Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 06:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27555 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »

Anyone remember the Andy Dick show on MTV?

Have not seen it on video.    I think we may have discussed him a few months back here.    He's a funny guy...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: November 10, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »

Did all the TV posters go on strike also?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: November 10, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »

The other morning I was having vague memories of an old show which I think was called Branded

My recollection is that it could hav been Chuck Conners (same actor as Rifleman - though I may be confused)

I remember him having his stripes and his buttons torn off at the beginning of each show --dishonerably discharged for desertion during a battle (although falsely accused).

ANybody else remember this show?  I still see Rifleman on TV occassionaly , but I don;t believe I have ever again seen Branded -- if that is even what it is called...
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »

Yes...there was a show called Branded...one of those where the theme song tells us the entire premise of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmJPnAGUJk
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »

The opening of The Rifleman seemed cheesy even back then.....Notice the shot where Chuck sort of looks out of the side of his face and grins at the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2oZ6Kv_qo
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2007, 07:44:57 PM »

The theme song is probably why I can still recall the show...  I just wasn't sure that was the correct title of the series

I was in elementary school when this show was on and the take off song was

Stranded...
stuck on a toilet bowl
What do you do when your Stranded
...and you don't have a roll...

It went on from there, but gets even more graphic and I'm sure none of you want to regress to elementary school...
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: November 10, 2007, 07:45:37 PM »

On the other hand....how hip is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phvZf6EHac4
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: November 10, 2007, 07:46:42 PM »

Stranded....too funny.  No one quite explores the graphic possibilities of re-ordered lyrics quite the way children do.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2007, 07:51:25 PM »

Yeah they wanted Roger Moore to play James Bond but couldn't get him out of his contract...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: November 10, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »

The other morning I was having vague memories of an old show which I think was called Branded

My recollection is that it could hav been Chuck Conners (same actor as Rifleman - though I may be confused)

I remember him having his stripes and his buttons torn off at the beginning of each show --dishonerably discharged for desertion during a battle (although falsely accused).

ANybody else remember this show?  I still see Rifleman on TV occassionaly , but I don;t believe I have ever again seen Branded -- if that is even what it is called...

Yes, I recall that show, and we sang the same revised lyrics as you cited.  All I really remember is at the opening, Connors stands there stone-faced while his stripes are ripped off and his sabre is broken over his CO's bent knee.  Then Connors is sent walking out of the fort, with those big gates slowly closing behind him.

Plus John Goodman did that whole riff on Digby who created/wrote Branded in The Big Lebowski.  But I haven't seen that show around, even on the Westerns channel, which seems to have every other Western rerun.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

And this is the part where I remind myself to carefully read all posts before posting in order to not cover territory already covered....sorry about that.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: November 11, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

I was kind of looking forward to "Real Time" last Friday, but he makes like six shows before going on vacation and running re-runs, maybe it was eight, but I don't get it...if you're going to run your mouth like he does, you ought to at least make a season of it...I don't get it...
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »

Yes another list, top 50 TV icons. My surprise omission was Bob Hope;

Johnny Carson Tops 'TV's Greatest Icons' List
Nov. 13, 2007, 1:30 PM EST
The Associated Press

It doesn't take a psychic in a bejeweled turban to figure out that Johnny Carson landed the top spot.

But deeper down the ranking of "The 50 Greatest TV Icons," you may find a name that surprises you (or even makes you scratch your head). Which is part of the fun.

The list, released to the Associated Press, was compiled by cable's TV Land network and Entertainment Weekly magazine.

It's the source of a two-hour TV Land special airing Friday at 8 p.m. EST (and is also featured in the issue of Entertainment Weekly appearing on newsstands the same day). The special counts down from Larry Hagman (No. 50) to Carson, with mini-profiles of each "icon" in turn.

But what's a "TV icon" anyway?

Someone who "jumps off the screen into your home," says Henry Winkler, who is ranked 32nd, while Regis Philbin (No. 27) says, "If you hang around long enough, they call you an icon."

Along with human TV stars, the list contains a pooch (Lassie), a Muppet frog (Kermit), a cartoon dad (Homer Simpson) and a full-blown comedy troupe (the original Not Ready for Primetime Players from "Saturday Night Live").

There's one "Friend" (Jennifer Aniston) and two current late-night hosts (David Letterman and Jon Stewart made the cut, but Carson's successor, Jay Leno, did not). TV comedy trailblazer Milton Berle is on the list, though not his contemporary, Sid Caesar.

The list of "The 50 Greatest TV Icons," compiled by TV Land network and Entertainment Weekly magazine:
50. Larry Hagman
49. Calista Flockhart
48. Jimmy Smits
47. Simon Cowell
46. Lassie
45. Sarah Michelle Gellar
44. Susan Lucci
43. Flip Wilson
42. James Gandolfini
41. Jon Stewart
40. Sally Field
39. Jennifer Aniston
38. Bea Arthur
37. George Clooney
36. Diahann Carroll
35. Michael J. Fox
34. Bob Barker
33. Ellen DeGeneres
32. Henry Winkler
31. Sarah Jessica Parker
30. Alan Alda
29. John Ritter
28. Howard Cosell
27. Regis Philbin
26. Farrah Fawcett
25. Heather Locklear
24. Michael Landon
23. Barbara Walters
22. Milton Berle
21. Kermit
20. Carroll O'Connor
19. Andy Griffith
18. William Shatner
17. Bob Newhart
16. David Letterman
15. "Not Ready for Primetime Players"
14. Ed Sullivan
13. Jackie Gleason
12. Dick Van Dyke
11. Roseanne
10. Dick Clark
9. Homer Simpson
8. Jerry Seinfeld
7. Mary Tyler Moore
6. Carol Burnett
5. Walter Cronkite
4. Bill Cosby
3. Oprah Winfrey
2. Lucille Ball
1. Johnny Carson
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: November 13, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

Yes another list, top 50 TV icons. My surprise omission was Bob Hope;

fun to read...

Hope certainly had the TV "specials" but not a series as such right...   more of a movie guy...

I'm more surprised that "Mr Television" only ranked 22, but given how far we are removed from that era, I guess it is not too surprising.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: November 14, 2007, 07:11:33 AM »

trojanhorse* (what's with the asterisk?)

I always felt that Sid Caesar far surpassed Milton Berle in talent.  He was quite a bit more accomplished;whereas Berle was merely zany. I think the era changed just about then from memorable oldies but goodies to a more Rat Pack update amid the talent scouts and the little matter of technology.  I knew of perfectly capable character actors,female, quickly to jump out of their pre-professional amateur status and leap into vocational training to become tv camera persons for the main news affiliates in small midwestern towns.  I wonder what they think looking back on their decision from today's perspective. Where are they now? that sort of thing.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: