Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 10:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27783 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: November 05, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »

Prison Break is back on tonight right? The World Series etc has interrupted the season. I can't even tell if its any good this year.  I'm getting bored of it.  But i'll give it more time.

What are they going to do with that show?  Didn't the star wind up actually going to prison recently?

You're thinking of the Tweeter character.  He was killed off in season 2.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:12 AM »

Kam, how far did you get in catching up on The Wire ?  I'm well into Season Two, and note that the TV critic here is recommending catching up with it during the writer's strike.   
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: November 06, 2007, 02:18:14 AM »

Three episodes to go in Season1.

I've seen the rest of the seasons but never all of the first.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
notrab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: November 07, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »

Prison Break

--- Trojan -- a minor character who was killed off last year went to actual prison.  The lead actors remain at large.

Looks like the writers strike is happening and starting to have some effect.  Disparate Housewives is closing the set.  "Lost" may also, though that series doesn't resume until next February.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: November 07, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »

I remember the last writer's strike...can't remember the issues.

Is there a low scale wage that the argument is about?  It's hard to believe they don't make darn good money...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: November 07, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »

Trojanhorse,

It is about the extra refinements to technology that have been added since...

Things like being able to upload programming or films at home or on the go, or on your cell-phone!???

Contracts for actors for instance always include their cut of future earnings when reproducing media comes into play. Screenwriters inevitably get the short end of the stick and have been fighting this battle to have the same rights to reproduction of their written material in performances on new reproductive media since I'm not sure when. I first became aware of it in the late 1980s, possibly anywhere from 1989 through the time when the O.J. Simpson hearings and trial began in June of 1993.  I was living in the same greater household of a young person who had been involved in one of those flabberghastingly dumb series that become popular overnight because there are so many viewers in the same age group; we all had our separate apartments of course -- in a 17th.century Colonial Inn.  Since we saw each other everyday on that daily basis of neighbours under one roof, who interact overly much, I quickly became aware of the true significance of the writer's strike, since young tv series actor was attempting to build her Movie Career.

When the writers strike, the Screen Actors Guild supports the strike. This means, nobody works until the haggling to gain that raise on the copywrighted material is resolved.

If you think television is dastardly dull now, it is going to become shockingly significant, until this chapter is over.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: November 07, 2007, 03:10:31 PM »

I think Journeyman is about all I've been watching lately which would be affected.

I have been waiting for the return of Monk, Psyche and Lost, however...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: November 07, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=4902258&ch=4226714&src=news

just wait through the ad

-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: November 07, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »

I think Journeyman is about all I've been watching lately which would be affected.

I have been waiting for the return of Monk, Psyche and Lost, however...

There's always POKER  Smiley

Actually I get the idea that shows won't be affected just yet - other than those taped daily, like Leno, Letterman, Conan, The Daily Show. etc.......

The CMAs are tonight

And Mike and the Dog just gave me Ace in the Hole (TCM - 8 PM) as a possibility.
notrab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: November 07, 2007, 07:24:06 PM »

Shows like Desparate Housewives are affected now, per various news sources.  Actors, including Felicity Huffman and spouse William Macy, took up signs and joined the picket line today in support of their writers.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: November 07, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

I didnt say they were working

But they have shows already in the can
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »

So long as College Football does not require writers, I will be quite comfortable for the next two months...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: November 08, 2007, 08:33:34 AM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9435

Truth behind the Grin

TV hosts are nothing without writers, says colin bostock-smith, who should know.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9435

Truth behind the Grin

TV hosts are nothing without writers, says colin bostock-smith, who should know.

except that alot of them got their start as writers...
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: November 08, 2007, 02:33:56 PM »

Anyone remember the Andy Dick show on MTV?

Though the man truly is a dick, the show had the funniest damn sketch comedy I've ever seen.

I've searched everywhere and haven't been able to find it on DVD.  The show ran for 3 season and was nominated for an Emmy.

MTV released his "Apprentice" show on DVD, which surely had substantially lower ratings.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: