Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 12:36:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 15501 times)
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: March 07, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »

Another pack o' praises for this week's Lost, upon which wave we rode, turning to each other saying "Whew!" at commercial times. 

And a big WOOT to you, barton -- sure hope that's getting wider exposure than just this neighborhood (however nice it be).

I don't watch much TV, but "Lost" got me hooked from the start. Weirder and weirder and weirder, to the point where I almost gave up hope that they'd even try to tie up all the loose ends. Now, it's all coming together...

Was out of country for last week's episode and had to watch the "enhanced" version last night - almost too much dividing one's attention between the action and the subtext. All-in-all I still think it's head & shoulders over whatever is next best on TV.

What was the Philip K Dick novel that Ben was reading while he was captive? Just barely noticed it...

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »

BARTON, i also stumbled up a Huffington Post hill of beans in odd hours of the night (following down our flaps at Campaign Forum), in which it was revealed that In Treatment, despite Gabriel Byrne, was "a crashing bore". I wondered if it was just me turning off the intensity of his patients bringing too much tension into my life by their half-hours analytic sessions.   

I never did find the Bill Maher program from Friday Night that I was looking up because it was over the top excellent.  Anybody know how many days it takes for HBO's New Rules to post their latest episode?

It is now on HBO whenever you want to hear the take on Hillary from an all male panel; she deserved it. And can see for yourself what the average Obama support rally reveals.  Of course the hot shots posting theoretically Democrat up in the or down in the Campaign Forum don't want to see that the support is white like the Republican hate mongers among us.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: March 07, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

Another pack o' praises for this week's Lost, upon which wave we rode, turning to each other saying "Whew!" at commercial times. 

And a big WOOT to you, barton -- sure hope that's getting wider exposure than just this neighborhood (however nice it be).

I don't watch much TV, but "Lost" got me hooked from the start. Weirder and weirder and weirder, to the point where I almost gave up hope that they'd even try to tie up all the loose ends. Now, it's all coming together...

Was out of country for last week's episode and had to watch the "enhanced" version last night - almost too much dividing one's attention between the action and the subtext. All-in-all I still think it's head & shoulders over whatever is next best on TV.

What was the Philip K Dick novel that Ben was reading while he was captive? Just barely noticed it...

Valis.  Don't know if it has any hint about the plot, but VALIS is Dick's acronym for Vast Active Living Intelligence System, and the book is about gnosticism and the various perceptions of God. 

We just started watching.  Finishing Season 1 tonight.  The whole Locke/Rousseau aspect is interesting, and I know from comments I've heard that later seasons introduce Hume and Burke.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: March 07, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »

Thanks LHoffman,

I envy you just getting into it...

Valis, eh? Well that sheds another typically sideways half-light on the subject.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »

That episode last night was part excellent, part trash.

The scenes with CS Lewis: Trash.

"We just got done saving you life"  nanna nana boo boo

The scenes with Ben: Pure Gold.

Ben is insane.

Goodwin is retarded.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: March 07, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »

Last week's episode was really great (IMO anyway), so last night was bound to be some kind of a letdown, but I enjoyed most of it anyway. 

For one thing, I'm not sure CS Lewis is really an anthropologist; or if she is, she must have minored in martial arts and combat training.  I kind of wonder whether she's along on this excursion as more of an (unlikely) enforcer than student of cultures, fossils, etc.  And their disarming the gas defense system wasn't completely altruistic (as in "We just got done saving your life"), because now their boss (and his minions) can land on the island (possibly with development or harvest-y motives?) basically unmolested. Unless Smoky is still on patrol, and as long as Widmore stays away from that invisible fence.

And on a sidebar, are Kate and Juliet both really stupid? They haven't been written stupid before.  But last night, Kate looks at the charged phone so knows Lewis and Clark Farraday are lying -- yet doesn't go on guard, or play along with their scenario while scoping the situation out, and lets Lewis get behind her for a good pop on the noggin.  Then Juliet, knowing they've already hurt Kate, turns her back on Lewis in the Tempest(?) and guess what -- gets cracked on the head herself.   I thought both of those plot moves were kind of out of line with how Kate and Juliet had been written previously.  Though I guess a number of Kate's bank robberies did go awry, so perhaps it's kind of a wonder she was never caught.

Michael Emerson is freakin' great. I didn't appreciate him at first, but he's made Ben so multi-dimensionally nuts it's a marvel to watch.  Last night, he nailed the part of a 13-year-old dweeb who just can't understand why the head cheerleader isn't interested in him without turning those scenes into parody.  "You're miiiinnne!" -- an amazing balance of anguish and scary-level obsession.  It's like this island is Ben's big ol' sandbox and he can't deal with it when the little toy soldiers have a mind of their own.

I took the book scene in a different, probably wrong, way.  Usually they make a point of our seeing the book title, but last night they made a point of showing the book's author but not the title (that I could get, anyway).  I haven't read any Phillip K. Dick (That's right, I haven't read Dick!), but have heard that he writes kinda warpy stuff.  So -- I took the shot to be a compare/contrast of sorts between Sawyer, who reads anything including Judy Blume, and Ben, who reads Phillip K. Dick.  Just my take, and I'm probably reading too much into nothing.

Is there a reason we keep seeing John Locke with blood on his hands?  Granted, it's all food prep (except for those people he has killed, but none of those were with his hands, were they?)  Are they foreshadowing or just having fun?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »

I think we're getting repeat exposure to VALIS because it's a reminder of madness -- the central character in VALIS is insane, and Ben is becoming the locus of insanity on the island.  Also, IIRC, the guy in VALIS also has a father who is alcoholic and dies when he is a child.   I join with Harrie in applauding Emerson's "multi-dimensionally nuts" Ben. 

I thought the subplot with the gas system was muddled and confusing, in almost every way.  If the gas is poison, it seems like a poor defense system, the type that would boomerang on its user.  If you already have smoke-beasts and force fields, what do you need nerve gas for?  Maybe someone can make sense of all this, but it felt clunky and improbable to me.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »

a couple other random thoughts --

The comment about Juliet, "she looks just like her" -- is this referring to the little girl that Ben loved -- Annie?  Remember Annie, in the  island flashback with young Ben?

How the heck does Harper (the therapist) materialize in the rain to Juliet, and pass on orders from Ben?  Another one of those "whispering ghosts" scenes and I think they usually happen when it's raining.  This seems like another piece of one of the island's core mysteries, the more supernatural one.

And, of course, who is the boat mole?  Now that we know, or think we know, that Charles Widmore is the bad guy behind Team Freighter, and that Ben has revealed his mole to Locke (okay, funny mental picture, let's move on...), then it's hard not to think about Michael making that reappearance that is gradually emerging as this season's secret-stored-in-plain-sight.  It makes some sense....Michael loses his bearing, gets snatched up by the freighter, realizes that Widmore is up to no good, and decides to pass info back to Ben.  Or not.  Really my brain just hurts.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: March 08, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »

The hubby was pondering (and I think I read it somewhere too, so he's not exactly the only one) whether the whispers are people maybe whooshing by as they time-travel. Like, if the whispers always seem to occur in the one area, if there's like a portal of sorts nearby.  Also figured that Harper, the world's worst therapist, might have appeared via time travel, making little time-hops as Eloise did.

I don't remember a thing about Annie.   

As for the boat mole, we figured since Michael is being so telegraphed, it's not Michael.  Hubby stuck with the time travel theme and half-wondered if Ben is Ben's man on the boat. He gets a little carried away, but sometimes it works. The hubby, that is.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: March 08, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »

I don't think Ben is Ben's boat mole, but I love a series that can send you off in wild speculations like that.  Also, the only time travel we've really witnessed is the kind where you can only travel someplace where your body has already been, or will be....so it's a kind of mental time travel.  You couldn't have "Eloise in Paris" because Eloise has never been to Paris.   Still, the idea of people "whooshing by" some island portal, as they time travel, is intriguing.  And, to fuel the whole time travel speculation, there is VALIS, and IIRC the main character in VALIS ends up time traveling back to Judea during the Roman occupation and being in a Roman prison there. 

Annie -- I think that is the name of the young girl with whom Ben is infatuated in the Young Ben flashback episode?

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: March 08, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »

Struck me when Locke asked Ben what the "smoke monster" was, that Ben really didn't know. So I doubt it's part of the Island defense system, at least not part of what Ben has control over.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »

Yeah, I didn't mean that Ben necessarily controls the smoke thingy, just benefits from its potential actions, even though I wrote that kind of blurrily.  As for the wild speculations, sometimes I swear the hubby is just funnin' with me, saying stuff like "Now who reads lots of science fiction, hmmm?" with a totally straight face when I doubt some of his theories. Which is fine, it keeps things interesting.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: March 08, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »

Harrie - you a horse owner?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: March 08, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »

Harrie - you a horse owner?

No, I work at a rescue one day a week.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: March 08, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »

Kudos to you for that! Bet you've noticed how the slaughter ban has overwhelmed so many rescues... and sent to many horses to Mexico to face an even more brutal fate.

Don't want to be accused of thread-hijacking though... maybe discuss somewhere else.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91
  Print  

Jump to: