Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14192 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »

Seeking surcease of newbie status,

I fill these boxes with cerebral flatus,

If these reflections do offend,

Let me know and I'll amend,

With words of insight, wit, and relevance,

I'll banish unicorns and pink elephants.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »

Prairie,

We are also on Satellite, but I tend more to favor the SciFi channel, which is about to bring me a couple of ours of the variations of Star Trek. I also watch old JAG, and this morning a bunch of Air Wolf, tho I was doing some accounting on the computer while I watched Air Wolf.  I can watch the tv when I turn my head from my computer screen, which gives me a quick fix of reality when the tv lapses into commercials.

Do you do any of the movie channels? We do Starz, and have for a number of years, even tho we keep promising to alternate from time to time. But, Starz seems to change movies just as we are totally bored with what they have been showing.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 10:53:08 AM »

Lost fans -- you have eight months to gnaw on who's in the casket and just who was Naomi and what did Jack do that was so awful he wants to kill himself in the future.

Going to half-seasons is sad.  That much of a hiatus and you start to lose people.  This sort of downsizing seems premature, given the show's success so far.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »

Lost fans -- you have eight months to gnaw on who's in the casket and just who was Naomi and what did Jack do that was so awful he wants to kill himself in the future.

Going to half-seasons is sad.  That much of a hiatus and you start to lose people.  This sort of downsizing seems premature, given the show's success so far.

Gotta be Ben. 

Second choice: Locke.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 07:54:15 PM »

The hubby first thought maybe Sawyer was in the box, but the way Kate said "I've got to get back to him" we kind of discounted that down the line.   Or maybe not, because you just never know.  Maybe Kate's back married to Nathan Fillion.

I took Jack's attempted suicide by recklessness as not so much the consequence of having done something specific as a general regret after realizing, once he got back to mainstream life, that he was happier on the island. I'm saying this without knowing what transpires on the island between last night's events and the rescue, so am probably way off.  Being an out of control idiot doesn't necessarily originate from a specific event, though. Signed, One Who Knows     But I did almost laugh out loud when Jack told Kate "The Golden Pass they gave us...I fly every weekend......" 

I think the flashes might have been a combination of forward and backward.  At one point, he tells the doctor to get his dad, and if Jack's drunker than him, he'll leave.   We were thinking about whether this means the flashes went both ways, or if Jack was just so out of it, he forgot his dad was gone.  Or if the writers just slipped; but that's a big one, and I don't think it would get by.

And Charlie's finally gone -- unfortunately, right before he died, he became so much more likeable than usual, and it's like "Damn, don't die now, you're interesting."  But if you've got to go, I guess that's the way.  Though I couldn't help thinking that if he'd thought about it for a second, Charlie could have watched the water gushing in, timed it to take a huge breath at the last second, and once the water pressure equalized, squirm out the window and swim upward.

And I couldn't help noticing that Hurley seems to have escaped that black cloud of doom, and is no longer handicapping himself through self-doubt.  Which is why I was sure he was going to get shot through the windshield and die, since he seems redeemed, or at least well on the way.  (I just choose not to address the way a VW microbus would probably really handle on a sandy beach.)

And -- Lost doesn't have to mean stranded on a desert island.  Perhaps the coming three mini-seasons will do some dealing with the fact that even though these people are rescued, they are still... well, Lost.  (See Jack's behavior.  See Kate still coming when Jack calls, even though her future clearly isn't with him.)  If the show goes all soapy like Gray's Anatomy or Brothers & Sisters, I'm outta here.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »

The synopsis Comcast had on screen indicated Jack was having constant flashbacks, so the bearded, drunken and angst-ridden Jack was in the past. 

Bearded Jack who was gonna kill himself was in the future.. the whole flashback was in the future.  He said the thing about his Dad probably while too messed up to remember he was dead.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »

Re Who's in the casket:

Gotta be Ben. 

Second choice: Locke.

I had those as my top two choices also, but in reverse order.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »

I doubt it's Ben.  There is something about Ben that suggests the perennial survivor.
Locke would be my guess, as well.  I even wondered if, in the process of rescue, and some inquest into the death of Naomi by the shadowy whoevers on the ship, Jack gave Locke up.  But that's speculating with very thin material.

Jack was definitely in the future.  Note that he meets up with Kate and she makes a remark, regarding his rescue of people in the burning car, something like, "Back to pulling people out of burning wreckage, eh?"  And, then, just in case you didn't pick up on that, there's Jack crying, "We have to GO BACK TO THE ISLAND."  Whatever synopsis placed him in the past, may have been written by someone who didn't actually watch the show.  Unless one conjures flashbacks and flashforwards interspersed, and with amazing Identical Beards and Forehead Bandaids.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 10:48:25 AM »

In the interests of continuing the ascent to Hero Member, I'll add that Richard Alpert, Ben's childhood mentor and later subordinate, is also the name of Timothy Leary's famous research partner at Harvard, and later a promoter of eastern thought and psychedelia who took the name Baba Ram Dass.

I like the way the writers screw around with names.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »

BTW, if Kate was rescued, then she has somehow eluded identification by the authorities and somehow settled into some kind of fugitive status.

Yet, when she is talking with Jack in the flashforward, Jack says something about "the free flight passes they gave US...."  I'm pretty sure he was saying "us" as in, you and me, but this is problematic.  The only free pass Kate would receive, were she to step forward, would be a go directly to jail pass.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »

Locke would have had some more people show up to his funeral, no?  Thats what made me think Ben.  Unless Locke becomes a Marlon Brando figure from Apocalypse Now.  Maybe this season marks the beginning of Locke replacing Ben as the top bad guy.

-Dave Attell
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »

I do see Locke has heading in a Kurtz-ish direction, so I can well imagine him not having anyone show for the viewing.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 12:44:44 PM »

At least, that's the opinion of this Junior Member.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »

I do see Locke has heading in a Kurtz-ish direction, so I can well imagine him not having anyone show for the viewing.

In the first season when I first started watching Lost there was a scene in which Locke was whittling in the jungle. I recall wondering at the time how many ways a bald guy can be filmed whittling in the jungle without it reminding one of Brando in Apocolypse Now. To take the Brando comparison further, wasn't there a scene in the pilot in which John put an orange peel in his mouth?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »

Earl, I think you're right about the orange peel scene.

Re Who's in the box -- the hubby thought it might have been Michael (Walt's dad) at one point, but I accused him of racial profiling.  His thinking was Michael would probably have died poor, and a lot of people didn't like him by the time he "left" (because who knows if he really did leave or not?).  But in addition to Michael's alienating the general island public by selling them out, he killed Libby, thereby alienating the one guy who'd go to anyone's funeral, Hurley.

Supposedly there's a screenshot out there somewhere of the newspaper clipping -- which by the way, I found myself craning my neck to try and get a better angle on, as if I could, and that's exactly what the producers/writers wanted me to do, damnit! -- that shows the letter "J" in the name.  But there are a lot of "J"s out there; and if I recall, Ben isn't necessarily Ben's real name, is it?  And I'm not thinking about Henry Gale.   Will have to do some poking around when I get back to the world of DSL.

barton, you're just a status whore.  And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: