Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 06:28:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14087 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: February 16, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »

HEY! Cabana Boy! Stop poaching my work or I'll send a
large burly guy---er--no, uh- a woman!-- to smack you back to reality!

Quick...send that burly guy over here...

The sooner the better...

If you send a woman, she'll just have to get in line...

Behind Mad, Frumpy and Nytempsperdoo...

They all want to spank my naughty fanny...

But my fanny belongs to Big Daddy...

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,247.msg70678.html#msg70678

Please, pretty please?

I really love the way you write.

How did you know I had a cabana?

And a dock... and a Bayliner?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:58:54 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: February 17, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »

your out of commission?

you're better than that!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: February 17, 2008, 03:15:31 AM »

your out of commission?

you're better than that!

Thank you, Kam.

I liked your message about Madame X.

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,31.msg70429.html#msg70429

Cheers...

Grin Grin Grin

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: February 17, 2008, 03:34:01 AM »

I'm just trying to help out where i can.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »

Kam, I've been meaning to ask you; are you still Roadytoad?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: February 17, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »

National Writers Union AFL-CIO Local # 1981

I do know a little something about that union.  At first, I thought you had written that #1981 was your membership number; but actually they unionized in 1981 with UAW, if you know anything about Walter Reuther.
He died in a mysterious hit, following a previous attempt that took the same form, it was standard CIA style.

I knew who he was because my uncle Frank was CEO of Chevrolet division,at General Motors but I probably wasn't paying much attention to what was going on at the time of Reuther's death.

Then my friend came back from India and came out to the house and catching up informatively, she happened to mention that Reuther's nephew had shown up at Hanuman Temple ,Varanasi. 

There are many people involved from Baba Ram Das, Timothy Leary,on the MIT end, Allen Ginsberg because they are all interconnected as disciples of Neem Karoli Baba.

And then you ask me stupid questions about Kenneth Rexroth.  Why don't you ask carol polk, she has some very strong opinions about the reading at the Six Gallery for Allen, and the Jazz at the Blackhawk readings by Rexroth, like it was all some hippy-dippy phase.

So I'd been meaning to ask you when the heck you showed up in SF that you don't know boo? From dates mentioned previously by you, maybe you did get there after Rexroth gave up the Pine Street apt. and went to Santa Barbara to teach.  Doesn't matter to me.

But I do know that Gay Sunshine went through changes and Llewelyn Press disassociated from them.  It may be because of for instance something you posted at one time, don't know if it was here or at nytimes but it was from Llewelyn with  Ginsberg being mentioned quite a bit in it as you posted it.  However, your version differs from the original, which I think is the crux of the contention between Llewelyn and Gay Sunshine (for all I know it is still sitting in the Poetry Forum, unless you got rid of it one of those late nights) because I really don't think you posted the unexpurgated version of what  Llewelyn  intended.

It's really a matter of where it can be printed and where it can't be.  Some of the unions are putting up  a real effort for freedom of speech on the internet, etc but not all web-masters know that; and since it is their ownership in a sense, even if they are just making use of a service, they get to decide how far they are identified with the unexpurgated material.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: February 17, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »

http://www.leylandpublications.com/

Thank for your interest in Gay Sunshine Press.

I trust you’ll enjoy the above link.

Cheers.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »

I knew who he was because my uncle Frank was CEO of.....

GM execs, Maharaj-ji, drunken poets, where would history be without your numerous friends, relatives, acquainances? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:09:53 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1043 on: February 17, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »

Madupont, you've already swooped in and out-Duponted my parody on the previous page.  I bow before the master, or mistress, if you're into the whole gender-specific thing.

BTW, it's all in fun, just kidding, and no aspersions are intended on your globe-trotting  free-associational thought processes.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: February 17, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »

barton, I merely answered with what is pertinent about the union mentioned as the relevant poster's membership.  The founder of that union was a man with a political outlook much like the scientist being discussed in American history and, is a well known American unionist,  in his own right.  For that, attempts were made on his life but in the Nixon administration they finally got him exactly by the method of the prior attempt. Nixon made such a fine sounding  speech of memoriam, one would be unlikely to suspect foul play against the deceased who had always  done something for the working man.

(if he had not, I doubt very much that my uncle would have risen from the line work begun either in the Depression or previous to it, and ended up in charge of the division. I don't think that I ever saw him after about the mid-1950s. He died seven years after Walter Reuther. When you know whom  it was  that the division  had been named after,and how the
entire company had been founded, it seems obvious that coincidence had also given him a leg up or a special advantage.)

What is interesting to me is that one of the surviving heirs of the assassinated union leader immediately went to India as a convert to a non-self-serving outlook but at the same time was attracted to a friend of mine who was not particularly interested in him. That's life. Her guru was the same man  whom Timothy Leary but particularly Hugh Alpert checked into after their sensory deprivation experiments(the float in a water tank without sensory input). Having come up with LSD, it was Alpert (rather than Leary) who changed his name to Baba Ramdas, or just plain Ramdas upon meeting young Reuther's guru, Neem Karoli Baba who snatched the acid from Alpert's hand,asking "What have you got there?", and immediately downing the entirety from the container, to Alpert's astonishment.

Their were no apparent effects whatsoever. This so blew Alpert's mind, as incontravertable evidence that there was something more at work here than the chemistry, that he dappled with the ashram's discipline for a time but I have no idea whether he continued to retain that anymore than Ginsberg  who was actually dismissed from the ashram by Neem Karoli Baba who made certain recommendations to Ginsberg which he would not "follow" and therefor was out of the sangha.

In other words, this ancient temple in Benares, which has recently in the last few years been bombed by Muslims, as it offers sanctuary to Hindu travelers passing through, has nothing whatever to do with Maharaji Mahesh Yoga or Transcendental Meditation.

Nor do I globe-trot.  I like traveling but it is a major inconvenience isn't it?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: February 17, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »

Kam, I've been meaning to ask you; are you still Roadytoad?

No.  I'm not anyone else.  Kam is my actual name.

-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: February 17, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »

Good.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: February 18, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »

Is anyone aware that Feb.25th.,next Monday, in the performance by Sean Combs (shown here  in a different role as fashion mogul with Ty Beckford, http://www.blackvoices.com/news/pictures-of-the-week )
for a remake of his Broadway performance, Raisin in the Sun.

Hint, there is a commercial advertisement for the tv production on abc
to the right of the photo, if you can take your eyes off Beckford. He's kind of stunning coming down the runway at you in fashion designed by Sean John. On the street, you might step aside in astonishment, right off the curb.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1048 on: February 18, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »

NO....not Savino!!!

Just kidding hehe... no love lost for hired muscle.  There's some question in blog-land as to whether or not killing Savino was going against Omar's own code.  I say no. "You know what?" BLAM!!! Brains on the wall.  Omar doesn't seem to care much about the promise he made Bunk last year about killing people.  Poor Bunk... can't even get his LabWork back because of McNulty's fake serial killer.

Richard Belzer's John Munch character from Homicide(s) and Law&Order(s) fame makes an appearance in the cop bar.  He has a funny line he says to the bartender but thats it.  Seemed like a cameo's cameo. 

I like how there are soooo many characters in The Wire (what other show has a cast this big?) that you can kill off guys like Butchie, Prop Joe, Hungry Man, Savino etc... and the universe just continues.  Its very true to life.  Big fish or small.  Everyone dies eventually.  Many with little fanfare.  Many die in the streets or because of them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:36:50 PM by Kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »

"They think they done with ol' Clay Davis...want to put ol' Clay on a shelf...sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit..."

Love that guy.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: