Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 06:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27986 times)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: February 03, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »

Earl, did you notice in your blog reading (or anyone's recollection) whether Jack had ever told the guy on the other end of Naomi's phone his name?  I didn't recall his ever saying "This is Jack;" yet, the parachutist lands and says "Are you Jack?"  Or am I just inventing a conspiracy?  Wouldn't be the first time.

I kind of remember that in the S3 finale when Jack first made contact with the freighter that the guy on the other end said, "Who is this?" and Jack identified himself. But I could be wrong.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: February 03, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »

Has anyone watched Gabriel Byrne as yet, new series: In Treatment?

I saw one segment tonight; they are done in half-hour episodes of psychotherapy.  He does this quite well. I have not yet made up my mind about this experiment. But, it is interesting; and intense. HBO

Ps. Breach is on tonight, Chris Cooper as the historic sell-out  to the Soviets; in about 20 minutes, HBO.  As I remember this, lot of pressure and suspense: will the spy sent to spy on the spy get out of the desk-drawers in his boss'office before the boss-spy finishes coming down the hall and opens the door?
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: February 04, 2008, 02:03:56 AM »

There was one episode (last season, I think) which explored the back story of how Bernard and Rose met and fell in love. We learned then that Rose suffered from some illness which was never specified, but it was strongly suggested that her condition was terminal. She and Bernard traveled the world looking for some miracle cure, but no luck. Then they crashed on the island and Rose's condition was better. It was also revealed that Rose recalled seeing John Locke in his wheelchair in the airport before boarding the flight and she knows that he couldn't walk before and that he can now. She made a comment to him that went something like, "We both have reasons for not wanting to leave this island, don't we?"

Of course, thanks much, Earl.

Starting out, that "Tubular" blog is amusing, but it quickly becomes a matter of wondering who and why then abandoning it feeling sorta sad. 
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: February 04, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »

I had to LOL at analysis like this...

"Kate informs Jack that she too has found a blood trail, and perhaps Naomi is trying to trick them by doubling back and leaving multiple trails. Jack thinks it's adorable when girls try to "think" and "make plans" so he gives Kate a big hug and sends her off to the beach where she can re-apply her makeup and comb her hair so that she's pretty when the rescuers arrive."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: February 04, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »

Barton

It sounds like your tv series people ought to go see the star of this other tv series:

http://www.hbo.com/apps/hodschedule/hodcategory.do?CATG_ID=PMRS8020   

In Treatment

I'm recommending it to everybody now that I know how to find the danged thing. It's begun the second week but last week's five performances are available On Demand but it is somewhat tricky to know exactly where you are going since it is listed under HBO series.

I tried to guess off the top of my head, kind of like the forum Movie Trivia, what Gabriel Byrne was about in this new whatever and figured they probably meant -- drug rehab?  Nope.  this is the real deal: Psychotherapy, played by  tv actors but, for the public.

Go ahead. Think of a problem. They've got it.

I accidentally meandered into the one, already(?), yes, where the young woman named Laura  develops "transference" in the first week!

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: February 04, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

Has anyone watched Gabriel Byrne as yet, new series: In Treatment?

I saw one segment tonight; they are done in half-hour episodes of psychotherapy.  He does this quite well. I have not yet made up my mind about this experiment. But, it is interesting; and intense. HBO

Ps. Breach is on tonight, Chris Cooper as the historic sell-out  to the Soviets; in about 20 minutes, HBO.  As I remember this, lot of pressure and suspense: will the spy sent to spy on the spy get out of the desk-drawers in his boss'office before the boss-spy finishes coming down the hall and opens the door?

It's a GREAT show. Terrific acting and very stimulating.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: February 04, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »

Gabriel Byrne in a tv series about psychotherapy almost makes me want to subscribe to cable!

BTW, see Byrne in the kangaroo noir, "Jindabyne."  He is excellent, as always.

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: February 04, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »

Barton~~
He's so very good in this role -- although I'm biased -- really enjoy his work -- wish he did more.

Don't dance on a volcano...
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: February 04, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »

I'm biased, too (my tagline, below, is a quote from Byrne in Miller's Crossing). 

obertray

« Reply #969 on: February 04, 2008, 03:51:01 PM »

Super Bowl ads,

Can I just say that this year had the worst overall crop of Super Bowl ads?

Ironic in that this year had one of the best games of it's history. Enough "if onlys" to keep even the mostly disinterested, interested.

The ads I did like included the preshow ad with the deaf visitors to the deaf host's house1 The pepsi Max ad, made all the better with Chris Katan telling people to "Stop it"2 huh.... I'll give the Witch Doctor one one thumb up (and not protocolgically speaking), and I thought that the Unibrow was pretty funny (but then, I don't watch Ugly Betty)

Speaking of pretty Tom Petty. How lame was that!? No redeeming social value at all in that. Gimme the Stones (who are older than their namesake and yet still can put out the goods) or Gimme Prince, but Tom Petty is background music.

Oh, and HD, There really is a difference. Really. Do we NEED it? No, but it really does look better.

In case you didn't see them

1 The two guys in their truck don't know which house their friend lives in. They are signing each other, there is no sound in the ad. They decide to deduce which house is the one they are looking for, the driver lays on the horn until the neighbors turn on their lights, the house without the lights is his. Clever.

2 The characters in the ad are nodding their heads, about asleep. Then they drink the product and they are super awake, bobbing their heads to the sounds of "What's love? Baby,don't hurt me" as did messrs Katan and Farrell in the SNL skit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:58:37 PM by obertray » Logged
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: February 04, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Tom Petty looks like the Burger King guy without the crown.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: February 04, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »

except that the burger king knows how to sing before a large audience without lip-synching.
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: February 04, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »

I must say that I enjoyed Janet's titty pop moreso than Petty's shitty rock

When will the Superbowl put on a decent halftime show?

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: February 06, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »

I cannot address your Petty concerns right now.

Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »

One thing about "Lost" -- never lacking for mass quantities of new and ambiguous information to absorb.  Just what was that gizmo that Miles (Asian ghostbuster) flipped on in the dead gangsta's room -- looked like a handvac choking on a cogwheel?   

Enjoyed Hurly's booboo where he starts to mention seeing Jacob's cabin and then covers, when Locke starts probing, with "oh, the, uh, passenger cabin...on the plane...."  Lost's most lovable character and worst liar (clearly due to lack of practice).

And there's the polar bear bones somewhere in Africa with the Dharma project strap buried along with, the chopper team's manhunt for Ben, the always bizarre Jeremy Davies (who I've never seen play anything like a normal human), the whole fake-815 crash site off Indonesia (just how big is that shadowy cabal??), and what makes Daniel (Davies) go boohoo in the first-news-of-815 flashback? 

And finally Ben's bombshell, "I have a man on the ship," after amazing mnemonic feats in which he spews out entire CVs of the chopper team while most likely suffering from head injuries and dehydration.

And what about that bullet that went through Locke -- last season, it sure looked like a gutshot to me, not a through-and-through you could just dismiss with I don't have a kidney there so no problemo.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: