Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 09:16:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19022 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1020 on: February 15, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »

I'm not that familiar with chatrooms, I guess.  Went back and looked at the transcript and there I was, with several comments toward the end.  A time delay, not unlike that founds on certain islands...

Also, a "Grace" asked....

"Do you think that dead Naomi is actually being "played" by the live actress, or is it a wax figure? I have my reasons for asking..."

And I would love to know those reasons. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1021 on: February 15, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

That's not me, so sorry I don't know what the reasons are.  You sure that temporary moniker wasn't something like G-4815162342?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1022 on: February 15, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

What's this about "six plants put on an airplane"?  At first when I glimpsed the posts, I thought harrie was referring to some horticultural delivery system. But, then, another thought crossed my mind, if that's what was meant?

If it was, we were asked by our gov't to believe that yes they were.

(I not only saw it on tape with my own eyes but heard it translated for me; which right away screws the reliability,  when you think how the department was always complaining about not having adequate translators. That is when you begin to consider the dialogue was manufactured for easy consumption. The dubbing wipes out the 100% sure-you-heard factor and you shrug, "What's the use?"  This eavesdropping went a long way to convince people our administration has been doing the right thing.  It is not that it didnt or doesnt even now have eavesdropping equipment adequate to the task but dubbing translation over the conversation messes up any possibility that an outside native speaker watching this performance can ever accurately claim to have heard something else being said when you feel you have to drop into the mens private tent at a wedding in a Middle Eastern country when one of the conversants is celebrating a wedding in his family.

Yes, the airplane plants are mentioned and even apparently joked about as naive, simple recruits.  After six years, all it has taught me is to question why anybody takes a plane to travel in this country.

But, carry on! You were probably talking television style horticulture.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:21:56 PM by madupont » Logged
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1023 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »

What's this about "six plants put on an airplane"?  At first when I glimpsed the posts, I thought harrie was referring to some horticultural delivery system. But, then, another thought crossed my mind, if that's what was meant?

If it was, we were asked by our gov't to believe that yes they were.

(I not only saw it on tape with my own eyes but heard it translated for me; which right away screws the reliability,  when you think how the department was always complaining about not having adequate translators. That is when you begin to consider the dialogue was manufactured for easy consumption. The dubbing wipes out the 100% sure-you-heard factor and you shrug, "What's the use?"  This eavesdropping went a long way to convince people our administration has been doing the right thing.  It is not that it didnt or doesnt even now have eavesdropping equipment adequate to the task but dubbing translation over the conversation messes up any possibility that an outside native speaker watching this performance can ever accurately claim to have heard something else being said when you feel you have to drop into the mens private tent at a wedding in a Middle Eastern country when one of the conversants is celebrating a wedding in his family.

Yes, the airplane plants are mentioned and even apparently joked about as naive, simple recruits.  After six years, all it has taught me is to question why anybody takes a plane to travel in this country.

But, carry on! You were probably talking television style horticulture.

LOST

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1024 on: February 15, 2008, 05:42:02 PM »

Ditto
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1025 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »

I tuned in to the Breaking Bad mini-"marathon" to see how authentic it was about Albuquerque, my home for late 70s to mid-80s, could ID pretty much all the very ABQ locations (unsure about the h.s. but they just don't show much of it except the chem class.).  I quite enjoyed the chem lessons, the performance of the lead actor, and some other aspects of the show, but overall it's too much Coen Bros. worship for me.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1026 on: February 16, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »

Kam -- Dupont: Better Living Through Digression

Harrie, that number is so familiar to me that I almost filled it in the blank on my IRS 1040 form for the SSN.  481-51-6234 (2)

I remain intrigued by the notion of using wax replicas for actors whose characters have died.  I'm sure the SAG union is excited by the prospect.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1027 on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »

Barton, yes, it would be so much cheaper. They could make a killing.

I tried to explain that to another member of this venue about the WGAe
(for your information, does television)
and the WGAw
(more info, does movies and some tv)

Writers Guild of America  could be considered as something like SAG
Screen Actors Guild; but, it contains many more writers, with the concept of being unionized.

For instance if I'm approached by a complete unknown, not a Rolling Stone, asking me to do a workshop for poets at some Arts affair for the City that benefits from tourism which is why they hold these large scale fairs sort of like Kam mentioned about tourists on a beautiful coastline or beach as at Newport,Rhode Island, and I dicker for my pay and he has never heard of such a thing, I tell him to go teach (it) himself because he thinks he's an entrpreneur and he hasn't offered me a cut of what I have no way to prove is his share of the take.

Thus when you are unionized as an artist like Screen Actors Guild, a writer in tv or films is not only unionized for support but paid for their work and has their copyright.  I've had this argument in here before that you are published, when you are published and not paying your own way to a vanity press computer generated  sort of a blog spot for someone who says he is a poet. You dig.

In this case the spin was like whether a valid journalist such as Joan Didion who wrote screen plays with her husband Gregory Dunne(brother of the notorious  Dominick who also writes and was a producer "in the business; and uncle of Griffin who has recently been making what? or has released it?) before she was widowed, and also sells hard-back copy of her coverage of events nonfictional and fictional however you see it just as Gregory did the novel of the movie that the two Roberts did, Di Nero and Duval.....

Well would Joan support a writers strike being the better kind of person she is?

I said yes, definitely. My opponent had not thought so.  I mean, Think Again! You are either in or you're out.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1028 on: February 16, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »

The National Writers Union

I've had this argument in here before that you are published, when you are published and not paying your own way to a vanity press computer generated  sort of a blog spot for someone who says he is a poet. You dig.

No, I don’t dig…

I’m a member of the National Writers Union AFL-CIO Local # 1981 and all I can say is there you go again…

Opining about things you don’t know anything about…

And dishing me for being a published poet and calling Gay Sunshine Press a vanity press.

Are you a union member?

Have you ever published anything?

Other than blog chit-chat?

Tell me more about me and my profession.

You seem to know everything?

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1029 on: February 16, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

Thanks for the information.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1030 on: February 16, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

Thanks for the information.

You're welcome, Madupont.

I didn't think you were a unionist...

And I doubt if you've ever published anything either...

Tell the truth now, Maddy...

Did you really ever know Kenneth Rexroth?

Hmmmmm?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1031 on: February 16, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »

I was selling pound cakes in Patagonia, back when my family had split up into missionary units with various intellectual agendas in the southern hemisphere, which reminds me that the lack of precipitation in the Atacama led to a flaking on the face not unlike that which some of our clan experienced during the years we baked hobby bread, down on Pontoon Avenue, you know that part of Boise, I believe, and the ovens would generate a massive electromagnetic pulse of dryness that made us all reminiscent of that nodule they removed from Kathy Bates foot, which of course was so prominently working for dramatic effect in "Misery", all of which dovetailed during our Patagonian sojourn with a happenstance encounter with Rexroth, who actually had given philatelic advice to my uncle in Saskatoon the previous year and was not entirely eager to talk to me about the "missed time" he had experienced in New Mexico, but nevertheless we did speak for a while and he sampled the pound cake samples with a certain misdirected insouciance that implied so much about the influence of the Druids, not to mention Andre Gide and PeeWee Herman, on his post-war oeuvre.

I fall into this style of free association occasionally, especially when Rexroth is thus mentioned, perhaps as a catalyst, or perhaps it is the influence of some other poster here whose style has somehow left some kind of residue in my process of...

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1032 on: February 16, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »

Wonderful, barton, if a tad too grammatical and comprehensible. 
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1033 on: February 16, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »

My dear barton and nytempsperdooo

Speaking of residue...

Here's something rather humorous...

It's something MrUtlely wrote about Mad and Company over here in Television Land.

It's got just the right satirical edge.

I admire MrUtley's writing very much... I hope you do too.

In Soprano-speak, I just wanna say: Ya tink you can fuckin' work any more fuckin' stereotypes and fuckin' narrow-mindedness into that fuckin' post, ya fuckin' fuck? I mean, what the fuck!!

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1034 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »

Pugey-poo, yoo-hoo!

Did I say you could quote me?

Did I give you my permission?

Ask me politely, or your out of commission!

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: