Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 02:32:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19527 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »

Yes, I was reminded of that Twilight Zone episode there, too.  But it isn't just Walt.  All of the survivors have something about them that is  more than the usual and yet they were all lost long before the plane crash.

The problem with the St. Elsewhere ending is that the show began as something quite different.  Even the hauntings were not that weird.  But somehow the ending seemed to spiral out of control. 

I don't mind weirdness (or "cheats" if you will) if they make sense from the beginning. 

But I fear obsession here because I find myself gathering up the books from the series that I haven't read (and even those I have) and reading them to solve the puzzle.   

If it has NOTHING to do with the books.....

And then there is the philosopher angle.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: March 17, 2008, 08:42:29 AM »

Well, they better have a some kind of plan to tie up at least some of their most glaring loose ends, beyond a "Newhart" dream scenario.

I want to know about the Smoke Monster, for one thing.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

Everyone wants to know about Smokie, even Ben it seems.

Off the top of my head, famous philosopher and physicist names in the series:

Rousseau
Locke
Hume
Faraday
Minkowski
Linus (well, that's Pauling's FIRST name, but what the heck)
Eko (as in Umberto Eco, recognized as both philosopher and literary author)
Alpert (famous psychologist, research partner of Timothy Leary, aka Ram Dass)
Lewis (C.S.)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: March 17, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »

Everyone wants to know about Smokie, even Ben it seems.

Off the top of my head, famous philosopher and physicist names in the series:

Rousseau
Locke
Hume
Faraday
Minkowski
Linus (well, that's Pauling's FIRST name, but what the heck)
Eko (as in Umberto Eco, recognized as both philosopher and literary author)
Alpert (famous psychologist, research partner of Timothy Leary, aka Ram Dass)
Lewis (C.S.)

You left out Woody Allen.

Grin

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1174 on: March 17, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »

SCOTUS looking at FCC  regs on use of F-Word:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-03-17_D8VF9S5G0&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1175 on: March 17, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »

"Everyone wants to know about Smokie..."

Yeh - that's why I think they oughta have a plan to tell us what's up with that.

Smokey the polar bear? Nah - gotta be better than that!

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1176 on: March 17, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »

Well, if it is all in somebody's mind, please, not Jack's...  Sorry, hoffman, maybe early days Jack is/was fine and group sure needed a doc, but by the 3rd season, the "Big 3" of Vacuous Jack, Scowling Sawyer & their Kissing Kate could drop off the edge for all I cared.  But then, peripheral characters have always been way more interesting to me.

I was convinced by the middle of season two that the writers had not expected, much less written for, more than a season ahead and have been feeling their way ever since, throwing in whatever seemed even marginally related or relatable.  I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and love to see if/for how long they can successfully "wing it."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: March 17, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »

Nytemps...I really don't care much for Jack myself.  He's sort of a jerk.  I've wondered about his tatoo, though.  He seems like he'd be a little older than the generation that sees tatoos as the norm.  Coming from Med School and all, when would he have gotten it?  People his age got tatoos more during their rebellious stage.  I had the feeling Jack didn't rebel until he turned his dad in for operating under the influence.

Sawyer, I still like. 

But as you say....first season.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1178 on: March 18, 2008, 08:25:12 AM »

Nytemps...I really don't care much for Jack myself.  He's sort of a jerk.  I've wondered about his tatoo, though.  He seems like he'd be a little older than the generation that sees tatoos as the norm.  Coming from Med School and all, when would he have gotten it?  People his age got tatoos more during their rebellious stage.  I had the feeling Jack didn't rebel until he turned his dad in for operating under the influence.

Sawyer, I still like. 

But as you say....first season.

There was an episode sometime (Season 2 or 3?) which dealt with how Jack got his tatoo when he visited Thailand. If I remember right, the translation for it is, "He walks among us, but he is not one of us." According to Jack, however, "That's only what it says; it's not what it means."

On any other network show something like that would be the most cryptic thing in the story, an important part of the plot.. The fustrating and wonderful thing about Lost is that something like that is merely a vaguely interesting footnote.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:28:44 AM by Earl » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1179 on: March 18, 2008, 11:23:22 AM »

"Does this rabbit have a number on it?"

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1180 on: March 18, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »

Ah...Thailand.  Will probably get to that flashback soon.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1181 on: March 19, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

Five week hiatus after tomorrow's episode, BTW.

Then we get six new Post-Strike episodes.

While you wait, there's always that tapping on the pipes to decode (that Sayid was hearing while he and Desmond were in the roach cabin, dining on lima beans).  And William Hope Hodgson novels to read!  And, should you still find that extra hour in your week too interminable, don't forget that "Atlas Shrugged" has 1100 pages of pure readin' pleasure!

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1182 on: March 19, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »

Barton, I'd say Atlas Shrugged has about 600 pages of pure reading pleasure.  Then Rand seems to lose faith in her writing and has John Galt explain it to us.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1183 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »

Ayn Rand was a sophomoric hack.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1184 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12:47 AM »

I've always liked her stories up to the point where here characters drop their own persona and take on hers.  We the Living and Anthem were shorter and so the problem wasn't so pronounced. 

But, coming from her background in Russia, you can make that point that her characters are always her, the little guy getting gobbled up the the system. 

I'll give you, though, that she was no Nabokov...who was born about the same time, came from the same system, lost everything he and his family owned and came through it all with a whimsical and delightful sense of fun and gamesmanship.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:16:36 AM by Lhoffman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: