Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 05:46:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26049 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: May 27, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »

Katherine Harris as the Devil in Red.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »

"Lost" season finale tomorrow -- just a reminder, I know this is so easy to space off, you're sitting in the backyard sipping iced tea and watching the squirrels and cats and birds and whatnot and then whoa you're running late to get your stoat to the pet-dialysis facility and next thing you know it's Friday a.m. and you're picking up your turtleneck sweaters from the dry cleaners and planning your trip to the Eggplant Festival and it hits you, you're too caught up in your marginal and pedestrian existence and have completely forgotten about "Lost" and you get really pissed and kick the cat who was so trustingly feeling up your leg and he flies across the room and into a vat of carbon tetrachloride and turns an odd shade, like somewhere between mauve and Mason City, Iowa Greyhound station, and the martinizer is going to sue your ass into a refrigerator box underneath that bridge with all the weird numbers spray-painted on it, numbers like, say, 4 or 8 or maybe 23, or maybe just 15 and 16 right next to each other like sibling fruit bats about to commit incest....

I'm just saying, don't miss it!

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: May 28, 2008, 08:16:51 PM »

You are too funny, barton.

Looks like a repeat of the epi from two weeks ago at 8pm, followed by the two-hour remainder of the finale from 9-11pm.   Have blocked out my schedule accordingly.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »

Ditto re "too funny" for which many thanks, even if only intermittently expressed.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

Mild Spoiler alert re Lost finale:

A report I heard said that they are going to use tonight's finale to set up a dual storyline. One will follow the lives of those who get off the island, while the other will follow those who remain on the island.

There was a huge article in the Houston Chronicle, the "Tubular" blog (both online and dead tree editions, with the online one being much longer and much more detailed due to space reasons), the other day which listed a bunch of theories about what's going on. A lot of stuff about electromagnetism and consciousness and how after you die your "self" can still appear in a place where electromagnetism is in plentiful supply. I had to stop reading ten minutes in because it made my brain hurt.

www.chron.com

...is the link to the Houston Chronicle's home page and the "Tubular" blog should be easy to find from there if anyone wants to check it out. There's also a timeline of important events from the show that goes back to the 1800's when the Black Rock ship set sail. How they figured out where to put Desmond's timewarp trip in that timeline, I'll never know.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: May 30, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »

We had a huge storm here, trees down (incl. on my street), tornado
destruction in several towns, and tv broadcast transmitters whipping
like puppy tails, so I didn't get all the dialog on "Lost," and had to switch to
an Omaha ABC affiliate which gave me a crappy picture and required
putting the rabbit ears on top of a bookshelf. If you want to hear
language that would make a merchant marine whimper, teleport to my
living room last night, 8 pm CDT.

But I gather that many questions were answered, and Earl's Houston blog will probably be a fertile ground for ideas about what is to come next season.  Some impressions gathered from my incomplete viewing --

The island has a clump of exotic dark matter in the center which seems to be controlled by
equipment from the 19th century or earlier. Jeremy Bentham (another
English philosopher and ethicist) is John Locke. Well, yeah. The Ben
Folds Six combo need to drag his embalmed corpse along to their return
trip to the island. For some reason that is not immediately clear.
Ben got blasted through spacetime when he activated the gizmo --
remember he was wearing that jacket when he popped up in Tunisia. The
gizmo is buried in an icy cold cavern beneath the ostensibly tropical
island. For every answer, a new question.

And, yeah, when they said "move" the island, they meant literally move the freaking island.  I didn't quite expect the event to manifest in such a literal way.

And, finally, a moment of silence for the many people whose demise got
a "so what?" from Ben. But before the silence drags on too long, it
doesn't hurt to ask if they're REALLY dead. Closure is just so hard to
come by when dead people keep popping up in the weirdest places. And
maybe Sawyer isn't the only Olympic-class swimmer in the bunch, so who
knows?  Ben is the man who always has a plan -- maybe he has a plan to use some spacetime exotic matter gymnastics to take care of the boat people.

There's also the group in the zodiac who, presumably, hadn't made it
back to the boat before it exploded. I suppose we'll eventually catch
up with them, too.

I might need to watch the show again, unhindered by storm interference,
and see if there are more hints there.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: May 30, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »

OK, afterthought -- on just learning that they are pulling the 8 month hiatus thing again -- it's just a tv show and, despite being one of ABC's hottest properties which regularly beats the pants off every other show in the same time slot, they don't want to give us a fall season.  So, best thing for me to do is take a deep breath and move on.  If it's going to be eight months before I have another chance to comprehend why the statue had four toes, then I'm putting theories on the shelf for now.  If you all want to make your brains hurt, then go and put your head in the Lost vise with my blessing and may your odometers always register 4815162342. 

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »

OK, afterthought -- on just learning that they are pulling the 8 month hiatus thing again -- it's just a tv show and, despite being one of ABC's hottest properties which regularly beats the pants off every other show in the same time slot, they don't want to give us a fall season.  So, best thing for me to do is take a deep breath and move on.  If it's going to be eight months before I have another chance to comprehend why the statue had four toes, then I'm putting theories on the shelf for now.  If you all want to make your brains hurt, then go and put your head in the Lost vise with my blessing and may your odometers always register 4815162342. 

Barton, that's just the tornado-fatigue talking.  Seriously, glad that missing Lost is the worst thing that happened to you last night. Well, as far as I know, anyway.  You didn't miss anything, nothing happened.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: May 30, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »

Thanks -- Lincoln was spared a tornado, but we got a lot of wind -- and the ground is saturated from unusual amounts of rain, so trees are more easily toppled.

As for fatigue, yes, I'm already springing back and wondering what was the thing about "what's wrong with your neck?" asked of Daniel Faraday?  Was that a comment on his tie??

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: May 30, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »

a moment of silence for the many people whose demise got a "so what?" from Ben.

That particular bit got a "That's so high school" from my kid...Speaking of whom, she is a big fan of "Faraday" so I forbear to remark about the Everlasting Tie, and I am wondering whether to tell her that Davies starred in Spanking the Monkey.  Hmmm. what's a mom to do?

OK, I confess...I didn't know who was going to be in the coffin, and have mused on and off today about possible similarities between the philosophies of Locke and Bentham.

Now, combining both high schoolers and philosophy, wonder if anyone here has read Sophie's Gift, a history of philosophy as teenage mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed some years back and passed on to youngster.  Do Euro kids have philosophy in high school?  What better time than adolescence, before buckling down to studying mundane things to help one make a living?

OK, back to tv, am off to watch the spelling bee...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

Bentham and Locke were both philosophers and social reformers, but had different views on many matters -- Locke believed in "natural rights" but Bentham rejected the whole concept.

I think the writer's choice of Bentham as a name has to do with the famous disposition of his body, which might hint at something regarding the role Locke will play post-mortem.  Here's an excerpt on the "auto-icon" of Bentham:

As requested in his will, his body was preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet, termed his "Auto-icon". Originally kept by his disciple Dr. Southwood Smith, it was acquired by University College London in 1850. The Auto-icon is kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the College. For the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, the Auto-icon was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where he was listed as "present but not voting".  Tradition holds that if the council's vote on any motion is tied, the auto-icon always breaks the tie by voting in favour of the motion.

The Auto-icon has always had a wax head, as Bentham's head was badly damaged in the preservation process. The real head was displayed in the same case for many years, but became the target of repeated student pranks including being stolen on more than one occasion. It is now locked away securely.

Need I say more?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: May 31, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »

No, but a couple more random thoughts I'd be glad to have eating away someone else's brain --

Jin is alive. We've seen him emerge from a boat wreck before and
stagger ashore, in Season Two, when Sawyer and him first encounter the
Tail Enders. I think we'll see a repeat of that pattern. Sawyer has
already followed the pattern, staggering out of the surf with a "nice
day for a dip" or whatever. Juliette as possible love interest for
Sawyer -- lady and the tramp?

Any reason that Hurley is playing chess with Mr. Eko?  Anyone else in the invisible chess club -- Boone?  Libby?  Also, the usual cute dicking around with black/white symbolism -- Eko has the white pieces.

How much dead-talking is Miles doing?  He seems to know that Charlotte has a previous Dharma connection -- did she had a Dharma islander childhood or part of one back there somewhere?   

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: May 31, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »

Had to chuckle at Sawyer going into the water with a shirt and then emerging from it shirtless. I suppose the Ratings Current ripped it off him.

Wow, Dharma even has their own rum! Is there no consumer choice that the D.I. didn't brand with their logo?

Re your last sentence, Bart, there is a notion in the Chronicle's Tubular chat transcript that Miles can hear Charlotte's dead parents, which is how he knows that she was born on the Island. Another idea theorizes that Widmore was once the leader on the island and had to move it and now can't get back to it and Ben took over after him.

By the way, the blog entry for the finale won't be up until Monday, but the writer of the blog did do on online chat. Apparently, the morning after the finale Good Morning America showed some alternate endings for who was in the casket. Desmond was even one of the possibles.

You know, for several episodes now I've been hearing Lapidus talk and thinking, "That actor's voice is so familiar. Who is that guy?" Similarly, for the last two or three weeks I've seen Jeff Fahey's name in the opening credits and wondered who he played. [a beat] Dar! On Thursday night I finally put two and two together.

Here is where the "Tubular" blog can be accessed:

http://blogs.chron.com/tubular/archives/lost/
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: June 01, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »

I love Therese, but my PC swoons and then vomits little windows that announce some grave error has occurred and would I like to file a report with the mighty panjandrum of Microsoft or whoever about 90% of the time that I try to access the Chronicle, so I've let that be a sign for me.....i.e. don't get sucked into the Lost blogosphere.  But I'm grateful for your reportage, EARL, from the Chron.  And very very glad that DESMOND was not the body in the coffin.

No idea who Jeff Fahey is, outside of Lost, so will look him up.  He does seem familiar.  I'll just say "D'oh" now, in advance.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: June 01, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »

I've been really busy but have been digesting/discussing Lost when possible.  My thoughts so far are:

1) Is Jin alive?  Maybe, maybe not.  On the one hand, he's familiar with the sea and can probably survive it better than anyone, provided he's conscious and in one piece.  But --- in real life, his actor had a DUI, and those actors seem to just go away.  I think this is funny, that most people think of Hawaii as the ultimate paradise; but spending extended periods of time there doesn't seem to agree with everyone (Mr. Eko's portrayer (I'm sorry, I just can't get his name straight), Cynthia Watros, Michelle Rodriguez, and now Daniel Dae Kim).

2)  Sawyer arrives alive, but shirtless. Okay, I've taken junior lifesaving, done ocean swimming, and swum a mile in Long Island Sound (a cross between a big lake and the ocean), so I totally get ditching the shirt because it will impair your stroke and wear you out. But then why not ditch the pants as well, since your legs are your motor, and you're fatiguing the crap out of them with that extra weight/drag? Even if you're going commando, at least you'll be alive; and you're Sawyer, so what do you care who sees you -- if anyone is left on the island --  in all your glory?

3) Sawyer and Juliet - I like the combo.  He'll soften up around her in time, especially if she's the only tail around (and tipsy and sad to boot, which is a huge head start); and I don't think she's all that much the "lady" as in the lady and the tramp mention.  Down deep, she's tough and gritty, which is not to say that she can't be a lady and possess those qualities at the same time; but I think she's tough in her own way and wouldn't be above clocking Sawyer if/when necessary.  Juliet is a lot like Kate, just without the always-endearing psycho attributes.

4) With time being wacky, could Charlotte Lewis be Ben's little red-haired girl, Annie?  Probably not, just messing around with that thought.

5) I thought it was funny as hell that you actually turn a huge gear to move the island.  So does this mean Ben can't go back, because he was ejected from the island at the time of the move?  And who would the previous mover have been -- Widmore? Hanso?

6) With the island moved, I guess Farraday and his passengers are just aimlessly motoring about?  Hopefully, they'll run out of gas sooner than later, and drift to the island as bodies and other things seem to.

7)  Maybe I'm gullible, but I thought Hurley was playing chess with Mr. Eko.

Well, that's enough. Must sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: