Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 07:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27727 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: February 24, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »

Which sort of reminds me....is it safe to assume, then, that the seabird to whose leg Claire strapped that lovely, poetic but pretty useless message a season or two back never reached civilization?  Didn't she say there were 40-ish of them, etc. --everything but where to find them, IIRC. 

Maybe the gull can't get out of the zone, like Desmond couldn't in the sailboat. Unless the last shot of the last episode is someone finding a dead gull on the beach. They notice something flapping a little and come closer; then they carefully unwrap the paper from the bird's leg and start to read.....

Scratch that thought -- found the text of Claire's note, and it doesn't mention any numbers. It says: 

To whom it may concern:
We are survivors of Oceanic flight 815. We have survived on this island for eighty days. We were six hours into the flight when the pilot said we were off course and turned back towards Fiji. We hit turbulence and crashed. We have been waiting here all this time, waiting for rescue that has not come. We do not know where we are, we only know that you have not found us. We have done our best to live on this island. Some of us have come to accept that we may never leave it. Not all of us have survived since the crash, but there is new life, too, and with it there is hope. We are alive. Please don't give up on us.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:54:07 AM by harrie » Logged
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: February 25, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »

R.I.P. Omar Little.  Dang that little bastid Kenard. 

This scene was actually set up in Season 3.  Remember when one of the girls in Omar's crew, Toscha, got shot in the head after a robbery of a Barksdale stashhouse?  Bunk later investigates the scene and is disgusted to see some kids re-enacting the event.  One of those kids turns to his friend in the skully and says, "It's my turn to be Omar"  Well that kid who wanted to be Omar, was actually Kenard in his first ever appearance on the show.

here's the youtube.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: February 25, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »

There are many real life Baltimoreans who play small to large roles on the Wire.

The Deacon ~ former Drug kingpin.
Big Donnie Anderson ~ former stick-up boy, inspiration for Omar's character.
Detective Norris ~ former BPD Commisioner Norris.
Detective Mello ~ the real life Jay Landsman
Bill Zorzi ~ playing himself, Baltimore Sun reporter Bill Zorzi
Snoop ~ played by the real life 'Snoop' Felicia Pearson who spent time in prison on manslaughter charges.  (She claims self defense)

And many other characters on the show are inspired by people in real life.  Baltimore's current Mayor is one Sheila Dixon.  Dixon was the former City Councilwoman (Nereese Campbell's character) who took over the Mayor's seat when former Mayor O'Malley (Tommy Carcetti's character) ran and won the race for Governor of Maryland.  Art truly imitates life on this show.  Versimilitude galore.

Here's a snippet of current Mayor's Sheila Dixon's "Spotlight on Baltimore"

Bethesda, Md.: You were reportedly the basis for the character Naresse Campbell on HBO's "The Wire." Campbell plays a shrewd, calculating politician intent on winning the mayoral seat. Have you seen the show and, if so, what are your thoughts on the character you inspired?

Mayor Sheila Dixon: First of all, I do watch and enjoy The Wire. The fictional City Council President and I have very little in common. One: I'm very focused on results. I'm much less concerned with political ramifications. Two: I don't curse in meetings and while discussing issues.

However, we do have a similar fashion sense. And we are alike in being no-nonsense elected officials.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: February 25, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »

I'm sure I wouldn't have recalled that foreshadow, thanks kam.  I did "flash" onto what was about to happen to Omar, though, maybe something about the way he headed down the street, rather heedlessly clearing the youngsters out of his way.  More so than a "final showdown" with Marlo, this way was in keeping with the whole multigenerational story line, from the OGs to the NewGs to the BabyGs.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme, but I'm sure there will be things we'll never know (sure hope it's not just stuff I missed).  Here's one: who was the leak that allowed Prop Joe to obtain secret grand jury TXes?  
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: February 25, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »

who was the leak that allowed Prop Joe to obtain secret grand jury TXes?  

I stayed up late last night to watch the next episode onDemand.  Its the second to last episode.  HBO won't be airing the final episode a week early onDemand so I have two weeks to wait for the special 93 minute series finale.  In that penultimate episode, it is strongly hinted who the leak is.  You will find out.  But i won't spoil it for you. 

By the way, there's still a chance they make a movie.  Wendell Pierce who plays BUNK, and the actress who plays Kima Greggs are supposedly pushing David Simon to do a script for a movie.  He is intrigued with the idea but insists that it would have to be a prequel.  Also insists they won't do it unless the script is worthy. 

-Dave Attell
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: February 25, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

I miss Arrested Development

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: February 25, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »

I used to watch AD.... it was one of the last network sitcoms I followed.  Sitcoms these days just don't do it for me.

-Dave Attell
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: February 25, 2008, 05:16:29 PM »

Same here.."The Office" and "30 Rock" are the only major network sitcoms I can stomach anymore. 

Why Fox cancelled AD is beyond me...I wonder which failed show replaced it

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: February 26, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »

Just for the heck of it, ABC did a tv production of the previous Broadway appearance of P. Diddy in Lorraine Hansberry's, Raisin in the Sun. Now, that the thing is nigh unto Fifty years old,nothing shows you better than this late 1950s prize winning drama  or more dramatically what happened that brought it all down to The Wire.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: February 26, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »

an amazing moment of life imitating television:

The Philadelphia Inquirer is running a multipart series about Philadelphia's homeless, inspired by the gruesome death of a homeless man. This is delicious because the Inquirer's editor is none other than Bill Marimow, former Sun managing editor, nemesis of David Simon, and Simon's supposed model for managing editor Thomas Klebanow on The Wire. Klebanow, of course, is supervising the Sun's special homeless investigation, inspired by the gruesome deaths of homeless men.

Marimow was also the name given to the Detective who Rawls puts in charge of Major Crimes and who drives away Lester, Kima, Sydnor et al with his insistance on making street rips instead of building a case against Marlo Stanfield.

-Dave Attell
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: February 26, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

I wonder why they made Carcetti Italian when the actor himself is Irish and allegedly patterned on an Irish politician?  I guess they wrote it before they cast it but everyone else seems cast pretty close, maybe they wanted a little distance, but Carcetti is a fairly admirable if hard-nosed, not seeming corrupt at least other than in the manipulations of the machination of government that is his duty.  Everyone on the show is so good and we're used to losing guys but Omar was a good actor and character.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: February 26, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/us/09baltimore.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Thats a must-read article.  Donnie Andrews, the main inspiration for the Omar character.

The actor who plays Omar, Michael K Williams, answers an interviewer's question below.

Toward the end, did Omar’s exploits ever get too unbelievable?
I’m talking about when he jumped from that building and landed with only a broken leg.

That actually really happened. Omar’s character is based on a brother named Donnie Andrews. [On The Wire, the real-life Andrews played] the gentleman that got shot and killed in that apartment with Omar. I said, “Donnie, man, what happened that night? What was going through your mind to jump through the window?” He said, “Michael, I wasn’t thinking. There was no time to think. I was just trying to escape some hot ones.” Your partner just got murdered. You got people gunning at you. And there’s an open window? What are you going to do?

-Dave Attell
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »

I'm working on a case now involving a 50-something woman so terrified when her boyfriend held a knife to her forehead then her throat, asking her whether he should cut her eyes out first or cut her throat, that when he went to the phone she jumped out a 2nd story window onto a paved driveway, crushed both heels, 2 weeks in hospital, 5 months in wheelchair, will wear special shoes always.  How did the incident start?  She woke him up asking him to go out and get his scary pitbull that had got out of the yard, so her mother & sister (also terrified of pitbull) could come visit.  Apparently he wasn't at his best in the mornings.

I'm musing on who may have given up the secret grand jury docs., judging (get it?) by who had easiest access...and who doesn't seem averse to cutting legal corners...and who didn't want to pay for his lunch with Pearlman & McNulty...

Seen any interviews with Felicia Pearson?  Her character seems scarily genuine, sure wish I could understand more of what she says.  The first episode of the show I ever saw was the one that opened with the purchase of the nail gun; still a stunner.   
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

interview with Felicia Pearson

A Black lesbian female who was born premature to two drug-addicted and incarcerated parents and ended up in a foster home where she was raised by the hardcore streets of Baltimore, Felicia earned her G.E.D. while serving 8 years in prison for second-degree murder.  Yes, she’s not your typical Hollywood story.

Snoop and Chris are two of the scariest characters to ever grace the TV screen.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:44:35 PM by Kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
obertray

« Reply #1094 on: February 27, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »

I miss Arrested Development

Take it from me, where ever you are, Arrested Development is there with you!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: