Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 05:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 25868 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

That's what I thought -- screencap definitely "Book of Laws" -- suggestive of Aleister Crowley's "Book of the Law" ?  Magic?  Hmm.

What is it about Horace's cabin -- his Dharma jacket says "mathematician" so maybe it has a special shape that is hospitable to those in other dimensions.  The actor is very familiar to me, as a former X-Files fan.  He hibernated most of the time, and emerged every 30 years to shapeshift through ventilation shafts and eat people's livers.  Many ex-X-File cast have appeared on "Lost," which isn't too surprising.  Both Locke and Alpert had guest roles in several episodes.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: May 09, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »

What is it about Horace's cabin -- his Dharma jacket says "mathematician" so maybe it has a special shape that is hospitable to those in other dimensions. 

Seriously?  Because I thought Horace was just a mechanism; that is, he came to Locke in a dream with a solution to finding the cabin -- a blueprint and map to it are in his pocket.  Then again, that is awfully simple for the Lost writers. 

I'm confused, time-wise, though.  Horace says he's been dead for 12 years, and for some reason I thought Ben's daughter - I forgot her name already -- was an infant at the time he whacked the Dharmites; yet she's clearly past 12. I think, anyway.  Maybe I just got the timing screwed up, or assumed or whatever, and she was a toddler at the time.

And one person's theory -- definitely not mine, as it makes some sense -- is that the show shakes out like this:  Sayid gets to the island with the Zodiac and gets the O6 (or O5 plus himself) off the island and to the boat.  Goes back for more, and the island's been moved, so he can't rescue any more.  And that's why Jack can't get back, either.

Now my question, time-warp wise is:  Sayid and the doctor leave the ship at approximately the same time.  The doctor arrived two days ago.  So why didn't Sayid arrive yet, particularly since he's got an engine and the dead doc was just drifting?  Is it because Sayid stayed on the compass setting (305?) and so did not time warp?  So should Sayid just have drifted because he'd get to the island faster?

And assuming the copter with Keamy & company is traveling on the same bearing as Sayid, wouldn't they probably shoot him or his boat as they go by? I'd have to think a helicopter outpaces an outboard just about every time.

Okay, done obsessing for now.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

And we nearly missed Lost last night because we started watching the Gabriel Byrne Camelot staging on Live from Lincoln Center.  It was pretty good, except the hubby was heckling it because I guess they touch on possibly historical people (ie, King Arthur) but didn't go very deep, so he was all like "Where's Parsifal?" and stuff. (He swore Pellenore [Christopher Lloyd] did not equal Parsifal.)  Even though he had possession of the remote.  Anyway, if you like the mushy stuff and some gooey tunes, it was a pleasant way to pass the time.  Check your local listings, it's on PBS stations.

Anyone have an opinion on whether King Arthur is buried under Stonehenge?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:03 AM »

Watch:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=93093

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1264 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:05 AM »

The time warp thing is definitely the headache factor this season, Harrie.  I even let myself start musing over the causal implications of that guy saying to the doc, hey they said on the radio that the doc floated ashore with his neck slit.  What if the doc had believed him and ran off and hid somewhere -- would that act of survival (if it worked) change the immediate past?  Would he not be killed and so the memory of that comment would disappear from everyone's mind who heard it?  And all the inconsistency, as you noted, Harrie -- which I guess could be explained by following different bearings and such. 

Which leads to my other brain spasm -- what if "moving the island" doesn't mean moving it, but shifting it (the island of "now") in time?  So the island is still THERE, but when you land on it, it's 578 BC.

OR, the island exists in some other place or dimension and the only thing that exists on earth, in the Pacific Ocean, is a portal of some kind that leads to the island.  So what you really do, is move the portal, and not the actual physical island?  And the portal is located in this one specific place, which is what the bearing 305 stuff is all about.

Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: May 10, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »

This belongs over in Creative Writing...

No reflection on the forumites, just seems most timely Cheesy
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: May 10, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »

BTW, congrats to Harrie on achieving superhero status.

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1267 on: May 12, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »

Re Lost: So now that the freighter's captain is apparently dead, will we ever discover why Michael (I'm assuming it was Michael who wrote that note to Sayid and Desmond) warned that the captain was not to be trusted? I thought the skipper seemed like a pretty straight-up guy, helping Sayid and Desmond hide, trying to talk sense into a raging Keamy right up to the end.

Saw on another message board that New Amsterdam has been cancelled. Bummer. I was enjoying that show more and more with each episode.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1268 on: May 13, 2008, 09:42:11 AM »

Nice catch, Earl -- yeah, I never did see that much slippery in Captain Gault.   The Capt. Gault in the Wm Hope novels was kind of slick, but pretty much a good guy.  Since he didn't die on the island, I guess he won't be showing up in Jacob's shack any time soon.   

I didn't warm to New Amsterdam, but I didn't stick with it, either, so maybe didn't give it a chance.  I've heard that the networks, due to bleeding viewership, will be making fewer pilots from now on and those they do make will be with proven producers/creators.  That probably means very few sci-fi/fantasy pilots will be made, as those genres are such a gamble these days.  Are you old enough to remember another short-lived series on an immortal man -- "The Immortal" starred Christopher George, who was forever fleeing some evil cabal of rich guys who wanted his blood which apparently contained the key to his condition.   

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »

Re Lost: So now that the freighter's captain is apparently dead, will we ever discover why Michael (I'm assuming it was Michael who wrote that note to Sayid and Desmond) warned that the captain was not to be trusted? I thought the skipper seemed like a pretty straight-up guy, helping Sayid and Desmond hide, trying to talk sense into a raging Keamy right up to the end.

You know, I'd forgotten all about that.  I wonder if it was disinformation on top of disinformation, sort of like spy/counterspy/counter-counterspy stuff, and the wrong guy got labeled bad.  Or maybe not, and time will tell. 

I forgot to mention how much I am enjoying Michael Emerson's work. At first I thought he was a bug-eyed, one-note guy; but I love the nuances he is putting into playing Ben.  Like this last week, how he was absolutely deflated by the island's "choosing" Locke over him. I swear, Ben got six inches shorter and looked all schlumpy and broken.  I am growing to love him as much as I hate him. 

We are having two discussions about Lost at home:

1)  Desmond staying on the boat - selfish or smart?  Is he really staying off the island to wait for Penny, or does he realize they may need his help from the ship somehow? 

2)  Did the island really choose Locke?  Or is Locke being manipulated (again times three, the poor guy)?  Because it seems an awful lot like Aaron is the "chosen one" (with apologies to Buffy) sometimes. 

It's true, we have no life.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: May 13, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

I don't know about Locke's whole "chosen" thing -- you have to think he's got SOME mojo with the place -- I mean, the U.S. Marshal catches infection and dies while Locke is cured of a crushed spine and walks away.  Shannon, Libby, and Anna-Lucia take bullets and die, Locke takes a bullet and goes on his way after a short nap.

BTW, anyone catch "House" last night?  If I didn't like the characters so much, I'd almost be ready to say it was jumping the shark -- borderline ridiculous, with our Vike-munching hero suffering a skull fracture and, even as he's bleeding from his ear and vomiting and collapsing, he's hopping about in eager pursuit of a medical mystery related to the bus crash he was in. 

The Cuddy strip-tease fantasy made up for most deficiencies, however.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1271 on: May 13, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »

Well, yeah -- I guess I'm saying that Locke thinks he's the chosen one, while the island is thinking Locke is useful to it up to a point. But to keep Locke interested for the time that it needs him, the island will make Locke think he is important, in a permanent rather than temporary sense and thus makes him believe he has been chosen. And if it has to take Ben down in order to accomplish its goals/needs, so be it; or perhaps all the better.  Or not.

I don't do House, though the hubby does, just can't get into it -- sorry.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1272 on: May 13, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »

Yeah, that makes some sense to me -- Locke can think he's Chosen with a capital C, but the island seems to shape up more as a godlike entity that tinkers with human lives more than as Locke's personal mentor.

"House" is really pretty miss-able -- I got snared partly because I liked Hugh Laurie back when his incredibly expressive and goofy face so perfectly captured Bertie Wooster, or the idiotic prince-regent (or whatever he was) in "Blackadder Goes Forth."   Dr. House is ultra-smart and American and in many ways quite opposite to Bertie Wooster, and yet something of Bertie Wooster shines though from time to time.  That said, I think Laurie is kind of overhyped in this role, and is kind of a one-note player in the series, who really needs the more able supporting cast.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1273 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »

Actually, I like Hugh Laurie, and I like the other guy -- Seann William Scott?  -- whoever he is, I like the three-namer on House, too.  It's just like, the hubby can put it on, and I can tune it out like nothing you ever saw without even trying.  It's just one of those things.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1274 on: May 13, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »

Sean Michael Leonard.  Apparently, he's an Irish Jew or something.  I think getting all your Sean-based actors correct is a task on the order of spelling Rene O-Bear-Gen-Wah.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: