Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 07:12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26052 times)
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: April 29, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »

I can EASILY understand that. I also had a crush on SP and on Jaqueline Bissett - no French fetish required!

I could see Ben going for Yvette...

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1246 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »

A Jack/Kate episode, ho hum, but the promo for next week was fascinating -- looks like Eugene Toombs (the guy who ate people's livers and hibernated for 30 years, on the X-Files) is rising from the dead next week.

One thing, why does Charlotte speak Korean??  This scene seemed unnecessary and a bit silly.

Rose sure nailed it:  utterly weird that Jack should get appendicitis.  The island makes paraplegics walk, the cancerous healed, etc.  So, what's the deal, welcome to the Hotel CA, check out any time you want but you can never leave?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: May 02, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

Another crappy episode of Lost.  Usually this means we either just watched a very goo depisode the week before (which we did) or we will get a very good episode next week (i hope we do).  No explaining why Smokey let Neely and co. live.  You had to kill Mr. Eko but para-militaries who killed the adopted daughter of your 'master' you let go?  C'mon.  And will Claire Die already?  This is taking too long.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1248 on: May 02, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

Yeah, the Jack episodes are usually sub-par, but I liked some stuff in this episode.  A couple things got me confused, though. 

I wouldn't consider it unthinkable that Charlotte knows Korean, depending on what she studied anthropology-wise. In TV anthropology, people travel the world on exciting digs, sometimes staying in exotic locations for extended periods of time.  Okay, so Korea's not exactly exotic, but you never know.  I wouldn't be surprised if she knows some Sumatran dialects as well.  The work she's doing for Widmore might have taken her several places around the world, including Korea. Actually, I'm justifying the TV rule of iffy plot points, and that's about all.

When Lost started, I liked Kate a lot. Now I really dislike her; what is she doing with Jack, who is like poison to her essence?  All he makes her feel is crappy, which makes her weepy and whiny.  Her total upfront badass mojo is gone.   

Same thing with Sawyer -- I've always liked him, and not in a "I hope he's shirtless this week" way.  They've gone too far, IMO, in making him super-concerned about Claire and stuff.  Enough of the close-ups of his furrowed brow, you know?  He's gone a little too soft.

And why is Miles so into Aaron? Does he know something, vibe-wise, that he's not letting on? (like Aaron's astrological sign or something?)  I got the feeling he was more into the baaayy-beeee than its mother.

Totally agree, Kam -- I thought the mercenaries would have been wiped out by Smokey.  What, were they just scolded and one guy roughed up?

Back to Jack-Kate-Sawyer.   When Jack tells Kate that Sawyer chose to stay, it sounds like the helicopter was leaving, and Sawyer stood there on the beach saying "I choose to stay."  What if Sawyer doesn't make it back to the beach at all, and Jack-Kate assume Sawyer stayed with Locke and Ben or in the jungle?  I don't know which is sadder -- a Casablanca-type scenario, or the absence of one. Aaron could get to the beach via Miles or Hurley, if Hurley were allowed to leave once they find Jacob's cabin.

I was thinking maybe Juliet would make a big, ugly scar as revenge for Jack loving Kate  -- if treating her the way he does is love -- but in the sheet scene, it's not like I really squinted or froze the picture or anything, but that scar healed up really nicely.  Like it's not there at all.  Does anyone really walk around the house with a sheet tucked in at the waist?  At my house, it's pull on some sweats or shorts, depending on the season.

And I agree 100% with Rose's observation (and barton's observation of same)  - I wish she got more lines, because when she speaks, she speaks volumes. 

And finally, I thought Aaron would be standing in the hallway with a stuffed polar bear, not an orca.

Okay, really finally -- we find out how Sun gets off the island but Jin doesn't (sort of). 

I like Farraday a lot, but I want to make him a sandwich or something.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: May 03, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »

LOL "sandwich."  But the writers are just following some tv rule about brilliant physicists being absent-minded children.  Note that he's still wearing his tie.  Only someone deep in abstraction would leave their tie on in the tropics.

Re Sawyer going soft -- is this a result of reading too much Judy Blume? 

Re

"When Lost started, I liked Kate a lot. Now I really dislike her; what is she doing with Jack, who is like poison to her essence?  All he makes her feel is crappy, which makes her weepy and whiny.  Her total upfront badass mojo is gone."

Word X 100!

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: May 03, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

OK, don't laugh, but now I've got a wacky "Lost" theory --

Claire is already dead.  She got blown into icky gobs of Claire-burger when Team Freighter attacked, but is Sixth Sense-ing her way around Sawyer and Miles and Aaron, thanks to the island's knack for empowering and solidifying dead people.

Christian came by the other night and said, "Yoohoo, daughter, time to go to the light and quit sucking Sawyer's lifeforce," so she went with Dad and that was that.  When she's not enjoying "the light" and all its exciting night spots and ectoplasmic cuisine, she'll do like Dad and Charlie and Kate's favorite horse and make occasional appearances to the living and have a few laughs making them lose bladder control.

My theory explains everything (see, I'm talking just like a wacky theory nutjob!) -- how Claire emerges all unblemished and dewy from the exploded shack, why Miles keeps eyeballing her in that weird way, and why Sawyer has lost his acid tongue and zest for mocking. 

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: May 03, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »

Soooo....Claire's dead and Sawyer still sees her?  I'd expect Miles to see her and not let on, given his talent and snarky attitude.  So is it possible that the picket fence and picnic table didn't offer Sawyer the protection from automatic weapons during the big confrontation and he's dead too?  Except then Locke, Hurley et al wouldn't see him -- and so on, and so on. So Claire's dead and somehow the strength of her spirit makes her appear to other, live people?  Hmmm.  I've heard wackier stuff.   

Plus that would explain what I thought was Miles' fascination with the baaayyyybeeeee -- maybe he was really thinking, how long can a ghost hold a corporeal object (Aaron)?  Maybe that's why he wanted to hold Aaron -- to give Claire a chance to realize she's dead, let go (literally and figuratively) and move on.  Or why Miles let Claire go into the jungle with Christian without giving chase, knowing Christian would clue her in?

The hubby and I are having a debate -- at the end, where Jack is sucking the life out of Kate Jack and Kate are arguing about the phone call from the playground mom and Kate says she had to do something for "him" -- does him = Sawyer or Ben?  The hubby says Sawyer; I say why not Ben? 
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: May 03, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »

I paid less than full attention when I realized it was gonna be Jack +/or Kate once again, 2 characters I'm interested in the least.  More Faraday, I say! (I also noted the unlikeliness of his persistent tie).

And I agree 100% with Rose's observation (and barton's observation of same)  - I wish she got more lines, because when she speaks, she speaks volumes. 

Ditto, and I also want to know who's doing her hair --have a bit o' expertise re "ethnic" hair and honey, I mean to tell ya, after all the time on the island, she would most definitely not look like that, but the same could be said of many others.  And yes, ain't it grand how all the injuries inflicted not only heal by magic but leave no marks, scars, etc.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: May 04, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

Harrie, nice of you to take my nutty idea and run with it a bit farther.  Yes, I think the island can solidify the dead enough to be seen and hold babies -- we've seen it do this kind of thing before.  What really made the dead Claire theory click was the way that Miles was looking at her.  It wasn't "what do you look like naked?" -- more like "can you sustain this feat of baby-levitation much longer?" -- a nervous fascination.   Another factor in the Claire mystery is just what all did Ethan inject into her when he dragged her off a couple seasons back there.  Also, there's the Oz psychic and his thing about "you have to stay with the bye-bee" -- maybe Christian has to take her aside and explain that she needs to let go and realize that, being dead, she's just not going to be able to stay with Aaron and maintain the industrial-grade psychokinesis.

His name is Christian Shepherd.  Might as well just put a big sign on him saying, "I'm key to the whole island storyline."

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: May 04, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »

Nytemp -- speaking of hair oddities, did you notice the one with Jack this week, i.e. no chest hair at all?  It's like Julia shaves a little square of belly hair for the surgery and....two years later he seems to have had a wax job that will look good down at the gay gym.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: May 04, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »

Hmmm, 'tis true, barton...part of the price of returning to civ. (alleged civ.)?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: May 04, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »

Or they have to show us that the appendectomy scar has vanished and Matthew Fox normally has enough man-rug as to obscure it.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: May 09, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »

Excellent Lost last night, sort of.  There were a couple of detail-y things thrown at us, I kind of figured they were red herrings.  Like Locke's smoke monster drawing, another game of backgammon, Locke's mom and Ben's mom both being named Emily, and there's more that may or may not come to me.

Loved the candy bar scene, that was classic. 

To me, the Claiire thing in the cabin felt kind of ... tawdry, maybe?  She was filtered, looked a little foggy besides - I felt kind of icky about it. Wonder where they're going with that?  So I guess Claire is dead, and is it ironic that she finally gets something to do?

Hubby and I were debating who kills Keamy, assuming that happens.  I vote for Kate (wishful thinking that she can get back to her lovable, cold-blooded self)  or Locke, hubby leans toward Locke or Ben.  I guess I don't discount Ben either, since he's as cold-blooded as anyone.  And what is that on Keamy's arm?

Richard Alpert popping up, and Locke being courted by everyone - Alpert, Abbadon, Mittelos Labs - was intriguing to say the least.  Red herring or no? - When Locke fails the test by choosing the knife, and Alpert says to him "That doesn't belong to you" or whatever -- is there irony or cause or something in that relating to how proficient adult Locke is with a knife?

Also loved that Juliet finally looked like someone stranded on an island. I guess the Dharma vault of cosmetics and hair product is finally running low.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: May 09, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »

The knife choice did seem ironic, yeah -- part of Alpert's manipulation.   More time-is-malleable herrings, for sure.  More indicators that the 815 crash was planned and engineered, with Abbadon planting the Australia seed in Locke's head. 

I wondered what the old book was -- maybe will check screencaps later. 

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: May 09, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »

I wondered what the old book was -- maybe will check screencaps later. 

I think it said "Book of Laws" -- and the (faded) psychedelic-looking cover looked slightly anachronistic to me, but that's probably just me.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: