Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 03:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29315 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: June 26, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »

Bob,

I, too, am glad to see you back. Sorry to hear that the surgery required such a long stay in the hospital. These days, with so much surgery being ambilatory, it is telling that you had a long stay. It was a serious situation.

But, I am glad you are back to sitting up at the computer. Take your time with recovery, let the family spoil and wait on you, and get back in the swing of things when you are ready!!!!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: June 26, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »

thanatopsy, re:#484

I was going to say,"it  has been a long time since I saw that one!"; but 42 years?   Of course, the really hard part for most Americans, is the realization that English, although not exactly Shakespeare's Elizabethan, is the main, the foremost, and the common language of India. This often comes as a surprise.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2007, 10:09:42 PM »

Leaving a message for Bob, who will,"be back later...."

Recuperate at your own pace,we will even play tiddly-winks if necessary until you have recovered enough to be comfortable. There just never seems to be the right position for anything, post-surgery.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: June 26, 2007, 11:11:42 PM »

Recovery is hard work.  My mom just had her shoulder re-built and couldn't lift even a paperback to read.  What to do?  Books on tape, television, movies? 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2007, 11:29:27 PM »

Good to see you back, Bob.  Sounds like it was even more an ordeal than you bargained for.  Wishing you a full recovery soon.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »

That's a good point about literacy, weezo.  I suppose each generation thinks the one that follows isn't up to snuff.
snyggokul

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2007, 11:49:54 PM »

Bob,

Hope you get better and better ; a surgery + 2 weeks in hospital ; I still remember how I felt in December , 2004 ; no fun at all...

And you got Nixon and Kissinger ! Let me know your thoughts on this one; no hurry at all, whenever you get to it.

I was just at 'Meander' complaining about having been in bed for an entire   week with this VERY debilitating virus; felt as if I had been beaten up and could NOT read either, not even the local paper !  Angry

Just take your time and welcome back !  Smiley

Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »

I feel much better today. I live alone and was able to order food and have two aides come in to  care for me. My employer is very involved in things and checks on me--so I'm doing fine so far. Everyone  gives me the same advice--to take it slow and give things time...The operation was a lot more serious than even the surgeon thought and hence, the time involved.

When I post next I'll post something substinative to get back into things. I was able to open the Shakespeare book and read a few pages and also started Nixon and Kissinger--so I'm off and rolling--albeit in slow motion---but its a start.

I'm also watching the Immigration Debate and reading newspapers again....

I'll be back tomorrow...
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:45 PM »

Recovery is hard work.  My mom just had her shoulder re-built and couldn't lift even a paperback to read.  What to do?  Books on tape, television, movies? 

Lots of good wishes to your Mom!

And a speedy recovery to RW as well!

Good health is so precious. My Best to everyone here!!!!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »

I'm up to about p 109 of Shakes at the moment and find that the writer spends too  much time on events that took place in Briton just a few years before the riots. While these events undoubtedly had a great deal of impact on the subsequent events, I am certain that they could have been summarized a lot better. Perhaps it's my USA prejudice that makes me want to read a lot more about events in NYC and the States rather than jolly ol' England.

Still, it is very striking to read of the severities that actors endured in that era. By contrast, one cannot help but think about how pampered their peers are today.  The Paris Hilton's, Anna Nicole's, Sean Penn's and the rest squawk and rant but little do they realize how easy they have things by comparison with actors from the past.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »

Thanatopsy....thank you...you are very kind. 

I didn't mind the British background Clive gave.  But now that I think of it, do you think he could have gotten enough material for his book without it?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: June 28, 2007, 04:44:01 PM »

Dickens in America:

http://www.fidnet.com/~dap1955/dickens/america.html

The Boz Ball
http://www.fathom.com/course/21701768/s3_4a.html

Gotta love the image Cliff paints of Forrest on page 131..."an antebellum Elvis."
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2007, 05:47:35 PM »

Thanatopsy....thank you...you are very kind. 

I didn't mind the British background Clive gave.  But now that I think of it, do you think he could have gotten enough material for his book without it?

You are most welcomed!

He could have pared down some of that excessive stuff about the British theater and reduced the book's contents from 300 to about 250 pages without diminishing it all (or so I thought). I'm up to p 125 and agree, however, that the notes on Dickens are certainly quite pertinent.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

I came across those links on Dickens when I was looking around for a rendering of some sort of the Boz Ball.  I would have liked to see all that bunting.  No luck though. 

But here is a daguerreotype of Edwin Forrest, and one of John Wilkes Booth's father Junius as well..  I can't find exact dates, but I did find that daguerreotypes were first taken in the US in 1841.  (Too bad someone didn't get Dickens on his New York visit.) 

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/images/jbooth.gif&imgrefurl=http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/feb20.html&h=150&w=123&sz=18&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=DK_EAS9OELD0UM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bdaguerreotypes%2Bedwin%2Bforrest%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2007, 11:53:34 AM »

Bob,

Hope you get better and better ; a surgery + 2 weeks in hospital ; I still remember how I felt in December , 2004 ; no fun at all...

And you got Nixon and Kissinger ! Let me know your thoughts on this one; no hurry at all, whenever you get to it.

I was just at 'Meander' complaining about having been in bed for an entire   week with this VERY debilitating virus; felt as if I had been beaten up and could NOT read either, not even the local paper !  Angry

Just take your time and welcome back !  Smiley

Hi, I've been lurking, you guys.  Not to post off-topic, but my best wishes and sympathy go out to dear Robert. 

Sny -

I got REALLY sick this winter.  After several days I was finally able to get myself out of bed and to the doctor.  They told me they were going to give me a shot which would make me feel much better in the next 24 hours - some sort of anti-virus medicine.  I was flabbergasted when it worked so well - everything I've ever read about it says that you HAVE to get the shot very early on when you're sick or it doesn't work, but this shot really knocked it out.  What a relief!  This was the nastiest viral sinus infection you can IMAGINE.  It was like EBOLA or something.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: