Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 02:33:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19528 times)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1230 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »

Agreed that last Thursday gave us an excellent episode of Lost. Another point about Ben waking up in the Sahara was that he didn't know the date. Indeed, he was so far out of whack timewise that he even had to ask the hotel clerk what year it was. It made me wonder if, while leaving the island, Ben had gone through a time-warp thingy similar to the one that afflicted Desmond. Exept that Ben certainly adjusted to to it awfully quickly, as if he'd done it many times before. Wonder who/what Ben's constant is.

Again closed captions prove helpful while watching this show. When Ben was first approached by the two guys on horseback, he tried English and it didn't work. Then he tried another language and the caption read "Ben speaking Arabic" and that didn't work. Then he tried again and the caption read "Ben speaking Turkish" which also failed. Just how multilingual is he?

Good point, Bart, about Ben handling himself like 007. Funny, I always kinda thought that the key to Ben's power was being on the island. For some reason I believed that he would be rather ordinary if taken off the island. It was fun to see that even off the island he is just as cunning and resourceful, and may even have more tools at his disposal.

I wonder what circumstances exist between Ben and Widmore that would make Ben say that he couldn't kill him.

No comments on Ben using the alias "Dean Moriarty"?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: April 26, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Dean Moriarty was sighted on one of the fake passports earlier in the season, IIRC, and the Kerouac connection noted....also, that Jin had his finger placed roughly over the town of Moriarty, NM while pointing at Albuquerque earlier in season.  As I said, I'm staying off herring for a while until my sodium levels drop a bit.

Funny that Mr. Eko's actor didn't like Hawaii.  I mean, I could understand filming in someplace like Novosibirsk and a cast member getting a little depressed and sick of the place, but....Hawaii?

Ben's whole 007 thing did seem reinforced by the poly-linguality.  I'd love to see what his Ol' Smokie Control Console looks like, too.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1232 on: April 26, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »

Agreed that last Thursday gave us an excellent episode of Lost. Another point about Ben waking up in the Sahara was that he didn't know the date. Indeed, he was so far out of whack timewise that he even had to ask the hotel clerk what year it was. It made me wonder if, while leaving the island, Ben had gone through a time-warp thingy similar to the one that afflicted Desmond. Exept that Ben certainly adjusted to to it awfully quickly, as if he'd done it many times before. Wonder who/what Ben's constant is.

Again closed captions prove helpful while watching this show. When Ben was first approached by the two guys on horseback, he tried English and it didn't work. Then he tried another language and the caption read "Ben speaking Arabic" and that didn't work. Then he tried again and the caption read "Ben speaking Turkish" which also failed. Just how multilingual is he?

Good point, Bart, about Ben handling himself like 007. Funny, I always kinda thought that the key to Ben's power was being on the island. For some reason I believed that he would be rather ordinary if taken off the island. It was fun to see that even off the island he is just as cunning and resourceful, and may even have more tools at his disposal.

I wonder what circumstances exist between Ben and Widmore that would make Ben say that he couldn't kill him.

No comments on Ben using the alias "Dean Moriarty"?

I think you hit upon it.

If Widmore is Ben's constant, then that could explain why Ben couldn't kill Widmore.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: April 26, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

I think you hit upon it.

If Widmore is Ben's constant, then that could explain why Ben couldn't kill Widmore.

Ooooh, I really like that.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1234 on: April 26, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »

I don't think Widmore is Ben's constant, at least based on what Faraday was saying the qualifications for a constant were.  And I don't think Ben is just jumping around in time the same way that Desmond was, such that he needs to see a pal or here come the nosebleeds and sudden naps.  To me, it's more like Ben has access to the Island's "control room" -- something that serves as a kind of terminus for all the wormholes or warps -- and can sort of catch the right train.  I mean, he's aiming for Tikrit, to rope in Sayid, and he lands in Tunisia pretty close to the right time to catch up with Sayid.  He asks the date and year, just to be sure.  I figured the Dharma arctic jacket was just a precaution, the system can be touchy, that sort of thing.  I think Widmore's assertion that Ben can't kill him has to do with some other kind of leverage he has, and maybe his (Widmore's) prior connection to the island, of which he reminds Ben.

Also, possible that Ben is wearing the arctic jacket because he stopped in at the arctic station as part of his Penny hunt.

Well, there's a Penny for your thoughts.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: April 26, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

BTW, jog my memory -- was it also Tunisia where C.S. Lewis was examining the polar bear skeleton with the Dharma stuff buried with it, right before she was called off on the Island mission?  I seem to remember it was somewhere in Africa.

So it's a stop on the wormhole subway, and you can be sure there's a station in the arctic and perhaps polar bears occasionally stumble into it and get accidentally translated to Tunisia or the island or wherever.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: April 29, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »

Which - -and you've probably already said this -- would explain why Ben landed in the desert wearing a Dharma parka.  He needed it for the stopover. 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1237 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »

There's also a portal in Bob Newhart's bed.  Ben will appear there at the end of the series.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »

Alas, Suzanne Pleshette's not in that bed any more.  Ben will be mighty disappointed.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1239 on: April 29, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »

Alas, Suzanne Pleshette's not in that bed any more.  Ben will be mighty disappointed.

Hmm. And you know this... how?

>>>------------------------------------->>>

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »

NOTA -- major media outlets and newspapers recently reported the passing of Suzanne Pleshette.   If we are to believe these reports, and discard rumors that she has been cryogenically frozen and is presently passing the time in an underground vault with Ted Williams and Walt Disney, awaiting revival, then it seems unlikely that she will be making any more guest appearances in current tv productions. 

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: April 29, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »

(or was that a time travel joke?)

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: April 29, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »

I'll bet SP would look pretty smokin' in a parka....
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »

(or was that a time travel joke?)

Bingo.

My apology for bad taste.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1244 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:20 PM »

I live for bad taste.  I am just (un?)usually obtuse this morning -- combine obtuseness with pedantry, and you have a deadly mix.

I'm wondering now if Ben would be attracted to Suzanne Pleshette, if Juliet is his "type."  When I was around 17, SP was mos def my type.  At that time, I had some kind of French (even a surname was sufficient) fetish, and so was easily entranced by Jacqueline Bisset, Yvette Mimieux, Catherine DeNeuve, et al. 

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: