Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 10:10:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27703 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: March 08, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »

Bet you've noticed how the slaughter ban has overwhelmed so many rescues...

Can't say that I have. I'll continue in Pets.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: March 09, 2008, 01:16:12 AM »

I have a cat.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: March 09, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »

In Puerto Rico, the news of the day, "animals" are thrown from a bridge fifty-feet into the ravine and left to die. Somebody's gov't is pursuing this; our's merely experiments on the Puerto Ricans to try out drugs for our pharmaceutical industry because Puerto Rico 1/2 wants to be a State while the other 1/2 doesn't which means our gov't calls them terrorists.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: March 09, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

Just found a cool bit of info from the Tubular blog re last week's episode of Lost and had to share it: During the scene when Jack and Juliet are standing in a corridor at the power station, the lights in the corridor are blinking on and off and they spell out the word "S-I-N" in Morse code.

For criminey's sake! This show is jam packed with info. I gotta be watching for things sending me Morse code messages in the background now? On top of all the other levels on which this show imparts information?

Trees. Everywhere. Can't. See. Forest.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

No kidding. Not only trees everywhere, but apple trees with oranges on them, elms with pinecones, oranges with acorns ... aaaaaagh!

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2008, 01:32:05 AM »

I don't think Ben is Ben's boat mole, but I love a series that can send you off in wild speculations like that.  Also, the only time travel we've really witnessed is the kind where you can only travel someplace where your body has already been, or will be....so it's a kind of mental time travel.  You couldn't have "Eloise in Paris" because Eloise has never been to Paris.   Still, the idea of people "whooshing by" some island portal, as they time travel, is intriguing.  And, to fuel the whole time travel speculation, there is VALIS, and IIRC the main character in VALIS ends up time traveling back to Judea during the Roman occupation and being in a Roman prison there. 

Annie -- I think that is the name of the young girl with whom Ben is infatuated in the Young Ben flashback episode?

"there is VALIS, and IIRC the main character in VALIS ends up time traveling back to Judea during the Roman occupation and being in a Roman prison there."  That's because we are traveling toward it; if we are traveling backwards through history. This was both the Millenium Concept that we went through when the Bush Administration began, and a key component of PKD's intake of intelligence when he decided to release this information (or publish this information before he died).

It was just at that point that I met somebody really interesting, after moving from Princeton to the the rural countryside. When I looked for a new dentist, I found one who had studied at Berkeley, most probably after Dick has dropped out and gone on to other things since my new acquaintance was Japanese and could not likely have been in the area coincidentally with Philip K.Dick whom he greatly admired(in other words " a huge fan" ). I learned this gradually in the dental chair; but what he had  studied at Berkeley? He had taken his doctorate in Philosophy.  Outside of emergencies, or plans to set up another appointment for some work he had noticed ought to be done, ordinarily that came to about 24  very therapeautic meetings in 8 years?

Other than that , you and I talked  about VALIS by another of its names, the noosphere described by Teilhard de Chardin, over in the  Science and Religion forum between about Thanksgiving season until early in  December.  PKD's concept with VALIS  differs only in his admission that it is  more than concept  if you receive direct information by inspiration, a little something that I was exposed to in highschool when my religion teacher, asked me to study the proofs of the Holy Spirit. So I guess that I can go along with PKD's experience or when meeting " a huge fan " of his; and, when necessary  operate on those principles, by being open to it.

Which I did, in the fiction forum until about Aug.12 or 13th, when I caught on that going after that higher knowledge was not being a mutual cooperative endeavor.  There was some kind of hidden competitive edge that had not been immediately obvious in comparing notes.  Now, seven months later after hearing the same repeated fixations brought up on various occasions, I thought I might check it out: what caused the repetitions of the same accusations?  So I went back and reviewed the whole context and then noticed an amazing thing on the record; the numeration of posts were out of synch, not in complete sequence but  had big shifts in number. Perhaps a hundred or so posts had been totally removed. One of the participants had gone missing. Since that had been topically taken up in a casual forum at another point, I suddenly realized how serious it was that the entire output had been removed when this person decided to  quit.  They took it with them or why does a person disappear? It is really weird to occasionally hear the person referred to but then you realize you are not reading the entire discussion because that person is obviously not there.

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: March 10, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »

"For criminey's sake! This show is jam packed with info. I gotta be watching for things sending me Morse code messages in the background now? On top of all the other levels on which this show imparts information?"

Earl, LOL, there is enough information in the Lost blogosphere to make your eyeballs eject from your head.  I'm simply going to forget you told me about lights strobing in Morse Code. 

And some of the stuff is so ultra redundant in terms of foreshadowing something, e.g. 487 alerts that it might be Michael on the boat, that I just figure either Michael will pop up or it's all another sloppy pail of red herrings. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: March 10, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »

Which I did, in the fiction forum until about Aug.12 or 13th, when I caught on that going after that higher knowledge was not being a mutual cooperative endeavor.  There was some kind of hidden competitive edge that had not been immediately obvious in comparing notes.  Now, seven months later after hearing the same repeated fixations brought up on various occasions, I thought I might check it out: what caused the repetitions of the same accusations?  So I went back and reviewed the whole context and then noticed an amazing thing on the record; the numeration of posts were out of synch, not in complete sequence but  had big shifts in number. Perhaps a hundred or so posts had been totally removed. One of the participants had gone missing. Since that had been topically taken up in a casual forum at another point, I suddenly realized how serious it was that the entire output had been removed when this person decided to  quit.  They took it with them or why does a person disappear? It is really weird to occasionally hear the person referred to but then you realize you are not reading the entire discussion because that person is obviously not there.

Do you not understand that there is something quite odd about letting this bother you for seven months?  Anyone who cares can look up the referenced conversation and see that you were mistaken, and as usual, you did not care to acknowledge your mistake. 

My dear, might I respectfully suggest that the next time you drop in for a visit with your dentist or other health care provider, that you ask for the name of a good psychiatrist.  Could be poor nutrition, could be hormonal, could be youar age, but whatever, it is quite clear that you are unbalanced.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:42:50 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: March 10, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »

VALIS differs from the noosphere (de Chardin et al.) in that it's a living computer which is a satellite in orbit and beams various kinds of understandings into human brains by laser beams, which understandings are supposed to liberate us from the bondage of ignorance, symbolized by Dick's "Black Iron Prison."  Dick, in his Valis books, make this metaphor literal and imagines that we are literally in some kind of prison, built in Roman times, which distorts our awareness of the real nature of time and space and poisons our rationality.  In the novel VALIS, a two year old girl named Sophia is discovered to be a speaker for the computer, Valis, and emerges as a Christ-like figure who heals the narrator (Dick, himself) -- the narrator has experienced a split personality, splitting into himself and a weird spiritual seeker named "Horselover Fat."   Alert readers will notice that "Horselover" is the literal meaning of Philip and "Fat" is the English meaning of the German word, "dick."

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »

Barton,

I looked at the material to compare the points in common. I think you will find Dick describes VALIS taking us backward; with many people then taking it quite literally some eighteen years after his death. THe Black Iron Prison however has more explicitly related to his own "experience" of being a reborn from the Roman capture of Asyria who was garrotted as "a Christian".  In any case, I thought you might be interested in learning of a contemporary of Philip K. Dick. In the last few years, he expressed interest in speaking in response to an invitation from the local Friends(Quakers) about the similarity to their own practice and that of Buddhism.  Many of the James Fox schools Quaker schools are in this area.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: March 11, 2008, 12:20:23 AM »

Lhoffman,re:#1135

"Do you not understand that there is something quite odd about letting this bother you for seven months?  Anyone who cares can look up the referenced conversation and see that you were mistaken, and as usual, you did not care to acknowledge your mistake. 

My dear, might I respectfully suggest that the next time you drop in for a visit with your dentist or other
health care provider, that you ask for the name of a good psychiatrist.  Could be poor nutrition, could be hormonal, could be youar age, but whatever, it is quite clear that you are unbalanced."

On the contrary I hadn't(been bothered), and I think some others ought to be aware, in actuality you posted with no basis in fact  a few  nights  ago in the Campaign forum in the same way which sounded exaggeratedly familiar by now, as it has happened three or four times at this point, so I was curious about the source of this discontent you display so lavishly.

Topically coincidental, I was adjusting something on my desk and found the notes that I had made in that earlier discussion, most of it was comparison of verses on the material which you had been interested in looking into why Mrs.Price named her children as she did and what was the parallel, anybody can look at it for themselves if they care to do so. She is the protagonist in  Barbara Kingsolver's book,The Poisonwood Bible.  While you were working from a Christian Bible Text, I do not know which denomination, I provided the translated into English versions from Hebrew with all the text notes over the centuries for the British Rabbinical Torah and haggadah since the names that  you were looking for were "Old Testament". I think it was quite obvious that a number of times other posters clearly felt at a loss as to the actual references to those names, what their significance was in Hebrew Kabbalism. That is in sum, what I did, supplied the terminology and explained the custom.

You yourself might but will not look into why you repeat the same idea:
"Anyone can look up and see that you were mistaken...and do not care to
acknowledge your mistake" unquote of your words.

As I recall you have access to an Oxford English Dictionary, so look at it there rather than the translated Hebrew text, for the name of Adah Price, on the basis of what you acknowledged: that the consonants would change over time so you would have to puzzle it out, Adah,Adar,Adat refer to laws which Mrs.Price was encountering as a Christian missionary  in an African country which had acclimated to Muslim culture in a period much later than the references she usually reads of that other Semitic origin in her Christian Bible.  Adar is in fact the present period of time of the year, particularly accented in leap year such as this. And if you just drop off the final consonant, and leave it at Ada, what do you get?  Ada Lovelace, Lord Byron's daughter, English mathematician who worked with Charles Babbage, assisting him with his mechanical computer. Ada is the name of a high-level computer programming language used chiefly in real-time computerized control systems.

Why you go attacking other people verbally is another matter, I quote:
"My dear, might I respectfully suggest that the next time you...."

You do not respectfully suggest any such thing in your assumed stylistic diction, you insultingly invent probabilities which I could suggest you look into for yourself since you have mentioned them several times over the years in references to yourself. Do not project them on other people.
The other night in Campaign forum you literally made up anything that came to mind, in regard to myself, because you felt like it and in an authoritive persona just wigged it, speaking about things you know nothing about whatsoever and you insist on doing this when present --about what ever I mention.

Which is exactly why I did mention something to weezo. Weezo was there and she witnessed the entire episode.

I am not your mother.  You have gone into that matter several times, comparing in that particular discussion,The Poisonwood Bible, your family compared to other posters, since that is the subject of the book read.  This does not mean that I am here for your convenience to take out your displeasure and project on me your disastisfactions.  So take your own too liberally proffered persistently intrusive advice.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1136 on: March 11, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »

Topically coincidental?  I think not.  It is quite clear that you have some obsession with me, to the point of stalking me from forum to forum, saving all of my posts, asking questions about my living arrangements.  And given your obvious lack of mental stability, I find it quite creepy.  Perhaps this is something I ought to discuss with the moderator.

I was not the one who “wigged it” last week.  I made a comment in response to another poster, which by the way could not possibly be construed as negative.  You responded quite crassly:

National / Campaign Trail / Re: Campaign Trail  on: March 07, 2008, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: Lhoffman on March 07, 2008, 12:17:25 PM
Quote from: obertray on March 07, 2008, 12:15:26 PM

(Obertray) Barack Obama has made a huge mistake, he painted himself into a corner and there is no way he can win the general election (IMHO). Furthermore, if he's going to fall apart (which it seems like at least his campaign is doing) after three months of primaries, what's he going to be like after (lets say 6) months from June to January of whithering criticism from the right?

(Lhoffman) I dunno...it seems that criticism would be far easier to take after one has landed a job than when one is interviewing for it.

(Madupont)  Typical ignorant itchbway...

Above you write: 
As I recall you have access to an Oxford English Dictionary, so look at it there rather than the translated Hebrew text, for the name of Adah Price, on the basis of what you acknowledged: that the consonants would change over time so you would have to puzzle it out, Adah,Adar,Adat refer to laws which Mrs.Price was encountering as a Christian missionary in an African country which had acclimated to Muslim culture in a period much later than the references she usually reads of that other Semitic origin in her Christian Bible.

Apparently the source of your bitterness.  Your thinking is flawed here.  If all of the other Price sister’s names were taken from the Old Testament, discounting the traditional lack of vowels, then there is no reason that Adah’s was not also taken from the same source. 

I was not the one who out of the blue resurrected a seven month old conversation: 

March 7, Campaign forum: 
....discussion of a novel,The Poisonwood Bible, wasn't it where you made a joke about my not probably understanding anything about Ugandan-Congolese politics right?. "Naming the name incorrectly might be dangerous" was the remark you made at the time.  I hold you to it,Toots, that's the day that you made an enemy.

Actually, my comment about naming names incorrectly had nothing to do with you or politics, but with superstitions.  And if you consider it a personal insult, then you ought to take it up with Kingsolver herself, as my comment was a direct quote from her book…taken from a conversation where two of the main characters discussed the spiritual importance of names and how a name links to identity...something you would have known if you had bothered to read the book instead of Googling it. 

But dear Mad One, I tire of dealing with your lunatic ravings, and I am putting you on ignore.  As I suggested previously, you really ought to consider getting help.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:23:04 AM by Lhoffman » Logged
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:07 AM »

After several days of no access due to husband's online course and kid's...whatever is to the fore, I came in to see if anyone had comment on the final ep of The Wire and was surprised to find none.  Undeserved ignominy!  Did hear the writers on NPR this a.m., sounding mighty tired, but still graciously receiving on air calls from viewers--one teacher who said they nailed the education aspect.  I'm sure they're discouraged that all the critical praise (late in building, now perhaps just past crest while their minds are already elsewhere) probably means naught as far as policy changes, though some callers sounded like they wanted to take some kind of action*  They're  off to Iraq, wonder if they think film making will change anything there.  Plenty of others seem to be on that "beat" already--I'd rather see them tackle something else.  Both, though, seem to know it was time to get out of Dodge--er, Baltimore.

*One link to a related site took me to a group pledging to do "jury nullification"--if serving on a jury, they'll never vote for conviction in a drug case.  Seems like a pretty easy vow to keep, but  I mean really, is there no other way to influence public policy?  Obviously I've lived in CA too long--we vote on everything all the time. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:07:53 AM by nytempsperdu » Logged
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1138 on: March 11, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

Sorry I'm not a Wire watcher.  It's mainly lack of cable, plus maybe some bias -- some of us west of the Missouri tend not to gravitate to the gritty east coast dramas so much.    It's not an aversion, just that some of these shows don't have so much of a following here, don't get chatted about at the water cooler.  Still, I suspect it's the best urban drama on tv. 

Did watch an episode of New Amsterdam last night, a new Fox series about a 400 year old detective whose crime-fighting skills are enhanced by all the, uh, life wisdom accrued over the centuries.  Lots of ironic wink-wink jokes where he remembers some life experience that has a bearing on the case and sort of skips past how it was 257 years ago -- or mentions it outright and then his partner rolls her eyes and we know how she digs his being so eccentric and all.  Probably a series too dumb to live.  Definitely not destined for (cough) immortality.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »

Did watch an episode of New Amsterdam last night, a new Fox series about a 400 year old detective whose crime-fighting skills are enhanced by all the, uh, life wisdom accrued over the centuries.  Lots of ironic wink-wink jokes where he remembers some life experience that has a bearing on the case and sort of skips past how it was 257 years ago -- or mentions it outright and then his partner rolls her eyes and we know how she digs his being so eccentric and all.  Probably a series too dumb to live.  Definitely not destined for (cough) immortality.

I watched it for the first time last night and that was pretty much my reaction as well. I thought he might be more cynical after 400 years, but he seemed in a surprisingly good mood for a quatracentenarian.

Took me a few moments to recall where I'd seen his partner. She was the femme fatale in the short-lived spinoff of The X-Files called The Lone Gunmen.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: