Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 10:16:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19618 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: March 12, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

Good call -- I remember TLG, but not actually watching it.  Sounded like a bad idea to spinoff with such minor characters -- your audience is going to take one look and say, where are Mulder and Scully?  M & S were the heart and soul of X-Files, the Odd Couple of the paranormal.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: March 12, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/03/breaking_elliot_spitzer_comple.html

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: March 12, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

From the Washington Post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/television/features/2007/lost-central/lost_madness.html

They are doing a Lost-Madness tournament similar to March Madness. We get to vote on which characters we like better in each segment of the draw. As busy as this show is, it should be no surprise that they were able to come up with 64 characters with which to fill the bracket. Not all of the characters are people, though. I see that Smoke Monster beat Polar Bear in the first round.

If they had put Jack and Locke on opposite sides of the draw, I'm pretty sure those two would have made it to the final for a "Faith vs Reason" Battle of the Ages. The way they structured the draw, however, those two guys are seeded to meet in the quarterfinals. So, let's see, on one side of the draw I predict Jack will advance to the final. On the "Other" side I think Juliet will be his opponent in the final in an upset over Ben just cause she's hot (and, not incidentally, becoming a more sympathetic character each week).

Log on to the Washington Post site and get voting, people!
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1143 on: March 13, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »

Wish time were infinite and I could follow all these Lost blogs 'n threads.  Interesting to learn that the guy who played Minkowski, Fisher Stevens, was also on the time-warping show Early Edition, where a guy would get tomorrow's newspaper today.  "Lost" seems to have a way with casting people who were down the bizarro rabbit hole in other programs.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: March 13, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

And all I knew Fisher Stevens for was cheating on Michelle Pfeiffer, which I find pretty bizarro in its own way.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: March 13, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »

Gotta say, television is not nearly as entertaining as the Internet is to me.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: March 13, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

That comment is sort of borne out by the Lost phenomenon -- the blogomania and general crazy chat that emanates from the watchers is almost more entertaining than the show itself!

Hugely looking forward to learning the sixth member of the Oceanic Six tonight  (and this will also settle whether or not Aaron was one of them).

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: March 13, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »

Nothing seals a character's fate on Lost like being played by an actor who's been arrested for DWI.

Jin, Sun, Sayid, Desmond, Juliet: My five favorite characters all with good screen time in the same hour. That alone made it a great episode for me.

Best LOL line of the night was Sayid re the lima beans: "I hope they resolve their kitchen issues."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »

Whoa, I was just going to post a "Lima Beans??" quote, too.   

Jin and Sun are compelling characters -- how many caught the split between flashback and flashforward before the end -- they dropped a big hint in the toy store, where the shopkeeper holds up a stuffed dragon and says something about it's being the year of the dragon.  I knew it couldn't be 2012, which meant Jin had to be back in 2000 on his panda expedition (I keep a World Almanac handy at all times).

Other random thoughts -- why can't Regina read? (she's holding her book upside down)  I guess it makes sense -- island proximity can fry some people's brains, which might then lead to suicide.   It's still an odd concept: if you're actually ON the island, then it cures spinal trauma and cancer and even offers new hope for the dead, but if you're CLOSE to the island, then it's all nosebleeds and illiteracy and time warps and generally losing the old marbles.

Bernard talks to Jin about karma -- Jin catches a fish and Bernard is saying, Hey, good karma! while Jin looks like he's not so sure and it feels like foreshadowing of some kind, which it turns out to be, as we find Jin six feet under at the end.  What mishap brings him here -- something on the island, something en route, or his unsavory prior career somehow catching up with him (as in, KARMA) when he returns home to Korea?

Serious Losties may also wish to pursue the fate of the First Panda.

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »

Was it Regina who jumped overboard in chains?  Huh

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: March 14, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

Yes.  The same woman who was earlier guarding the door to Sayid and Desmond's room, and reading a book upside down until Lapidus comes along and points out the problem.  I usually try to catch the book titles, but missed this one.  I'm guessing it's not a Philip K. Dick novel, but can't rule it out.

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: March 14, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »

Saw only part of that title - "survivors" (of ?)

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: March 14, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »

"The Survivors of the Chancellor" by Jules Verne.  Just checked....this website is ever-vigilant in monitoring all book titles...

http://lostbooks.blogspot.com/

Has synposes of all books appearing on the show...

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: March 14, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »

Other random thoughts -- why can't Regina read? (she's holding her book upside down) 

Maybe she was time travelling under cover of reading?

Also, Jin's DOD on the gravestone was 9/22/04 (I think -- was at a birthday party last night and trying to multi-task) -- so I figured either he dies in a future conflict and is swept under the rug as a plane crash victim or he stayed on the island for some reason.  Normally, I'd say no to his staying, but the Bernard conversation has me on the fence.

Must say I second Earl's DUI observation as well.

I'm off to give myself a headache trying to figure out if the Captain of the ship is trustworthy or not.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1154 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »

"Surprisingly forthcoming" as Sayid sez... (IIRC)

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: