Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 07:42:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Theater  (Read 4098 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »

Imitation or Flattery in Dueling Shows

The battles over who owns what are some of the hairiest in the theater business. Take the cases of ?Three Mo? Tenors? and ?Naked Boys Singing!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/theater/22copy.html?ex=1345435200&en=4b71f2beaf05936a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »

Theater Review | 'Fair Game': Presidential Candidates, Beware Your Children

Karl Gajdusek?s play would be much better if it were half as full of twists and closet skeletons.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2007/08/23/theater/reviews/23game.html?ex=1345521600&en=057e151e7b17280b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2007, 01:07:41 AM »

Theater Review | 'A Midsummer Night's Dream: A Rude Mechanical?s Dream

A jaunty assortment of parlor magician?s tricks ornament this fast and funny production. But the real magic happens when the bad actors take over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/24/theater/reviews/24drea.html?ex=1345608000&en=674aa53bc7de0d93&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »

What? And Leave Show Business?

Five working New York City theater professionals talk about the part of the show business life that happens offstage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/theater/26robe.html?ex=1345780800&en=5b0c1af88e3486c4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2008, 08:51:44 PM »

]
How They Did It. The Show, That Is.

?My First Time? is a new Off Broadway play in which four actors recount stories about people?s first sexual experiences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/20/theater/20firs.html?ex=1342584000&en=4ef27bc3c00e869f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I'm only (nearly) six months overdue(no pun intended) to respond to this one but I was in here looking for a scholar critic and when I found this. When reading about the web-sites, it is a fact. Dick Cavett took it up seriously which was astonishing that this very wry humored man could be so serious at his age but that's only natural. People posted as fast as they could get on-line;  and, since I am a senior citizen myself, I wrote in and told him it was hysterically funny. At  my age, other people's sex-lives elicit nothing but laughs.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55:52 AM »

Porgy’ Meets Katrina, and Life’s Not So Easy

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/arts/music/29porg.html?th&emc=th

Do you know who Zachary Scott was?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

Law120b

Speed-the-Plow opens 1 Feb

We’ve welcomed a new cast into the theatre over the last couple of weeks, and rehearsals for Speed-the-Plow are in full swing.  Matthew Warchus directs Jeff Goldblum, Laura Michelle Kelly and Kevin Spacey in David Mamet’s witty satire of Hollywood.

Preview tickets are £2.50 off top 3 prices, £5 if you are a Friend of The Old Vic. Previews run from 1 – 11 February.

For more information click here

From 1 February to 26 April 2008

12 weeks only

Book now by calling 0870 060 6628

Book online at www.oldvictheatre.com

BRANDED by Simon Bent

We are looking for talented performers to join our company. If you are an actor or acrobat, dancer or DJ, singer or street runner, MC or musician and can move well or have natural rhythm then we want to hear from you.

BRANDED begins with the launch of the most sought after shoe on earth. As the world clamours for this season's 'must have' who is prepared to sell their soul for a sole?

Click here for more details and to download an application form

Old Vic New Voices Theatre503 Award

The second play in the season of award winning new works is now on at Theatre503.

Mad, Funny, Just (22 Jan – 9 Feb)

For more information click here

Tickets cost £12 (£8 conc)

Book now by calling 020 7978 7040

The Aditya Mittal tickets for under 25s 100 £12 tickets are available for every performance at The Old Vic. Tickets can be purchased in advance, but must be collected from the Box Office with proof of age. Please phone 0870 060 6628 for more details.

Take advantage of priority booking, reduced priced preview tickets, special offers, no booking fees and more by becoming a Friend of The Old Vic.

Find out more about access at The Old Vic

If you no longer wish to receive information from The Old Vic, please let us know.

We hope to see you soon at The Old Vic

Best wishes,

Sarah Cook

Sales and Marketing Manager

PS

The Lover & The Collection by Harold Pinter
Starring Richard Coyle, Gina McKee, Charlie Cox & Timothy West
From Tue 15 January at the Comedy Theatre
Click here to book

Sweet William
Written and performed by Michael Pennington
Trafalgar Studio 2 from Mon 4 - Sat 16 February
"In his brilliant one man show Pennington embraces the infinite variety found in Shakespeare's world" **** The Guardian
www.theambassadors.com/trafalgarstudios

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whatson.php?id=41

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:18:26 PM by madupont » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »

Porgy’ Meets Katrina, and Life’s Not So Easy

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/arts/music/29porg.html?th&emc=th

Do you know who Zachary Scott was?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zachary_Scott
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »

You just think you do. Yet much depends on how soon you began spotting him in his movies in your childhood, what year that was  or how old you were and the length of time the movie had been made before you saw it.  He was one of my childhood favorites and,he certainly gave me a few lessons that every girl ought to know. OF COURSE, the packaging comes differently in every generation as to style.

I hadn't thought about him much recently, since so many people mention Peter Lorre instead, and I mention Sidney Greenstreet from time to time, so maybe ZAK was just a repressed memory until this production in Austin was given a link by The New York Times. 

As you probably noticed as you read, he wanted an acting career on the stage and look what happened instead, so he had to invent variations on a role in films since he couldn't break the chain and return to the stage for different roles.  I hate to say that one could develop bad karma just from play-acting bad guys in the movies. That was just the appearance. Although he did many good works for other people, he somehow accidently had bad luck.  A very sophisticated guy who should be better appreciated.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

You just think you do.

I didn't say I knew him personally, ma. You asked "Do you know who Zachary Scott was". Yes, I know who he was. Sorry, but I tend to take folks literally.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »

Was really asking which of his movies did you like?  I was a fan.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 06:27:34 AM »

That's cool, ma. I only know about him because I live there... uh, here. Been to the theater that bears his name. Can't say that I have seen him on film tho'.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

On television; they are "oldies" from the 1940s.  My cousin lives out in Austin as well, with her daughter and in-laws, but is very elderly.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »

"Paul Newman will make his debut as a theater director when he stages a production based on John Steinbeck’s novella “Of Mice and Men” at the Westport Country Playhouse in Connecticut from Oct. 7 to 25 and from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1."

Compiled by LAWRENCE VAN GELDER
Published: February 6, 2008
Arts, Briefly

This is of course "Joanne Woodward's Theater", as Harrie reminded me and I'm so glad that she did that.  I found so many interesting things on why this couple met, all those years ago; because of posting a photo-link of Paul in the Movie Forums, that Harrie commented upon.  More later.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:54:17 PM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

Law120b

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,674,spacey-and-goldblum-hailed-as-greatest-double-act-in-mamet-play,17473

The London theatre has a new hit show on its hands - David Mamet's play Speed the Plow, starring two Hollywood actors, Jeff Goldblum and Kevin Spacey, at the Old Vic. The critics are ecstatic this morning, Charles Spencer of the Daily Telegraph calling the casting inspired: "Goldblum and Spacey offer one of the greatest double acts I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing, right up there with Lemmon and Matthau, Morecambe and Wise, and Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday."

Benedict Nightingale in the Times writes: "Nobody with the least interest in acting should miss the snap and crackle, whizz and fizz of, in particular, their opening scene."

Speed the Plow is Mamet's satire on Hollywood greed and triviality. It provides, as Nightingale puts it, "two super roles for men able to cope with his [Mamet's] brash, breathless dialogue". Goldblum plays the head of production at a Hollywood studio, while Spacey plays the coked-up independent producer who thinks he has a script and a star that will make his fortune.

The English actress Laura Michelle Kelly (pictured above, between Goldblum and Spacey), acclaimed for her Mary Poppins in the West End, plays the temporary secretary, the role taken by Madonna when the play premiered in 1988.

Spencer concludes his review: "The charismatic brilliance of Spacey and Goldblum, and the subtle radiance of Kelly, silence all niggling criticism of Mamet's brilliant but flawed script. There's no doubt: the Old Vic has an absolute blast of a smash hit on its hands."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:33:01 PM by madupont » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: