Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 07:30:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27729 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »

OMAR LIVES!  He survived jumping from the 5th floor balcony with a broken leg.  No bulletholes most importantly.  And he comes back with a vengeance.  "I'm calling Marlo a straight bitch" he says to Fat Face Rick.  Rarely have i heard a curse word uttered with so much fury.  We know how much it means to say something like that, as in an earlier episode, Junebug, his muscle, and his girl all got shot to death because people in the streets were gossiping that junebug called Marlo a ****sucker.  So calling Marlo a straight up bitch and calling him out into the streets like that is REAL.  "This aint about the money, this is about hurting his people, messing with his world" he tells Marlo's muscle.

I like that he is not killing everyone.  Just enough to make his point.  Letting others live to tell the tale.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »

It does seem like the ultimate showdown of the final season will be between Omar and Marlo (whose names remind me of the whole Harpo/Oprah thing with The Color Purple not to pull a Lost fan kind of trip...)

The recent "war story" of the type I love to spot in the series was when Bunk pulled the files (which seemed on the thin side, but never mind) on the 22 row house murders, started reworking the cases and went to the forensics lab following up on trace evid. from 14 of them, only to find that cutbacks in personnel meant the hiring of a temp to file, which temp knew not the meaning of "et al." so mixed all the evidence from the cases together, leaving no way of knowing which evidence pertained to which site/murder it was taken from.  I absolutely believe in the truth of that scene, and wish all viewers of CSI and such like would see it.  (OTOH, if would-be criminals watch such shows as CSI and believe in the superhuman powers of forensics folk, and if such belief has any deterrent effect at all, maybe seing bureaucratic SNAFUs wouldn't be in the public interest.)

I also believe that "secret" grand jury proceedings were in the possession of Prop Joe. 
(In that regard, could someone could tell me the specifics of why Prop Joe was killed?)

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: February 12, 2008, 06:41:04 PM »

Prison Break seemed to move along this week, which was good, as the "season" ends next week.  Credulity took a hard stretching last night, from the gunfire tape recording to the "crawling out under the trucks and hoping nobody ever looks down" escape.   Next season looks like it might be rescuing Sucre, unless miracles develop next week.

I also liked that T-Bag could reach underneath a jeep and retrieve a book in full view of guards who have guns pointed at him, then stick that book in his back pocket, then be interrogated without being at least frisked by soldiers who have no ethical quandries regarding torture.

Re your last sentence: Haven't you been watching the show? Miracles happen every fifteen minutes or so.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: February 12, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »

I also believe that "secret" grand jury proceedings were in the possession of Prop Joe. 
(In that regard, could someone could tell me the specifics of why Prop Joe was killed?)

Yes they were in his hands and he used them to warn co-op members when they were about to get raided/busted whatever.  He was killed for totally separate reasons.  He was the head of the co-op because he had the connect to Vondas and The Greek for "the good shit".  Once Marlo convinced The Greek that he would keep coming back (with suitcases full of clean money) unless they dealt with him direct, Prop Joe's fate was written.  The moment The Greek agreed to Marlo's 'insurance' deal, that insurance kicked in as Marlo no longer required Joe.  Joe tried to be a fatherly figure to Marlo, taking him under his wing.  But as Marlo said, "I wasn't meant to play the son".  Now that Marlo has removed Joe, the connect and the co-op are both him.  Now he runs everything, and as he said at the last co-op meet: 'price of the brick going up. thirty more'.  Marlo doesn't play the game like Avon did.  Avon played for cash, cars, women.  Marlo plays just to be the king.  Just to wear the crown.  Thus, he has no love for anything but the game.  And in that game he is a cold ruthless leader, the new breed who doesn't follow any of the old codes. His idea of winning the game is running Baltimore.  Now he is going to leech off of Levy for his guidance.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: February 12, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

Thanks so much for the recall assistance, and Marlo does seem to be without loyalties, unlike Prop Joe and the OG's, Barksdale & Bell, who the viewer can see coming up together in the projects--the final scene between the two still resonates with me.  We have seen other sides to many other characters, but not Marlo, and not "Snoop"--who seems like one that a writer would love to write a back story for. 

Another fave moment from recent ep: Freamon viewing pic of Marlo & others, figuring out that they are looking at cell phone pix instead of reading text messages, since they are "products of Baltimore public schools."  Ouch!

Speaking of said schools, wonder if we'll get to see Prez et al. again before it all ends.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: February 13, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Earl,

LOL, yes, I needed a term that upped the ante beyond mere "miracle."   The show, by its nature, will need to finish up in the next year or risk jumping the shark.  An indefinite plotline about career escapers seems hard to support.  (I still think the model for such shows remains The Prisoner, which went from capture to escape in 17 episodes...)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: February 13, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Wot! not a single freakin' one of ya watched Bernard and Doris, in the B.Balaban version while it is still being offered to you?
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: February 14, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »

I'm not sure what you are talking about....dog show?

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: February 14, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »

Ms. Maddie:

Yes, I for one caught the special -- it was worth a look-see for sure.  In particular, Fienes was fine, as usual.

D. Duke's contributions to Newport  (just over the "bridge" for me) are immeasurable -- nearly one hundred (now lovely) "historical" homes were restored due to her monied interest(s).  She really did much to change Newport from the sleazy bar/primarily Navy town it was to the quintessential resort that it is today.   Of course, along with that comes the whole tourist scene -- and the traffic -- but during the winter months it's great...

Again, for anyone who may have missed Bernard and Doris seeing the aging Sarandon and quirky Fienes together is well worth the two hours.

Don't dance on a volcano...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: February 14, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »

kitinkaboodle,

Well, people forget that it was a Navy town because it was the quintessential East Coast port for French vessels coming into what is now the New York area(Niew Amsterdam being a new Dutch town become old when the British arrived) which allowed the two colonial powers, France and Britain, to get it on for a little something called The Seven Years War(this is by the way my favourite Daniel Day-Lewis, in case anybody can't tell, for Last of the Mohicans).   

I would guess the old homes, Doris organized, belonged to former traders bringing goods into the area. We have a lot of those in New Jersey as well from that period, mostly from Scotsmen rather than French merchants; and many of those  are going to wreck and ruin even in the Princeton area which was a Scots settlement quite early in the 17th.century.  People at the Jersey Shore say the same thing about the tourists. Believe it or not, I've never been to Newport for the Jazz Festival; missed my opportunities when I had the endurance to weather the scene.

I think the tourist season largely results from the former Yachting summers of the New York Fifth avenue set, see Daniel Day-Lewis again in Martin Scorcese, Age of Innocence for the beginning of what would become the Yachting era, in fact, wasn't that a Newport scene with Winona Ryder?  (Now, the Ritz-Carlton is selling "vacation homes" in the worlds best beach fronts while they are.)

Since I watch everything Raf Fiennes does in the movies, why not television, I even caught the Harry Potter role which seemed to give him a kick as Lord Mordrun or whatever but not me in particular. Perhaps I was too tired waiting up to see it.  He has a wild sense of humor, so I can see why he would not turn down the offer to be Bernard Lafferty; and he did it awfully well. You might say, "Beyond Anthony Hopkins"!

He does have a thing for dressing gowns, though; like he did in Red Dragon while frightening Philip Seymour Hoffman to death.

Sarandon rather surprised me, because recently her performances are sometimes obviously hyper-thyroid, but this one was right on "the money". I had a friend much like her portrayal of Duke, with a family you might say was very into the Law,her two brothers at the Justice Department, so I understood the little quirks of enthusiasms that Doris took up as shown in this film, all of them quite accurately displayed. I can even understand her enthusiasm for Bernard, the shy, self-negating or self-obliterating person as Fiennes plays him, because it was well known that Doris Duke was a shy, awkward girl who resented publicity about her private life, especially because of the Depression when you become keenly aware for the first time(she was in her teens to young adulthood then) of the envy that turns into hatred of your existence--which is why most heiresses were labeled "Poor little rich girls" (but that may have been about Gloria Vanderbilt originally?).

Balaban probably decided Sarandon would bring a lot of "Energy" to the portrayal.  Doris in reality ,the more adult  she became, had one of those faces you never forget, a little like the Glenn Close look that Donotremove once remarked about (in the recent series): positively witchy.

In fact that is something they reworked in the production by the face-lift episode slated into her motivations for keeping Bernard early on. When in fact, she fell because of medication and pain-killing booze (as shown) after her face lift, at which time she was already in her eighties, and broke her hip, which meant that she was dead within the year.

Something similar happened to my great aunt who neglected to tell my sisters or my mother that some shrewd doctor had talked her into cataract surgery when she was 97 years old. She wanted desperately to keep on reading. She never recovered consciousness while yet on the operating table.

I have one of two nieces(who are sisters)going to school up there in Rhode Island at Brown,must be close to graduating, but I have no idea in what or as what, because my sister always forgets to answer when I ask her.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »

Sayid:  The day I trust BEN is the day I sell my soul

Flash-Forwards indicate a soul was swapped at some point

Once a torturer, now an assassin.  Cool!

Who else will Sayid kill to protect the Lost survivors?

How long has he been working for Ben?  Is Kate also?  Is Ben the "he" Kate was referencing last year when she said "he's going wo wonder where i am" to Jack?

This show only produces more questions.  The answers it gives are few and far from providing closure.

-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: February 15, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »

The girl who looked like Trishelle from Real World Elsa (whom Sayid eventually offed) had the same bracelet that Naomi had.  The writers even went to the point of Sayid closing the womens eyes, then removing the bracelet - almost ceremonial, and definitely meant for viewers to notice. So it's probably a red herring. But it got me and the hubby debating whether the Trishelle Elsa vignette was a flash forward or back.   

Any significance to the RG inscription on Naomi's bracelet? They didn't show one on Trishelle's (I don't think, anyway), so can't tell if they're the same precise bracelet or just the same style, etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:27:34 PM by harrie » Logged
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: February 15, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »

Yeah, I caught the soul-swapping there, Sayid.  Seems like a flashforward, since euro-smoothie golfer is told by Sayid he's an Oceanic Sixer before Sayid shoots him.  Too many questions for speculation to get far...what's Ben doing with a kennel full of pooches in Germany?  Why does Ben have 47 fake passports back in Otherville?  Who are the last two Oc. Sixers?  (or does Ben con the world into thinking he was on the flight?  Then we've got five.)  Where does this flashforward fall with respect to the Jack/coffin FF?

LOL Hurley's "great, they sent us another Sawyer" quip!  LOL Miles's trade value relative to C.S. Lewis.  Red-herring-flavored LOL to folk named Faraday and Minkowski, the physicists who broke ground on magnetism and spacetime distortions.

Respectful head-scratch for Daniel's rocket experiment -- not long after Jack asking about the Red Sox and reminding us it's 100 days since they crashed -- so maybe time travels at a different rate on the island.

Time to fire up my dustbuster and blog on to Theresa in Houston.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »

Unless there's a group called the Oceanic Six who are six plants put on the flight by, say, Ben?  The cava was flowing pretty freely last night, so factor that into the previous thought.  Dogs are used a lot in laboratory research - I was kind of looking for a polar bear cub stuck in there somewhere.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: February 15, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »

The blog chat was interesting -- there was a "Grace" in the chatroom -- anyone we know, Harrie?  I posted a couple comments on Ben, under "Barton" but only one of them appeared, under the moniker, G-4449837938473 or some such, so I'm not sure quite how the process works.  In any case, Theresa is a seasoned and gracious Lost blogger, and I look forward to her formal blog entry, though I rarely have time to read them in their entirety.   

Who is RC or RG, on the bracelets?  Look for a Rudy Giuliani cameo in the future?

Harrie -- I just love the "six plants put on the flight" theory -- absolutely wacky and yet oddly seductive.  Unfortunately, I think Sayid said something that implied they were in the news, so...

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: