Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 09:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26101 times)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: January 31, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »

I didn't mind at all the subscripts in last night's rerun of the S3 finale, but then, I also used to enjoy VH1's Pop-Up Video back in the 90's.

Here's an interesting interview with Michael Emerson, the actor who plays Ben:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/tv/5500209.html

This bit is tantalizing:

Q: Tell us a secret about the new season.

A: Consider this: You thought you'd met dangerous characters before, but this season your sympathy system will be dramatically rearranged, and you'll meet characters more terrifying than you'd ever imagined.

Funny that at the time of his first appearance he knew no more about his character than we did. As far as he knew, he was playing a guy named Henry Gale who came to the island in a hot air balloon. I believe, though, that has changed since then and now he is one of only three actors, along with Matthew Fox and Terry O'Quinn, who have been told by the show's producers how the show will play out to the very end.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »

Oooh, thanks for the link, Earl. I totally missed last night's pop-up show, will have to see if it's by any chance online.  I'm a fellow Pop-Up Video fan, by the way.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: February 01, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »

I don't like subtitles of any kind, unless necessary.  I'm a right-hemisphere guy.  Or just bad at mental multitasking.

The flashforward seems to be an effective device for the series -- the Oceanic Six thing gives such a tantalizing sense of what is to come on the Island, and shows different characters dealing with possible guilt over some kind of desertion of the other survivors -- Kate seems to be blocking it off, but Hurley and Jack are deeply affected.  Charlie obeys the rule of "you're never really dead on Lost" and will no doubt keep popping up in ObiWanesque apparitions.

And I suspect Jacob will be a strong invisible maguffin in the coming year, embodying the island's supernatural mysteries as the smoke monster once did.  Hurley joins the club of those who have seen the rocking chair rock itself.

The sense of shifting sympathies that Emerson mentions was also brought to the fore by the mere fact of him as the choice of narrator for the Review Show that preceded the premiere.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: February 01, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

I'd forgotten until last night how Lost can sometimes make me chase shadows. I look for some meaning, something solid to grasp, only to find air slipping through my fingers.

Hugo told Imaginary Charlie that he saw him in the convenience store "standing by the Ho-Ho's." Then later he and Jack play a game of HORSE on a basketball court. Jack quits with Hugo ahead. How far had he gotten in the game? HO, that's how far. Ho-Ho's and HO. Coincidence? (Well, probably it was, but I couldn't help noticing it because my senses are heightened to about "Mick St John on Moonlight" levels whenever I see a new episode of Lost so that I can process these random tidbits.)

Like, for example, I couldn't help wondering if Hugo's reference to "Oceanic Six" had some connection to his six Lotto numbers. Probably no connection at all, but there you go.

I don't mean to make this sound like a complaint. I'm having fun with it.

Any thoughts out there on why Hugo lied to the police detective and said he didn't know Ana Lucia? When the detective first appeared, I thought for a second that the actor looked familiar and wondered what other shows he'd been in that I would have seen. Then he mentioned he used to be Ana Lucia's partner and I had a D'oh moment. "Of course! He's been in Lost, duh, that's where I've seen him."

Also, I could understand very easily Hugo reaching the conclusion (based on Charlie's "Not Penny's Boat" message) that the people on the boat were not to be trusted. But that didn't necessarily mean he had to side with Locke, did it? I fully expected him to look at Locke and say, "I may not be staying with Jack but I'm not going with you, either, dude. You're nuts."

People on the show seem to be calling him "Hugo" rather than "Hurley" more often lately

By the way, I read sometime during the eight-month hiatus that some of the remaining episodes will be flash-forwards, some will be flash backs, and some will be vague enough that we might not be able to tell if they're pre- or post-Island.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:40 PM »

More Lost watchers here, with teener daughter showing more interest than last season. She's still wishing Vincent would come back and come in for more screen time, that Charlie weren't dead, and that Kate would just, like, disappear.  I'm as weary of Jack as she is of Kate, and we both snicker at the Sawyer Scowl, and are both happy to see Hurley get more story, hoping it's not just getting him out of the way early. 

Who would I like to see more?  Rose and Bernard, especially some back story (did I miss that?) and to hear lots more of her wonderful voice.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: February 02, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »

Hurley has moved from comic relief man to a more central character -- a good thing,  I agree.  Earl's comments...

"I don't mean to make this sound like a complaint. I'm having fun with it." sums it up for me, too.  LOL the whole "ho-hos" coincidence.  They do like to mess with our heads, don't they?

Vincent will return, I'm sure.  I'm sure dogs are joyfully in touch with the island's healing powers...speaking of which, at the end of last season there's a flashback where Ben, age 10, meets one of the original Others in the jungle and you may have noticed he appeared to be an older version (gray wig) of Richard Alpert.  30 years later, Alpert seems younger and was the one who accompanied Juliet from the mainland.  Same guy?  Rejuvenated by island mojo?  A son?

As to Hurley's not mentioning Anna Lucia, he's in an interrogation room with a cop...is he really going to say, "Oh, yeah, her -- she shot and killed one of the passengers and then later was murdered herself -- let me tell you all about that!"  Does the phrase "can of worms" come to mind?

Another thing that made my Lost antennae quiver -- Ben's use of the phrase, "every LIVING person on the island will be killed" [by the freighter people].  Normally, I would just view the adjective "living" as a way of speaking dramatically or whatever, but this is the island we're talking about, where it's uncertain how dead the dead people really are and you have people like Jacob whose metaphysical condition is pretty uncertain.  Is there a hidden meaning to Ben's turn of phrase?

What fun.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: February 02, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »

LOL the whole "ho-hos" coincidence.  They do like to mess with our heads, don't they?

Seems I dismissed that one too soon. I cannonballed into a Lost blog today and discovered that the letters "HO" also appeared written on a board somewhere in the episode. I hadn't spotted that. Here's the theory, which I'll copy&paste from the site:

perhaps, maybe, "HO" could refer to the element Holmium:

A trivalent metallic rare earth element, holmium has the highest magnetic moment (10.6┬ÁB) of any naturally-occurring element and possesses other unusual magnetic properties. When combined with yttrium, it forms highly magnetic compounds.

Holmium is a relatively soft and malleable element that is fairly corrosion-resistant and stable in dry air at standard temperature and pressure. In moist air and at higher temperatures, however, it quickly oxidizes, forming a yellowish oxide. In pure form, holmium possesses a metallic, bright silvery luster. Holmium oxide has some fairly dramatic color changes depending on the lighting conditions. In daylight, it is a tannish yellow color. Under trichromatic light, it is a fiery orange red, almost indistinguishable from the way erbium oxide looks under this same lighting. This has to do with the sharp emission bands of the phosphors, and the absorption bands of both oxides.
Because of its magnetic properties, holmium has been used to create the strongest artificially-generated magnetic fields when placed within high-strength magnets as a magnetic pole piece (also called a magnetic flux concentrator). Since it can absorb nuclear fission-bred neutrons, the element is also used in nuclear control rods.

Here's the blog if anyone wants to read more:

http://blogs.chron.com/tubular/archives/lost/

There is a long (and mostly entertaining) recap and analysis of the episode. It's filled with links and mentions more than a few theories. One of the most interesting involves the man who visited Hugo in the hospital and didn't have a business card to offer him. Apparently, the guy's name, Abbadon, is a reference to something in the Revelations chapter of the Bible and all sorts of other weirdness.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: February 02, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »

With the Ana Lucia denial, I think the can of worms explanation is likely a good one.  But I spent some time trying to recall whether Hurley had met her or somehow not met her.  He could have said, "Yes, but she was injured in the crash and lingered long enough for us to learn her name, but she didn't survive her injuries." 

Thinking about where the conversation could go from there, I'd say not opening that can of worms might have been the right choice. But -- what if opening that can of worms (and other cans of worms) is the key to the Oceanic Six getting their lives back on track? Meaning are they -- or at least Hurley and Jack, so far -- miserable because they've buried the past (whatever that entails, island-wise) rather than deal with it?

Earl, did you notice in your blog reading (or anyone's recollection) whether Jack had ever told the guy on the other end of Naomi's phone his name?  I didn't recall his ever saying "This is Jack;" yet, the parachutist lands and says "Are you Jack?"  Or am I just inventing a conspiracy?  Wouldn't be the first time.

I thought it was interesting that Ben wanted to go with Locke -- I mean, I might not want to go, bound, with the guy who I'd just shot in the gut a couple days earlier. But staying with Jack, who'd pounded the crap out of Ben, wouldn't be much more pleasant; so I'm thinking/wondering if Ben actually knows something, and isn't (for once) just trying to manipulate events by saying he knows something nobody else does.

With the cabin scenes, I was confused -- basically by Hurley's turning from the cabin and then seeing the same cabin in the opposite direction, then being able to will it away, so to speak.  Sure, maybe it was a figment of his imagination -- but what if he has Walt-like gifts and just doesn't realize it and/or know what to do with it?  (Hence Charlie's "I'm dead, but I'm here" line and being able to slap him.  Or maybe that whole scene, including the other patient, was a Hurley hallucination.)  That would certainly drive me to the land of bathrobes and meds.   

Sawyer didn't drop one snarky nickname throughout the show, did he? 

I was hoping ABC would rerun the episode tonight -- it's not like they have tons of new stuff hanging around -- but I guess that was too much to ask for early in a new ratings period.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: February 03, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »

You don't need them to re-run the show. Just go to abc.com and watch it at your leisure.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »

Thanks, Kam. But there's scuttlebutt about Jacob looking like Jack's father, and I saw John Terry's name in the credits so I'd believe it, but I just want to see if I can get a better look.  And that better look isn't going to happen on my computer monitor.  If I have a slow day at work, maybe I'll watch it there, though. I know various sites have screen caps and stuff, but that feels like cheating.

So....any ideas whose eye that was?  Jacob's? Locke's?  Hurley's, in some trippy, time-bending, alternate dimension way?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: February 03, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »

The HO stuff is almost unbearably clever, which makes me think red herring, BHWDIK?  Remember the blogosphere theory a year or two back that the Island was keeping the earth's magnetic poles from reversing?  Kind of like that.  The only thing that I can grasp onto with any degree of certainty is that there is a magnetic anomaly and the well-documented fact that strong magnetic fields can affect the brain in odd ways.

On the Jacob matter, I got lost somewhere in your questions, Harrie -- when does Hurly SEE Jacob?  I thought Jacob was an invisible dude (I'm talking like Hurly now) that tilted rocking chairs and broke windows when upset. 

I do think rejuvenation is going to reappear as one of the mystery themes, given Richard Alpert's transformation over three decades, and perhaps that will somehow dovetail with magnets and ho-hos and such.  Indeed, it seems possible that Jacob is some kind of Later Stage of being an Other.   And maybe the smoke-critter is another intermediate stage.  For all I know, smoke-critter is what dogs turn into, and someday Vincent will be a smoke-critter. 

Patchy is clearly indestructible, so will survive the underwater grenade for sure -- he's been speared, his brain boiled in a giant microwave, and generally knocked about, and keeps coming back for more.  I expect him to make trouble, maybe on the freighter at some point.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: February 03, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »

The Tubular blog is pretty funny stuff.  Apparently,  I was distracted for part of the cabin/Hurly scene and so missed that Dr. Christian Shephard, aka Jack's dad, was in there taking a break from being dead or whatever.  It seems to me, as it does to the blogger cited here, that Jack's dad is not Jacob, but that possibly Jacob's cabin is some sort of hot spot for the local dead people.  This got me to start composing a list in my head of all the people who could be hanging out in Jacob's cabin -- U.S. Marshal whosits, Gary Troup (the author who was sucked into a jet engine in the first five minutes of the series), Shannon, Boone, Ethan, Handsome Pointed Stick Guy (sorry, I'm terrible with names) (he was the other mole who pretended to be a passenger), Libby, Anna Lucia, Mr. Eko, Mr. High School Science Guy (remember the dynamite?), Mr. Friendly/Tom, Locke's fake kidney-thievin' dad, the underwater dykes, and last but not least, Charlie (plus maybe a dozen miscellaneous others and Others).  If they're all jammed in there with a dead polar bear soul, I'll bet "Help Me!" is about the most understated and least profane quote we're going to get from them.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: February 03, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »

Earl re:#954
                                                      Avaddon,the place of Destruction
In Revelation 9:11, it is personified as Abaddon, "Angel of the Abyss",[1] rendered in Greek as Apollyon; and he is described as king of the locusts which rose at the sounding of the fifth trumpet. In like manner, in Rev. vi. 8, Hades is personified following after death to conquer the fourth part of the earth.

ABADDON, ("Destruction"): In the Old Testament a poetic name for the kingdom of the dead, Hades, or Sheol (Job xxvi. 6; Prov. xv. 11, where Abaddon is parallel to Sheol). The rabbis used the name for the nethermost part of hell. In Rev. ix. 11 the "angel of the bottomless pit" is called Abaddon, which is there explained as the Greek Apollyon ("destroyer"); and he is described as king of the locusts which rose at the sounding of the fifth trumpet. In like manner, in Rev. vi. 8, Hades is personified following after death to conquer the fourth part of the earth. In rabbinical writings Abaddon and Death are also personified (cf. Job xxviii. 22).

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Abaddon

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: February 03, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »

Who would I like to see more?  Rose and Bernard, especially some back story (did I miss that?) and to hear lots more of her wonderful voice.

There was one episode (last season, I think) which explored the back story of how Bernard and Rose met and fell in love. We learned then that Rose suffered from some illness which was never specified, but it was strongly suggested that her condition was terminal. She and Bernard traveled the world looking for some miracle cure, but no luck. Then they crashed on the island and Rose's condition was better. It was also revealed that Rose recalled seeing John Locke in his wheelchair in the airport before boarding the flight and she knows that he couldn't walk before and that he can now. She made a comment to him that went something like, "We both have reasons for not wanting to leave this island, don't we?"
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »

As to Hurley's not mentioning Anna Lucia, he's in an interrogation room with a cop...is he really going to say, "Oh, yeah, her -- she shot and killed one of the passengers and then later was murdered herself -- let me tell you all about that!"  Does the phrase "can of worms" come to mind?

Another thing that made my Lost antennae quiver -- Ben's use of the phrase, "every LIVING person on the island will be killed" [by the freighter people].  Normally, I would just view the adjective "living" as a way of speaking dramatically or whatever, but this is the island we're talking about, where it's uncertain how dead the dead people really are and you have people like Jacob whose metaphysical condition is pretty uncertain.  Is there a hidden meaning to Ben's turn of phrase?

What fun.

Excellent points, both.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: