Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 05:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27809 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »

Donotremove,

Wow, where do I find that review?[I did subsequently find it while Melba was down], at LATimes. When I started notifying you of the music at the end of Five Days episode, I entirely forgot that I was supposed to be watching my last chance to see Damages last night at eleven! Had missed the Tuesday timing; anyway, I was probably too sleepy to stay awake and make much sense of Damages.

I am up to the point where we have the aftermath of Ray's suicide and the police okaying Patty can go home as she has no responsibility --but from there on I have no memory. You know, fate sometime keeps me really confounded when I find Danson following himself with Curb Your Enthusiasm and I've just spent an hour where he poured himself a drink and read Ray's will left on the desk under a framed desk-photo in that office with the "moderne" window straight out of Gotham.

I've got it that Frobisher is directly responsible for the murder of Ellen's boyfriend but where am I?

Anyway, I enough-ago discovered that I can watch all the repeats of Curb Your Enthusiasm that I want but not Damages because it is FX.

I am of course enthused to learn that Lulu is as "head-spun" as I; because I was beginning to think that I was the only one trying to figure this out and getting taken in every week. I'm wondering if our locals will commit to buying a next season?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/10/damages.html#more

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/10/damages-now-you.html#more

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-sopranos-davidchase24oct24,1,4803966.story?coll=la-entnews-tv&ctrack=3&cset=true

I told you so, Soprano fans where ever you were, either nytimes.com blog of the year or here-ins. Mr.Utley from Nutley(?) in particular.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: October 25, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »

Don't post a link no one can get to and say I told you so.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: October 25, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »

Which link can't you get to and why?

"I told you so" has to do with what David Chase decided at this late date to tell the public about the ending of The Sopranos.   He's very disappointed in what was "his public". Possibly because when he flew off to Europe he saw things that he might have been overly busy to notice until he stopped to look around and he decided his former audience sounded like ingrates.

Personally I didn't indulge in the extremities of reaction that people put into blogs about what happened. I didn't go in for symbology, reading into; it was bad enough that it just ended because I started to watch it when on the way to LA(and) demanding that HBO be functional when I returned just in time to view the opening.  I missed New Jersey and its Italian community much too much to not see every bit of this show for nostalgia's sake.   I was not particularly disappointed as time wore on.  It had to dwindle away and finally stop. Chase was negatively impressed that viewers thought that the family which they had watched for that many years, especially Gandolfini, should be "punished".

Maybe audiences are kind of trite after all.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: October 25, 2007, 07:16:14 PM »

speaking of good TV, and for those of you not on the College Football board...

There is a great game on tonight-- #2 Boston COllege v #8 Virgina Tech.

I'm going to leave work early to go watch it.

also posted there...

With the recirculate button depressed the smoke isn't too bad for the ride home,  but I can't quite hold my breath all the way between leaving the building and getting to my car.

We have hepa filters running 24/7 in the house...

The sky has been so thick with smoke the last couple of days--this has to be what nuclear winter is like...

Pretty much all schools are closed, so the kids sort of get to see what a snow day feels like-- except they can't go out and play outside because the air is too bad...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: October 25, 2007, 07:17:13 PM »

that and the "snow flakes" are ash...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: October 25, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

that and the "snow flakes" are ash...

Steven Spielberg, tall smoke-stack in background, people in village street of Auschwitz death camp below notice the drift falling on the air and think it is snow. Schindler's List.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: October 25, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-howtohelp25oct25,0,1314278.story?coll=la-home-center

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9277

California Burning, today's slides; keep in mind that means today, when referring to Bush promises funds(and take a look at the new trimmed down Arnie).

Also, I need some help with this one:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-federal25oct25,0,6878965.story?coll=la-home-center

Disaster status means more federal fire aid

By Tami Abdollah and J.P. Renaud, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
2:17 PM PDT, October 24, 2007
Here is the 6th.paragraph down:

"But the presidential declaration allows people to seek additional help. People within the seven counties could receive as much as $28,200 to deal with emergency lodging issues, a spokeswoman for FEMA said by telephone from Washington."

Now were these the counties that Bush was trying to gerrymander quietly undercover in the first place?

The blog discussion, underneath, would be indicative of a difference of opinion here.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: October 29, 2007, 01:26:48 AM »

DAMN!  I only got thru episode 10 and missed the last three episodes of the WIRE before HBO took it out of rotation.  Now they're showing episodes 14-25.  Fuck HBO ondemand.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: October 29, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »

I suggest blockbuster.com

Join the cheapest mail order version.  They have Season 1 - you likely need disc 4 and 5, maybe just 5
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: October 29, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

thanks for the tip. tip o'my cap.

-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: October 29, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »

Thanks from me, too.  I did get up to ep 16, but am glad to have the tip for future ref.

My enjoyment of the series continues to come from the little tales, sometimes even asides to the main plot(s), that you can just tell are peculiar enough to have been someone's real experience.  Sort of the "you couldn't make this stuff up" school.

Occasionally, I can't help wishing the females, except the wonderful Greggs and the less-seen but promising woman DA, weren't quite so much just there because of their involvement with the males, but I'm only in 2nd season. There may be riches to come.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:09:16 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: November 02, 2007, 12:43:55 PM »

The fight for better media continues to make news across the country. Tonight, check out Bill Moyers Journal at 9 p.m. on PBS
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: November 05, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »

Anyone remember Love, American Style ?

Little vignettes centered loosely around sex/love in America...

I was pretty young, but I remember really liking the show. It was lighthearted and fun.  It also seemed like a good vehicle for B and below talent to stay in the public's mind.

As long as I'm on that one, how about Rowan and Martin's Laugh In  ?

I guess Dancing with the Stars. et al  have replaced the variety shows of yesteryear...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »

Prison Break is back on tonight right? The World Series etc has interrupted the season. I can't even tell if its any good this year.  I'm getting bored of it.  But i'll give it more time.

-Dave Attell
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: November 05, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

Prison Break is back on tonight right? The World Series etc has interrupted the season. I can't even tell if its any good this year.  I'm getting bored of it.  But i'll give it more time.

What are they going to do with that show?  Didn't the star wind up actually going to prison recently?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: