

The process is called "saturation" and it's much easier to do now that things are digital.  You can see unremitting color saturation in the Robin Wms stinkorama, What Dreams May Come.

See also, Tim Burton.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: October 13, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »

Interesting experience, "What Dreams May Come."  Beautiful to watch, but the movie....
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: October 13, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »

Why thanks, barton.  Now at least I have a term I can look up.

I take it all survived The War on PBS, or maybe "survived" just comes to mind in connection with the final ep with the death camp scenes.  Of the tales told/heard in previous episodes before I dozed (no reflection on anything other than the time of night and my work schedule), I keep recalling that of Mr. Medicine Crow, of Montana, I believe, though I forget his connection to the locales of the series (perhaps there was none but his story was too good to leave out).  His army stint enabled him to complete all of the requirements for achieving warrior status--whether he killed any enemies, I don't remember, but I do recall being a warrior only required touching the enemy. 

Anyone else here enjoy the travel channels, PBS shows like "Globe Trekker" etc.?  Now even the Food Network has travel shows, though shots of people eating unappealing foods in exotic locales isn't my idea of entertainment.  With increasing age (and decreasing dollar), this is likely to be our mode of travel for some time to come.

Another board I used to visit had several threads for people visiting (or even relocating to) various areas.  Wonder if there would be support for something like that for those "Escaping from Elba." (I haven't looked at any of the threads in the International section yet.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:31:22 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: October 13, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »

Nytemps, I check the Travel channel for anything resembling "going there, checking out the sights, talking to the folks, and eating the food" type shows.  So far, the only one that combines all that is Anthony Bordain (the former chef, now writer-traveler) and that weird fellow that eats stinky stuff--which I do not watch.  Globe Trekker is also on PBS.  But you never know where you'll run across a travel type thing.  TLC (The Learning Channel) sometimes has one.  And, of course, Rachel Ray is likely to turn up anywhere.  She may be at your front door now.  Smiley 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: October 13, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »

Why thanks, barton.  Now at least I have a term I can look up.

I take it all survived The War on PBS, or maybe "survived" just comes to mind in connection with the final ep with the death camp scenes.  Of the tales told/heard in previous episodes before I dozed (no reflection on anything other than the time of night and my work schedule), I keep recalling that of Mr. Medicine Crow, of Montana, I believe, though I forget his connection to the locales of the series (perhaps there was none but his story was too good to leave out).  His army stint enabled him to complete all of the requirements for achieving warrior status--whether he killed any enemies, I don't remember, but I do recall being a warrior only required touching the enemy.  ...

It actually required killing an enemy. Medicine Crow may have been Oglala Sioux as Lakota Sioux and Dakota Sioux tribal territories (now reservation areas) stretch anywhere from Minnesota, through both South and North Dakota and into Montana. We'd have to check PBS.org to be sure, as they have all the materials on the program series. But, since they were already dealing with a place in Minnesota as one of the four specific regional towns that they were covering to use for examples, there is a pretty good chance he was from Minnesota; as the other areas were Mobile, Alabama, and Sacramento,California and then a northeastern coastal area which I think was in New England where they concentrated on a particular Italian family which was a heart-rending story from start to finish.  It seemed to be so normal between start and finish but it is the record of a young man's devotion to his mother as he keeps everything secretly to himself by pretending it is A-Ok, just in a normal day.

But back to Medicine Crow, whatever his US locale, the locale in which he completed stealing his enemies horses, was in Germany on a Sunday when he figured wrong and thought Germans are Roman-Catholics so they will all be in Church but they turned out to be Protestant and at home when he turned the horses loose to drive them off which is typical Sioux protocol for battle technique. The other qualification you may have found distasteful, is the traditional war practice they used in WW2 as well, but so did American Caucasions in the Pacific for instance, and that is "counting coup" which involves taking a portion of the enemy's physiognomy to attach to your war belt.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: October 13, 2007, 06:01:29 PM »

Nytemps, I check the Travel channel for anything resembling "going there, checking out the sights, talking to the folks, and eating the food" type shows.  So far, the only one that combines all that is Anthony Bordain (the former chef, now writer-traveler) and that weird fellow that eats stinky stuff--which I do not watch.  Globe Trekker is also on PBS.  But you never know where you'll run across a travel type thing.  TLC (The Learning Channel) sometimes has one.  And, of course, Rachel Ray is likely to turn up anywhere.  She may be at your front door now.  Smiley 

I'll get the oil.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: October 13, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »

Perhaps what is being thought of is scalping (which I seem to recall was introduced or adapted by Native Americans from French fur trappers), but "counting coup" as I taught it when I taught US History did not involve the taking of body parts.  I know wikipedia isn't the last word, but their version is in line with that:

Counting coup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Counting coup was a battle practice of Native Americans of the Great Plains. A nonviolent demonstration of bravery, it consisted of touching an enemy warrior, with the hand or with a coup stick, then running away unharmed. Risk of injury or death was involved, should the other warrior respond violently. The phrase "counting coup" can also refer to the recounting of stories about battle exploits.

The term is of French origin from the verb couper, which means literally to cut, hit or strike. The expression can be seen as referring to "counting strikes".

Coups were recorded by notches in the coup stick, or by feathers in the headdress of a warrior who was rewarded with feathers for an act of bravery.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: October 13, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

I'll get the oil.

Ha, you and my hubs both!  She consumes her meals with gusto and sex appeal the likes of which I don't recall seeing since that scene in Tom Jones.

Donot:  Is Ian Wright your favorite Globe Trekker as he is ours?  I sure hope he doesn't decide to hang up the hiking boots anytime soon.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 91
  Print  

Jump to: