Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 06:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14172 times)
obertray

« Reply #1095 on: February 28, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »

The other morning I said to the isusmay, "I sure hate these Dr. Jarvic ads for Lipitor"

I mean really, come on! The guy weighs 125 lbs, eats to make Euell Gibbons look like a junk food junkie, and exercizes his ass off. If he still needs a cholesterol drug, what chance do the rest of us have?

But then it turns out that it wasn't Jarvik rowing that shell across that lake anyhow! Oh, BTW, he's not a licensed medical doctor! And he didn't invent that artificial heat in the first place.

Apparently he's going to be ok though, he has signed up to sell Izuzu cars. (whatever became of them?)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: February 29, 2008, 07:50:54 AM »

I trust all you Losties out there noticed during last night's episode the item that was up for bid at the auction: A painting of the ship The Black Rock. Then there was the delicious lot number assigned to that auction item: #2342. Not to mention the mention of the name "Hanso" by the auctioneer.

Still trying to wrap my brain around all the time-bending stuff. I'll think more about it...umm...later.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »

Yeah, I didn't understand, oh, just about everything time-travel related -- but thought it was a kickass episode nonetheless.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »

One of those episodes where you have to simply say, okay my mind is utterly blown...and then, if you've had the flu all week and are slightly delirious with fever, go and write a song called "The Ballad of Eloise Rat" at 4 a.m

Here (cough) it is:

Come and listen to my tale 'bout a rat named Eloise
Worked for Dan Faraday, always had the finest cheese
Then one day she was running through a maze
Fell through a timewarp, 11 Hz. in-phase...

Spacetime anomaly, that is, black hole gold, unapproved-by-Oxford....

Next thing you know, Eloise finds future cheese,
Camembert and Gouda and very stinky Bries
Now all that fine dinin' is making her quite fat
Pretty soon she don't know which time she's at....

Dis-Orientation, that is, George Minkowski-style....

Meanwhile Desmond Hume is coming loose in time too,
Doesn't know Sayid, acts like he's sniffin' glue
Has to get to Oxford and let Past-Dan lend a hand,
Before he dies from time snappin' like a rubber band....

Fried brain, that is, nosebleeds, ears steamin'...

Poor Eloise gets all snarled up in temporal knots,
Turns out she was needin' a Penny for her thoughts
Without no "constant" fixed into her little brain,
She dies like Minkowski, but it wasn't all in vain....

Data, that is, in-for-mation, science stuff...

Now it's time to say goodbye to 1996,
Penny's pissed at Desmond for five more years, or six,
But after that it's cool and he makes his Christmas call--
there follows an emotional scene could make a feller bawl!

Y'all come back now, on a bearing of 315, y'hear?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: February 29, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »

Bravo Barton.

And yes, that was the best Episode of the Season (making up for that Kate stinkeroo snoozefest last week) and in my opinion their best episode ever.  Funny that I say that and yet there was no Kate, Ben, Sawyer, Jin, Hurley, Locke... barely any Jack... the annoying Losties.

Sayid and Desmond are the best characters and the love angle between Penny and Desmond puts Kate's crushes to utter shame.  Desmond's backstory IS Lost.  I could give two shits about Kate.  If they never show another Kate story again thats fine by me.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: February 29, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »

Pretty much nodding my head like one of those dashboard puppies that, um, nod quite a bit.  Yeah, this show captured the wild sci-fi down-the-rabbit-hole Philip K. Dick-on-steroids quality that is the true heart of "Lost." 

And I think some kudos go to Jeremy Davies, in particular the scene where Desmond shows up at his Oxford lab...Faraday puts on this rather skimpy-looking apron/vest thing to fend off radiation and Desmond says, "What about your head?"  And there's this great moment of hesitation, this absent-minded professor moment where he might be considering, hmmm, yeah what about my head?   I think Davies is revealing some comic potential that I wasn't initially expecting.  LOL funny scene.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: February 29, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »

J.D. manages to do that, even without written dialogue. It may be his delivery,or maybe he makes up his own lines as he goes along through life.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: February 29, 2008, 05:34:23 PM »

"What about your head?"  And there's this great moment of hesitation, this absent-minded professor moment where he might be considering, hmmm, yeah what about my head?

The first time we saw him this season, he was crying over the news of the discovery of Oceanic 815.  He looked like he had a bandage on his head and a nurse attending him.  It could be that his exposure to radiation and time-travel caused him to have the same malady that Desmond and Minkowski experienced but "everyone experiences it in different ways" he said.  Remember CS Lewis doing the card game with him last episode as if testing his memory?

The scene at the end where Daniel Farraday is on the island leafing through his notebook... it says "If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant" ... and he looks up and smiles... maybe that CURED him?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: February 29, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »

Anyone who was considering watching Sarah Silverman on tv est 10 ish?

forwarned heavy duty Sundance already have shown, Chasing the Rhino (I have to look up some reruns for this film that will explain to weezo what we have talked about in Kurlansky's 1968) about Soviet bloc anti-semitism in this period starting with the Fifties  and reimposing the same conditions from which they had liberated Jews from Nazis.

As one of the lines goes: "It is sometimes hard for people in the West to wrap their minds around the Soviet mentality".

This and the following film, showing now,The Death of Mr.Lazarescu, take place in Roumania, from which, to make a long story short, my sister's son in law's parents come. He has no aunts and uncles because no other family members survived one persecution following the other. My sister and nieces when not getting together for holidays, in California, often spend these holidays with the parents of the son-in-law who live in the same great big town as Donotremove.

I've known only one other person from the area(Roumania) who is a Transylvanian met in Northern Wisconsin near where my godmother worked in the Paper Mills as a nurse.  Cyril was an expert with wood, when building a home, he also built a wood burning furnace, and cleared forest thinnings during the summer months to burn in the winter. As younger women, my friends and I tossed logs in relay to each other to keep fires stoked which needed refill at least three times a day, while the huskies stood on the snow drifts observing us calmly while the wind ruffled their fur and mane. We wore padded clothes night and day. Other people in the area were Hungarian dairy farmers(guys) who made us treats like cream cheese in dates. The Transylvanian did me the honor of offering to let me borrow his snow-shoes. At first they had me convinced that they had a shortage of women in the wilderness because of the climate. But they were out there, in the bars tossing back shots of Hot Pepper Sauce in their glasses of beer and line-dancing their as..s off.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: March 01, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »

Another pack o' praises for this week's Lost, upon which wave we rode, turning to each other saying "Whew!" at commercial times. 

And a big WOOT to you, barton -- sure hope that's getting wider exposure than just this neighborhood (however nice it be).

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: March 01, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »

And thanks much to kam for the scoop on Snoop.  Interesting that 2 of the few main female characters are both black and lesbian, either in the show or in fact.

I'm having fun spotting actors from The Wire when they turn up elsewhere like  Lance Reddick ("Daniels") turning up on Lost.  Someone in here (kam?) pointed out that David Costabile ("Klebanow") was previously in Flight of the Conchords. I saw someone else recently but didn't note/keep track...don't want to get sucked into "6 Degrees of The Wire."         
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: March 02, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »

Look for Lawyer Levy in an Arbys spot where construction workers are whistling at him as he walks by.

Also, Isiah Whitlock (Clay Davis) is doing commercials for Southwest airlines.

-Dave Attell
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: March 02, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

If anyone is curious about all these books that Sawyer et al. are reading, this has a comprehensive list of all books being read, to date:

http://lostbooks.blogspot.com/

Certainly a clever way to sell books.  "The Invention of Morel" looks sort of interesting, but then again, we've seen Sawyer absolutely engrossed by Judy Blume, so who knows really?

Nytemps, thanks for the WOOT, though I'm not sure of your Net acronym, there.  I once came up with SCOCKAM (Spewing Coffee on Computer Keyboard And Monitor), but it doesn't seem to have caught on.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: March 02, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »

BARTON, i also stumbled up a Huffington Post hill of beans in odd hours of the night (following down our flaps at Campaign Forum), in which it was revealed that In Treatment, despite Gabriel Byrne, was "a crashing bore". I wondered if it was just me turning off the intensity of his patients bringing too much tension into my life by their half-hours analytic sessions.   

I never did find the Bill Maher program from Friday Night that I was looking up because it was over the top excellent.  Anybody know how many days it takes for HBO's New Rules to post their latest episode?
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: March 04, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »

Hi barton: I used WOOT (wasn't strict, should have been W007), not an acronym but 'net/gamer lingo that made it into dictionary of late (see http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/12/12/tech-woot.html )
and is often used by my kid to signify that which in other times/places was rendered HOORAY, or OLE, or BRAVO (you get the idea). 

And another W007! to kam for Wired actors elsewhere--did see "Levy" in ad but not the other one...yet.  Am a bit itchy for the final ep and yet am not entirely ready 'cause I want to try to work out my own version of how some elements play out.  Does that make sense?  (One of "those" questions, like "Do these pants make my butt look fat?")

Am also still watching Breaking Bad (or main parts of same), learning not just chem. (ah yes, ye olde  fulminate of mercury!) but much about health care system, cancer & its treatment and other subjects I was hitherto unaware of. . .doesn't exactly sound like entertainment, but you just never know when something pertinent may show up. . .
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: