Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 22, 2018, 10:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29490 times)
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »

Shakespeare Riots sounds good to me. Smiley

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2007, 07:48:42 PM »

As the young folk so succinctly put it, WTF?  How'd things get from considering a read of the estimable and doughty DeVoto to The Shakespeare Riots??

Ya know, I don't know!!!! Its a very good question, but I'll be hornswoggled, I haven't got a clue. But I remember setting a deadline for tonight at 8:10 for other suggestions....that's 22 minutes from now....I have an idea Shakespeare Riots will take it...
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »

I'm using my public library computer. I don't know if it'll work. This is a test!!
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »

Roll Eyes It does----YEAH!!!!
vickiem4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

I do check in with you all here each week, just to see what you are up to and how the discussion is going. This is the only site I check post NYTimes forums demise, the others too hard or too little used.
I'll only infrequently (very) join in on a discussion....only if one really attracts my attention and my library has a copy. As you might remember, get anywhere near TR and I'm there! I'm not a voracious reader, nor historian. I just like good things in life, and this is one of them.

I'm glad you are continuing on here, all of you. Keep on.

snyggokul

« Reply #275 on: June 03, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »

Anyone here who has by any chance read Nixon & Kissinger : Partners in Power by Robert Dallek ? I'm very curious about it, but wanna know if I should go for its  740 pages   Roll Eyes

So MUCH to read...

Anyway, here is what I read about it in my fave boostore's site:

At the height of their power, the collaboration and rivalry between them led to a sweeping series of policies that would leave a defining mark on the Nixon presidency. Tapping into a wealth of recently declassified archives, Robert Dallek uncovers fascinating details about Nixon and Kissinger's tumultuous personal relationship and the extent to which they struggled to outdo each other in the reach for achievements in foreign affairs. Dallek also brilliantly analyzes their dealings with power brokers at home and abroad - including the nightmare of Vietnam, the unprecedented opening to China, détente with the Soviet Union, the Yom Kippur War in the Middle East, the disastrous overthrow of Allende in Chile, and growing tensions between India and Pakistan - while recognizing how both men were continually plotting to distract the American public's attention from the growing scandal of Watergate. With unprecedented detail, Dallek reveals Nixon's erratic behavior during Watergate and the extent to which Kissinger was complicit in trying to help Nixon use national security to prevent his impeachment or resignation. Illuminating, authoritative, revelatory, and utterly engrossing, 'Nixon and Kissinger' provides a startling new picture of the immense power and sway these two men held in changing world history.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:57:27 AM by snyggokul » Logged
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2007, 01:14:42 AM »

Dr Who's arch enemy: the Dalek!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Daleknew.jpg

I have read thousands of stories throughout my long life and I consider the Dalek as the greatest villain in literary history.  While other sci fi villains attempted to use revolutionary means of universal conquest, the Dalek is the only one, insofar as I know, who attempted to use evolution in his evil attempts to do so.

BTW, Terry Nation was inspired to create this extraordinary character by a pair of salt and pepper shakers!

- - - Margaret Fuller
snyggokul

« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2007, 02:04:21 AM »

THAT bad, huh ?

OK...
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: June 03, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »

THAT bad, huh ?

OK...

Actually, your suggestion for Dallek sounds like a good one for a future reading.  A bit long but very thought provoking.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:58 AM »

I think I've read every book Dallek ever published except the Dodd biography---anyhow, he's one of best. His two volume biography of LBJ rivals that of Caro, his FDR volume on foreign policy is a classic. His latest, before this one, was an excellent biography of JFK and he wrote a very good one on Ronald Reagan. You can't go wrong with Dalle  he knows his stuff...

I believe he's out of Boston University.

I haven't read the Nixon/Kissinger entry yet but I look forward to it.

If its Nixon stuff you like--I read NIXON AND MAO recently and it's very good. Smiley
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:52 PM »

I think I've read every book Dallek ever published except the Dodd biography---anyhow, he's one of best. His two volume biography of LBJ rivals that of Caro, his FDR volume on foreign policy is a classic. His latest, before this one, was an excellent biography of JFK and he wrote a very good one on Ronald Reagan. You can't go wrong with Dalle  he knows his stuff...

I believe he's out of Boston University.

I haven't read the Nixon/Kissinger entry yet but I look forward to it.

If its Nixon stuff you like--I read NIXON AND MAO recently and it's very good. Smiley

Bob,

As soon as I read the review(Nixon and Kissinger) at nytimes, I KNEW this was the book that is finally telling it like it was.     Snyggkul should understand this is written from the other side and will probably go down in history as the real deal.

That said,I did meet Orville Schell who does a very good review that Amazon likes to place from The Washington Post when selling Nixon and Mao.
snyggokul

« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »

I think I've read every book Dallek ever published except the Dodd biography---anyhow, he's one of best. [ ...] If its Nixon stuff you like--I read NIXON AND MAO recently and it's very good. Smiley

Cheesy Heh. (o.0) This is why I like these Forums so much... You guys read like few people do...

My main problem, Bob, is lack of time ! There is soooooooooooooo much to read these days... But thank you so very much for the comments on Dallek's books ! I am indeed curious about this last one...

(...) As soon as I read the review (Nixon and Kissinger) at nytimes, I KNEW this was the book that is finally telling it like it was.     Snyggkul should understand this is written from the other side and will probably go down in history as the real deal.(...)

madupont, I am not so sure I understand what exactly you mean by written from the other side -- (o.0) you must excuse me, madupont; I am only a Brazilian greatly interested in American history, American culture & American everything, for that matter , but who has probably not read a quarter of what most of you guys have read on these subjects. But from what I've read about the book so far, I somehow got the feeling that this was indeed an important book to read. I just wanted to check with you guys here before deciding to be so adventurous... (o.0) If you saw my TBR stack, you would probably go :  Shocked What ?!

Last night’s Presidential debateAngry  Damn it . Had classes and so missed it... Thanks for the post, caclark !
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »

You're welcome!!!

By the way, I also use the phrase "from the other side" from time to time. To me it indicates a biography or history written from a more objective viewpoint than most. With regard to Nixon/Kissinger there are many books out there on each one which are biased either in their favor or against their interests. It's nice to see a dual presentation which seems by an author noted for his objectivity.

Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »

With regard to SHAKESPEARE WARS , why don't we start the discussion on June 20th--that'll give everybody a chance to get the book and read it.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2007, 08:55:03 AM »

... I'm still waiting for my copy of Shakespeare ... but will hopefully get it soon and start discussing it on 6/20.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: