Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 21, 2018, 12:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 25975 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: April 07, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »

Barton,

I found it, the gerbil disappears episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm; the new weeks schedule by e-mail arrived.
http://www.hbo.com/larrydavid/episode/season6/episode60.html

Reading an outline is nigh on to impossible to find funny, in comparison to seeing it acted on tv. First of all, as you and I discussed, it is an  unbelievable situation that apparently happened to somebody before the writers got going on incorporating it into the comedy series.

Now, if somebody knows if any of these are being made available on video, there's a chance you will find it as funny as the original showing originally was.

I can't even get the video sample to work properly!  Originally, we were talking about this, in some outlandish place like Food Matters, or Diet and Exercise, or Pets?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »

I don't know, but I've posted my hamster-child-eats-broccoli video over there in Pets.  Thank you for alerting me to the gerbil episode.  I will check availability.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: April 09, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »

I know. I showed the broccoli eating episode to my cat who probably thought it was like the rabbits that used to run around here in Spring. She does not have endurance of patience for viewing computer but felines do like "moving pictures. She has a sporadic attitude about television observed from her perch so that she is at eye level but about ten feet away from the action; because it used to be very annoying when she searched "for the bird" around the back of the tv.  We've broken that juvenile fixation now that she is a grown furry person.

I mean she could see the resemblence to the broccoli eater, expecially that enthusiasm with the feet.  When that kicked in, it made A Hamster Eats Broccoli, a real movie.
obertray

« Reply #1218 on: April 14, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/business/media/14cbs.html?dpc

I see the The Big Bang Theory is the only new CBS Sitcom to be renewed for next year. OTOH I can't be sure which others there were (new this year) I thought that Rules Of Engagement and New Tales Of Old Christine were both on last year as well.

Both have been worked over without being really worked on (or visa versa) Christine has been an embarassment to watch (all the guilt, without the pleasure of a guilty pleasure) and they have thrown every anything against the wall to try to make it stick. It would probably be better if they put it on a different night, and made that night Va Jie Juy night as Monday night is Guy's night out on CBS! Ending it with JLD trying hard to be one of the guys just doesn't work. Rules OTOH is a fair compromise and it has wisely decided that the younger couple are the sub plot. And David Spade is much funnier being slapped about than being a super stud.

Does CBS even have other sitcoms? I really don't know.

Boston Legal was new last week (BL had been running new eps through much of the writer's strike, I'm not sure how). It's trying really hard not to become a parody of itself (after it already parodied itself out of parodyable material). Alan Shore doesn't get the impossible cases anymore (or at least hasn't recently) while I'm glad that he is stepping back from "Sugarbaker's syndrome" I did like the "Newsiness" of the show when he argued the case of the week. The cast seems to have calmed down as opposed to the popcorn machine that it was with people coming and going at an alarming and unpredictable rate. When I saw Stephen Root (whom I will always have a soft spot for due to his role in News Radio) come in I was elated that he might join the cast, but alas, I think not.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1219 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »

I don't watch BL, but I'd watch Stephen Root in most anything....even "Dodgeball."  Will try to catch TBBT this week -- which is high praise, given my basic aversion to sitcoms.  I have to give them props for actually getting a lot of the science jabber right -- a lot of shows where there is "science" tend to have bad science and you know that the writers were all English majors and scientiphobes.

luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: April 19, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »

Best survivor episode recently with a wicked "blindside" to the overconfident favorite Ozzie. Reality is great.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: April 21, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »

I do believe that Lost starts up with new episodes this Thursday at 10pm. 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: April 22, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »

Still trapped on the island, Hurley seeks solace in raiding the Dharma stores and finishes off the last of the peanut butter supply.  Jack, furious, gains group support for a medical intervention, and Hurley is subjected to involuntary baryatric surgery.  As the anesthetic takes effect, Hurley sets a new Island record for consecutive repetitions of the word "dude!"  Kate, after a tearful confession that she has been hoarding a blowdrier, tries to make amends by offering three of her favorite scrunchies to serve as the lap-band for Hurley's gastric reduction.   

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »

Kate, after a tearful confession that she has been hoarding a blowdrier....   

Yeah, but who rides the bamboo bike they made to power it up -- Sawyer or Jack?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: April 22, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »

LMAO!

Jack -- the seat is made of wood, which explains why his relationship with Kate remains platonic.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: April 25, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »

Sean Ben-nery

Good episode -- no time wasted on red herrings and teases, just flat
out action and harrowing moments. Ben loses daughter, grieves, plots
revenge, teleports (apparently -- arctic jacket in Sahara), reveals mastery of ol' Smokie, and
handles himself like a runty 007.  Much revealed, we have a solid idea
who the bad guys are,  and our whole sympathy system is both engaged and
rearranged.  Ben has a heart, and it can be broken. I teared up a
little meself.

Going cold turkey on blogs and video easter eggs.  It's good tv and it stands on its own.  Lindelof and Cuse, you give the tube a good name.

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: April 25, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Good and accurate post, Barton - thumbs up.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: April 25, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Agree, barton and NOTA -- great episode.  Lots of bloodshed, and I thought Claire was going to buy it, making a fairly simple explanation for how Aaron ended up with Kate.  When she came to (with nary a scratch, hmmm), there went my theory.  But when Miles made that mumbly comment about Claire not having that long or something, I was right back to "Aha!"  This show makes me nuts, which is one of my favorite things about it.

I also got the feeling that the person responsible for killing Nadia (right? the briefly married Mrs. Sayid) was Ben, not Widmore.  Just too convenient that Ben had the traffic light photo, and  it certainly served its purpose in 1) taking any meaning out of Sayid's life so he doesn't care what he does, including work for Ben; and 2) giving Sayid the ultimate mission -- avenging Nadia's death -- except that he's really taking out all Widmore's men in the Widmore/Linus real world chess match.   Which reminds me -- anything to the line about Australia being "the key to everything" in the game of Risk? 

With Jack going down with appendicitis and Sawyer headed back to the beach, wondering if there's going to be any leadership issues. I mean, Sawyer's a natural leader and Jack....well, he's just not.  Plus Kate is going to be all befuddled about whom to drop her bra strap for. 

Ben and Smokey - so in the first season when Smokey came up to John Locke and stared him down, then left him -- suppose it reported back to Ben?  Almost like Ben got a read on JL from Smokey and was able to plan his approach, ie knowing JL's vulnerabilities, etc.  Just a random thought.

And remember the "who's in the coffiin" debate?  I'm inclined to think it's Ben, like Widmore finally got him. Or not.

And finally, I believe Penny is on the island with Desmond (partly because I'd like a happy ending for him) and that's why Ben will never find her.  Since apparently the island has relocated or gone back under the radar or whatever, and that's why Jack is always taking random stabs on boarding an ill-fated plane. 

Oh yeah, loved the Dharma parka bit, too.   
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1228 on: April 26, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Harrie,

I'm not theorizing these days.  It's Spring and I just want to think about Melora Walters in that cute red swimsuit in "Cabin Boy."

Ben killing Nadia hadn't occurred to me -- I hope not, I sort of want to like Ben a little bit.  Demond and Penny, both on the island?  Sweet.  "Desmond has a barrow in the marketplace, Penny is a singer in the band...."  Oh bla dee!

I figured Hurley was joking, in the Risk game, i.e. they all boarded 815 in Sydney, and were in Oz for important reasons.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: April 26, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

Sorry, barton, didn't mean to overspeculate.  But I didn't think Ben's having Nadia killed would be particularly out of his already established character, and he's still likeable in his own way.  I look at this as an examination of his character -- what we've learned about him so far, anyway -- not necessarily spoilerific or brain-aching theorization.  But hey.

I thought Ben was kind of smirky when Sayid came over to his side, so to speak. And love him or hate him, Ben is a master manipulator with his own, very personally tailored moral code; so not only do I think he could have engineered Nadia's death, but he might have felt it was 100% justifiable.  I don't mean this as a knock on Ben, or that it makes him less likeable; it just makes him Ben.  Now, review my track record, and the odds are I'm 100% wrong; so never fear, Ben is just a super-geeky 007 type, loveable as ever.

The AVClub has a Cuse-Lindelof interview linked on IMDB - here's the link if anyone's interested, but they warn it's spoilerish.  http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/losts_damon_lindelof_and   

In the interview, one of them mentions that Ben was initially a small part, but they really liked Michael Emerson so built his part up more.  **Spoiler? I don't know. But just in case:   And the actor who played Mr. Eko hated Hawaii, so they wrote him off the show despite having started with bigger plans for him; which I think is too bad, because I thought he was a really interesting character. ** End Spoiler
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: