Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 07:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26055 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »

Homework??? Oh, man....
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: May 13, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »

Are you old enough to remember another short-lived series on an immortal man -- "The Immortal" starred Christopher George, who was forever fleeing some evil cabal of rich guys who wanted his blood which apparently contained the key to his condition.   

I remember The Immortal.  The main thing I remember about it is the aerial shot of George walking across a gorge on a suspension bridge while the voiceover introduced or outro-duced as applicable.  However -- this has been driving me crazy, because it made me think of this other show whose name I could not recall.  I used to be able to stay up and watch the start of the show (I think it had a really neat red antique car), but then had to go to bed.  Finally it came to me -- the other show is Run for Your Life, starring Ben Gazzara.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058844/  Sort of like a Then Came Bronson (sigh) predecessor; but Gazzara is ill, not disenfranchised.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised about the networks making fewer pilots and then only with established producers, but they're idiots for going in that direction. IMO of course.  Because you know what you get?  Inbreeding. 

I'd have to check credentials to make a serious argument out of this, but I'd bet the alternate network hit shows (Damages, The Riches, The Closer, Saving Grace [love it or hate it], Mad Men) aren't made by your Chuck Lorre or Cuse/Lindelof-type guys (much as I like Lorre, Cuse, and Lindelof).  Yet those shows are pulling decent numbers and growing vocal audiences; even the ones on the bubble, like 30 Days or that Sunny in Philadelphia show get a chance to build an audience, mostly because there's so much less to lose.  It's just my off-the-cuff, totally uninformed opinion, but I think the Big Three Five are killing themselves.

Okay, I think I'm done for the day.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: May 13, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »

"Quark" actually had a one-season, run, hell, I thought it was brilliant, it had Richard Benjamin and was a space sitcom.  Evidently it didn't score well.

But the SASQUATCH/ALIEN TO BE CONTINUED EPISODE OF 6MDM WAS A "GO PROJECT," DESPITE BEING THE SILLIEST THING EVER CONCOCTED FOR NETWORK CONSUMPTION.

Rip on "Manimal" and "Cop Rock" to your heart's content!!

Were YOU THERE when they cancelled MAN FROM ATLANTIS!!

I didn't think so.  I'm out.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: May 13, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »

Harrie,re:#1276 re:Damages

I got that squared away. It was Lulu from classical music forum who was watching Damages and reporting to this forum.

But just wanted you to know that I ALSO became stuck in Camelot #1262 as if I didn't have control of the remote. I walked away from it several times because it was insidious except for Christopher Lloyd. I stayed on my feet throughout, hoping not to get sucked in but my problem was I could recall everyone of the lyrics to sing along.  This is inevitably the result of hanging out in  piano bars at cast parties where the male chorus sings every show tune of every show they've been in.. This hasn't happened to me for awhile. Because, I still haven't proved myself unattackable by age, when it comes to the fairer sex.

Okay, so for insidious, every now and then out of the corner of my eye, I would catch these guys walking around in circles like it was meaningful!  This is not choreography even in theatre in the round.  I know the leading lady had a gorgeous voice but I kept mistaking her for Ms. Johnston at Third Rock from the Sun. But being the choice of her men, their gestures of individuation were coy and I failed to comprehend how Launcelot's verbal routine did the trick, she didn't really seem to respond so I kept expecting her to tell those Kirsten Johnston jokes and play for comedy like Third Rock, I mean, I understand it was a long marriage what with Gabriel Byrne's child of the forest in seven inch heels.

Arthur at Stonehenge? I think he was more like pulling that sword out of the stone in the middle of the Lake, and his Merlin lived nearly naked except for blue paint and tattoos in some forest according to the modern version with that girl that Barton kind of likes who dressed in a bit of knotted raw-hide to keep her arrows handy over her left shoulder.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: May 13, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

Sean Michael Leonard.  Apparently, he's an Irish Jew or something.  I think getting all your Sean-based actors correct is a task on the order of spelling Rene O-Bear-Gen-Wah.

Barton, I used to get him mixed up with Ethan Hawke because they sometimes play together. That is: "Play", together. Mix in Uma Thurman and it gets hopeless.  Ethan is the smaller one.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »

madupont, sad to say I thought Byrne looked out of place in the whole thing.  I thought Guinevere did look a little old for the part, but I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about that.  Now that you mention it, she does look like Ms. Johnston, though. 

According to some theories, Arthur, Merlin and who knows who else might be buried under Stonehenge.  So let's dig it up and see!  (Actually, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested it.)

How about Robert Sean Leonard?  I think that's the three-namer in the picture. (I'll share my study notes.) Don't have to worry about Uma, she's out of the picture; or more accurately in Arpad somebody-or-other's picture.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: May 14, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »

I skipped class a lot in April when the spring 'rone poisoning was at its worst, so I completely blew the Robert Sean Leonard part.  "Sean Michael Leonard" -- like, WTF is THAT?  Yeah, Bob-Sean is Doc Wilson, the Watson to Laurie's Holmes. 

He killed himself in Dead Poet's Society, after too much proximity to Robin Williams and his gentle aphorisms.  Of course, the movie tried to blame it on the overbearing father....

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: May 15, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

Nice catch, Earl -- yeah, I never did see that much slippery in Captain Gault.   The Capt. Gault in the Wm Hope novels was kind of slick, but pretty much a good guy.  Since he didn't die on the island, I guess he won't be showing up in Jacob's shack any time soon.   

I didn't warm to New Amsterdam, but I didn't stick with it, either, so maybe didn't give it a chance.  I've heard that the networks, due to bleeding viewership, will be making fewer pilots from now on and those they do make will be with proven producers/creators.  That probably means very few sci-fi/fantasy pilots will be made, as those genres are such a gamble these days.  Are you old enough to remember another short-lived series on an immortal man -- "The Immortal" starred Christopher George, who was forever fleeing some evil cabal of rich guys who wanted his blood which apparently contained the key to his condition.   

I've never heard of The Immortal, but you make it sound fun. I wonder if it's available on DVD.

Moonlight, by the way, is also toast after the season finale, which I think is tomorrow night, so there's another fantasy show taking the hit. CBS announced its cancellation along with that of Shark, a show I never watched. In better news, however, for fantasy shows, both Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies will return next Fall.

We'd better get all we can from Lost tonight. It won't be on at all next week, then in two weeks we'll get a two-hour season finale.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »

Moonlight never quite grabbed me, but kudos for the whole reversible-vampire premise and the blood bank humor and such.

"Lost" moved all plot elements forward two spaces and left us drooling for the finale.  Ben et al. have found the island's gearshift and the various tribes are gathering round.  The flashforwards were less inspired than some -- could Sun really gain a controlling interest in Dad's firm so easily, even with the Oceanic settlement?   Did Cheech Marin fiddle with the Z-28 odometer for some nefarious purpose?  And where's VINCENT??

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »

So....Moonlight is out?  Too bad -- I've rather enjoyed watching Alex O'Loughlin -- maybe he'll "suck-it-up" elsewhere...

Don't dance on a volcano...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: May 16, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »

Ah, the always obligatory vampire double-entendres!  I love your biting wit.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »

The flashforwards were less inspired than some -- could Sun really gain a controlling interest in Dad's firm so easily, even with the Oceanic settlement?   

Okay, but that scene starts out with Sun's father saying something about "the money came from five banks. Find out what you can," in effect dismissing his minions/henchmen as Sun came up the stairs.  Suppose some of the Oceanic Six pooled their funds to help Sun out?  And if Sun got a double settlement -- one for her, one for Jin -- there's a hefty chunk of change. Who knows, Vincent might even have throwin in a bone or something.

Why would they do this, besides liking Sun?  What if Sun's dad (I think it's Mr. Pak) and Widmore are somehow affiliated?  Their logos look similar -- I'm basing that on fleeting glimpses, so maybe not so much.  (Or maybe it's how coporate America all seemed to adopt some variation of the Nike swoop for a while, ie certain logo components being fashionable at times.)   

So - say Widmore and Pak are partners in some venture. Say the O6 hold Widmore responsible for some/all of their hardship, adventure or whatever you want to call it, or the deaths of several of their friends; but they can't get directly at Widmore.  However, maybe they can worm their way in through Pak Industries or whatever it's called. Maybe they're even all working with/for Ben -- Ben and Sayid on the Widmore front, the rest on the Pak front.

With that whole story point though, I was both admiring of and sad for Sun in that she had become her father's daughter (someone she hates, by the way, so she could be in therapy forever.)  But I thought they did it very well, both writing- and acting-wise.

Did anyone else think Jack's mother looks like an older, really hagged-out Kate?  Kind of icky, IMO. 

And speaking of Jack, I get that while Claire's mom was spilling her guts, Jack had to be thinking about not letting on anything -- and I thought he did an excellent job of conveying the hurt and stuff but cramming it back down because he has all the lies to keep covered up -- but would it have killed him to say he was sorry for her loss as well?  I mean, she sort of lost two people (Jack's dad and Claire). Chalk that up to good ol' Jack's people skills, I guess.

My new favorite Lost couple:  Jack and Sawyer. 

And I thought the scenes at The Orchid, while serious and edge-of-seat worthy, had a hilarious undertone.  Like Ben's directions to Locke.   1)  Listen up, because I can't repeat this -- followed by just too much information to retain properly.   2)  Then, the directions have no conclusion -- Locke should just go down this elevator and..then what?  We never find out and presumably neither does Locke.   

And I'm sorry but I nearly died laughing at the patented Benjamin Linus eye-cross when the gun is square between his eyes.   I'm also not so sure Ben always has a plan, including this instance. 

Questions -- who was Ben flashing with the mirror?  Richard Alpert and company?  And speaking of whom, if I were Kate and Sayid, I'd be damn glad to be with The Others as opposed to the other groups around. 

It will be interesting to see how the O6 get together, since they're so spread apart. 

And, who thinks the radio room is going to blow?   I was also wondering what happens if they get the island "moved" before Farraday gets back there -- he'll spend eternity Zodiac-ing (and then drifting when the gas runs out) around looking for the island that will not be found.

Just a few random thoughts.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »

Ah, the always obligatory vampire double-entendres!  I love your biting wit.

Actually I think it sucks.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: May 16, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »

Stated with such gravity!

Don't dance on a volcano...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: May 16, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »

"And I thought the scenes at The Orchid, while serious and edge-of-seat worthy, had a hilarious undertone.  Like Ben's directions to Locke...."

Yeah, that and the whole "I always have a plan" thing were amusing.   Ben doesn't seem in the mood to stop and smell the 15 year old crackers.  It seems like Locke is getting more Ben-like and Ben is getting more Locke-like.

I have no insight on Pak Industries at this point, but your neat catch of the "five banks" line makes me wonder.   But mainly I wondered why Sun would want to have anything to do with her father's business -- something powerfully motivating is at work here and maybe it is, as she states, payback for what he did to Jin, which led to his death.  I dunno -- but you're right, it's a terrific scene that opens up all kinds of scary possibilities in a few lines of dialog.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: