Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 09:42:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26105 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: November 27, 2007, 03:40:42 AM »

So what's the title of the Capote biopic on HBO?  It looks interesting.

(I still can't believe In Cold Blood was on a reading list for high schoolers -- at least one 9th grader who did a book report on it was fairly traumatized.)

I can't either, I was fairly traumatized by the screen version; if not that film than the one you asked about, I thought the name was up there when I copied out since I just got the information tonight.

Rather than a biopic, it is the "alternative version" of what Philip Seymour Hoffman gave us.

This interpretation is by Toby Jones, who was also seen in The Painted Veil, which helped ever so much in my understanding that he was an actor's actor and not just the ..... whimsical little guy flitting around with Sandra Bullock in tow or sometimes in tow to her because Harper Lee didn't play those ranking routines with her childhood buddy.

In fact, he was so blissfully light-feathered in the first part of the film as he planned his successful return to literature that I was hardly ready for his fatal fall into the seduction to which he had subjected himself.

As you can see, the cast is truly weird, to all show up together; if you feel any confusion after viewing this odd little movie, in which Paltrow does a smash Lounge singer routine for openers (and then disappears forever), and Sandra Bullock suddenly does a performance that would have won her an Oscar under any other circumstances, just let me know because I kept my cheat sheets of the research I did on which one of the ladies who lunch, and dance for each other is actually Babe Paley. I seem to remember that's Sigourney Weaver.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: November 27, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »

In case anyone else wonders, the title is Infamous.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: November 27, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »

That kind of contrasts it to the other film "Famous",subtitled:InColdBlood

Just threw that in for the heck of it as a bit of humor although I'm about at the point where I wouldn't mind now seeing it again to compare. I did rather prefer Chris Cooper as the resident law man in Kansas; rather than Jeff Daniels who is such a prig  and a sop.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: November 28, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »

I second the vote on Pushing Daisies.  Initially thought it was just too silly to live, but somehow its lunatic inventiveness (Scratch N Sniff bomb plots, Alternative Vehicles that run on dandelions, and the many bizarre ramifications of the Pie Maker's special gift for resuscitating the dead...) and off-kilter wit (the detective loves to knit and subscribes to a humor magazine for knitters called Knit Wit...) reaches some kind of critical mass, perhaps augmented for this male viewer by levels of cuteness (Kristin Chenoweth, Anna Friel) that make Kelly Ripa look a bit worn around the edges, not to mention the hope of someday again seeing Chenoweth bouncing up and down in a mermaid costume that ventures into new and exciting frontiers of cleavage.

Boobs, puns, and grotesque animated corpses -- what more could one ask for??

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: November 28, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »

I'm not much of a TV fan but have always enjoyed the old Dr Who series. Its initial producer Verity Lambert recently passed away :'(:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/nov/23/television1?gusrc=rss&feed=media

``Verity Lambert, the first producer of Doctor Who and one of the most respected figures in television drama, has died aged 71.

Lambert was also the BBC's only female producer in 1963 when she worked on the time-travel drama that grew to become one of the UK's most popular TV shows. She died last night following a long illness, but was "working right up until the end", according to the BBC.``

Few people could match her creativity and artistic vision.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: November 29, 2007, 12:00:47 AM »

So we flipped around the channels tonight and developed a sophisticated -- okay, not really -- drinking game.  Sci-Fi has a show called Ghost Hunters -- I know.  But these guys who mostly debunk haunted places in their spare time also work in real life for Rotor Rooter; and the RR company is mentioned or the guys are shown in their RR clothes so often, you'd think RR was underwriting the show. As far as I know, they're not.  But -- every time Rotor Rooter is mentioned, take a chug.  By the end of most shows, you'll be well on your way.

Barton, she's mine.  I saw her first.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: November 29, 2007, 10:49:50 AM »

Huh

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: November 29, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »

Huh

Kristin Chenoweth -- it's just a girl-crush joke.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: November 29, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

I'm a little slow -- seasonal affective disorder got its hooks in me.   Had a Bill Murray man-crush for several years, but then George Clooney came along.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: November 29, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »

I second the vote on Pushing Daisies...

...Boobs, puns, and grotesque animated corpses -- what more could one ask for??

I hope Harrie will back me up on this: That last comment tells me you need to be renting Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons on DVD immediately.

By the way, I very nearly voted for Pushing Daisies in the above poll. My vote, however, ended up being the lone vote cast for Cane. It was close, though. Very close.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »

Earl, I will back you up on this. Buffy has the boobs, puns and animated corpses -- perhaps the Faith episodes would be a good jumping-off point, given the list of prerequisites. 

My one gripe with Buffy, and it's a weak one, is the overuse of Valley Girl language in the first (partial) season.  On the other hand, those are some of the best episodes, content-wise -- Nightmares (or Lucky 19); Out of Mind, Out of Sight (Invisible Girl); and Teacher's Pet (the substitute Biology teacher) are some of my favorites.  But with Whedon's writing, most episodes have at least one must-catch moment or line; he's a freakin' brilliant writer, IMHO.

Count me in as an FOB (Fan of Buffy).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »

Sci-Fi is running a mini-series, Tin Man (not to be confused with Tin Men or Pushing Tin ) -- it's an alternate take on The Wizard of Oz.  We're watching it. More precisely, the hubby is watching it, I'm puttering and doing stuff because I don't really care for it.  Tin Man is very dark, very dour, very depressing, IMO. 

For example, in The Wizard of Oz, torture was implied and we were mostly scared just by the looks of the winged monkeys as they looked menacing while approaching Dorothy or chasing Toto.  In Tin Man, electrodes are attached to characters' brains, and (I believe) they're killed when they don't give up the info.  It's like Oz has become Gitmo or something.

Looked at the right way, I guess it can be kind of campy, so maybe I should just change my outlook.  Anybody else watch this, and am I terribly wrong and just missing the boat?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: December 04, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

I put "Tin Man" on last night, then did my newsletter and edited some web pages and never got into it. When hubby came home, he had a talker on, so the tv was turned off. I didn't realize it was a mini-series. You are right, that it is dark, scary, and depressing. Even on the commercials, the yellow brick road goes through a scary forest.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: December 05, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »

And now for something completely different...I mean, really.

I watched the final season 3 episode of The Wire but could not figure out who Omar referred to when saying to Stringer Bell "Your boy gave you up." Later we saw a beat-up looking young man being led out, with Bro. Mouzon handing someone a weapon & giving instructions to the effect of seeing that it (presumably the young man's execution) would be done properly.   For story purposes, it probably matters not, but can someone on top of this fill me in?

I remember this scene from when i watched it a year ago.

Avon Barksdale gave up Stringer Bell to Omar.  Told him where to find him.  Remember Avon says to no one in particular in one of the last scenes ... "it's just business"

I don't recall the beat-up young man.  I remember Brother Mouzon told his lackey to take care of the weapon properly as in dispose of it. 

Again, my recollections are not recent.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: December 05, 2007, 09:10:37 PM »

nytp,
I've heard nothing but raves for The Wire, but it's on HBO; which around here means you have to sell some real estate or raise up some kind of ransom to subscribe to it.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: