Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 10:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 25888 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: May 16, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »

... your neat catch of the "five banks" line

Second to last episode of the second to last season of the show, and finally I remember to turn on the closed captioning.  I highly recommend it, and thank Earl for the heads up on that (which he mentioned a long, long time ago...).

The Pak/Widmore affiliation is pure speculation on my part, there may be no insight to be found there; but much as I like Sun, I'd need a good reason to hand over a chunk of my windfall, and that's what I was looking for.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: May 16, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »

I missed the whole thing, VCR fritzed out - grrr.

But couldn't Hurley have sprung for whatever?

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: May 16, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »

I missed the whole thing, VCR fritzed out - grrr.

But couldn't Hurley have sprung for whatever?

You mean with the lottery money he doesn't want (or what's left of it)?  True, hadn't considered that.  (Sorry about the VCR thing.)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: May 17, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the O6 get together, since they're so spread apart. 

And, who thinks the radio room is going to blow?   I was also wondering what happens if they get the island "moved" before Farraday gets back there -- he'll spend eternity Zodiac-ing (and then drifting when the gas runs out) around looking for the island that will not be found.

In a way, knowing the identities of the O6 takes a little of the dramatic tension out of the show. You point out that they are so spread apart right now, but they are also in the presence of o/Other people whose fates we don't yet know. Jack won't die of appendicitis or related post-surgical infection because we know he gets off the island and appears to be physically healthy at least for a while. But what of Sawyer who is with Jack right now? Hugo is going to make it home to Mama, Cheech and the manor house. So does the fact that he is with Locke mean that Locke also survives? And the radio room surely can't blow while Sun is on that freighter because we know Sun makes it.

How far away from the Island is the freighter anyway? I seem to remember Naomi saying "80 miles" or some such. I didn't see Sayid or Farraday taking a moment to refuel that little thing whenever they stopped. It was strictly loading and unloading.

You're welcome about the closed captions advisory.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: May 17, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »

One of these days, in some very-far-off future DVD release of Lost, I would love to see a compilation of every scene the show has ever given us, but rearranged in chronological order. I realize the tone would be all over the place from moment to moment. Often the "present day" scenes and the "flashback" scenes within a particular episode explore similar themes with the same character(s). But still, it'd be fun just to catch all the gaffes, errors in continuity, etc and to see if the story makes any kind of linear sense. (probably not)

What's the farthest back in time the show has taken us? Was it the recent scenes of Locke's boyhood, which I'm guessing were mid-50's?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: May 17, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

And the radio room surely can't blow while Sun is on that freighter because we know Sun makes it.

How far away from the Island is the freighter anyway? I seem to remember Naomi saying "80 miles" or some such. I didn't see Sayid or Farraday taking a moment to refuel that little thing whenever they stopped. It was strictly loading and unloading.

Re the radio room, it was wall-to-wall explosives, but the ship is also pretty huge; and I have no idea how powerful C4 explosive is, but I was thinking the radio room could take a blast of a certain impact yet not blow the whole ship, and its occupants, to smithereens.  I guess we shall see.

I got the idea the boat was slightly more than 5 miles off the coast because they mentioned something about the reef acting as a barrier, with the C4 explosive in the radio room acting as insurance to keep them behind it (the reef).  I don't know the MPG for an outboard -- I'm a rower, myself -- but if it was a 160-mile round trip, I don't know that the Zodiac would make it.  Never mind how long it would take to cover that distance.

And just how many Oz/Frank L. Baum references are they going to throw into this show, anyway?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: May 18, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »

"Lost" has enough suspense for me, even with the flashforwards.  E.g. the appendicitis doesn't offer suspense in terms of mortality of Jack, but the setup it provides for us to see Jack's scar has vanished serves to add to the mystery of what the island does to people.  Generally, I find television series don't do too well with suspense regarding a main character's life when it's so easy for the viewers to keep track of the actor's contractual status in the press. 

Faraday still has his tie on.  But his shirt is dirty now, I'll give him that.  Five miles or eighty miles ashore -- I'm letting the bloopers breeze by for now.  Maybe Naomi was citing the higher figure when the freighter first arrived on the scene.

On another topic, "Ziva" fans of the straight male persuasion will want to tune in to NCIS this coming Tuesday, as the teaser shows her to be bikini-clad in at least one scene.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »

"Generally, I find television series don't do too well with suspense regarding a main character's life "

I agree with that. It was a stroke of genius for the writers to wantonly and continuously kill off so many seemingly central characters, making it clear that nobody's role is sacred and they might end up in smithereens at any moment, regardless of their plot involvement.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »

That scene with the line about the five banks.... that was in sub-titles folks.... 

closed-captioning not necessary for that one.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

That scene with the line about the five banks.... that was in sub-titles folks.... 

closed-captioning not necessary for that one.

That's true.  But I'm still a convert to using the closed captioning.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: May 19, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »

I generally don't like to read dialog, but can see the value with "Lost."  The only instances where I really like CC is when there is some musical selection I want to identify -- e.g. "Teardrop" by Massive Attack (the opening theme of "House")

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

http://www.hbo.com/films/recount/index.html?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: May 25, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »

Speaking of HBO, I recently rented season four of 6FU from the public library.   Though I've heard serious fans say the series sagged after season three, I found it as compelling as I remembered the earlier parts (it's been a couple years) and greatly enjoyed developments with George, his son, Rico's girlfriend, and some of the other newer characters.  I suppose it all depends on how you take the show -- I take it as LA surrealism-satire and can't say I've seen a bad episode.  Though sometimes Claire rolls her eyes just a little too much. 

Now I've got to track down Season Five, which the PL hasn't ordered so far, and I'm hesitant to actually purchase at BestBuy for $55.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: May 25, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »

Speaking of HBO, I recently rented season four of 6FU from the public library. ...
Now I've got to track down Season Five, which the PL hasn't ordered so far, and I'm hesitant to actually purchase at BestBuy for $55.

Just in case you're interested.....it runs $10-$20 on ebay, or $37 at Amazon. But then you own it, unless you put it back up for resale.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: May 26, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

Started watching Recount at nine only to have to start over at 10 because of a phone call that went on and on and yet I had to at least pretend to be listening to a wandering tale of just how the website on which was being held a school fundraising online auction crashed just as the final bids were about to be clicked, and yet somehow patches were made to enable bidders to do their thing a half hour later and the day was saved (and some teachers' jobs or some parts of them)...

ANYWAY the movie was so terrific I didn't mind starting over and staying up 'til midnight.  I'd forgotten some of the details of the tale, and still know not why there wasn't a re-vote instead of a recount...such is done for run-off elections, but apparently the idea was never broached (perhaps the FL election laws didn't allow).

What a snare these state election laws be!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: