Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 02:07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29389 times)
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:43 PM »

OK, what's  next in our reading agenda?

I plan on reading right winger Flynn's Intellectual Morons though it is not suitable for this forum.  In fact, the book sounds like crapola.  But I use that type of reading to tear apart reich wing ideologues on other web sites.

Any suggestions for our next reading?

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: September 06, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »

Than,

How about:

A Cross of Iron
The Farfarers
The Discoverers
The Sage of Monticello
The Conquest of America
Theodore Roosevelt
Paul Revere- His Life and Times
American Colonies
Cooper's Town

as starters......

Actually, I think several were interested in reading 1491 next.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: September 06, 2007, 03:05:43 AM »

Maddie,

I am beginning to wonder if you have me mixed up with another poster.

No, I really don't think so. Take a look at any one of these posts:

weezo, re:#1077
"Based on the information in Chapter 26 of Boorstin's book, the Cultural Revolution that Maddie disdained sounds like the westernization of China. Read it, and gain new respect for Chinese culture!!"

and you will find that you have misrepresented what I said by putting words in my mouth and claiming that I said such and such a thing.

I do not like to be misrepresented in public or to be misquoted out of hand.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: September 06, 2007, 08:23:15 AM »

Than,

How about:

A Cross of Iron
The Farfarers
The Discoverers
The Sage of Monticello
The Conquest of America
Theodore Roosevelt
Paul Revere- His Life and Times
American Colonies
Cooper's Town

as starters......

Actually, I think several were interested in reading 1491 next.

We have discussed previously that our discussions should be centered on American, not world, history.  ''Discoverers'', if I recall correctly, was about world history and more suitable for the non fiction section. ''Sage of Monticello'' was multi volumed. I couldn't find urls for Paul Revere or 'Cross of Iron'. ''William Cooper's Town'' by Taylor was OK but not a terribly exciting book to read.

We read ''1491'' previously and had a GREAT discussion but since we have new members here it may well be worth another look. Indeed, the book is a great read.

Previously, RW suggested ''New York Burning'' --

http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Burning-Conspiracy-Eighteenth-Century/dp/1400032261/ref=pd_sim_b_5_img/104-2002864-1328700

and ''Conquering Gotham''

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=0670031585&itm=8

Gintaras also suggested Truman. As for me, I'm the type who prefers Parkman Prize winners such as:

http://sah.columbia.edu/publications/hbc.html

These are the type of books that discuss historical events that have current day relevance -this has always been my preferred reading.

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »

oops, I meant to include:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9780876111352

as with other books I recommend, it deals with history which has possible current day consequences

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: September 06, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »

The Great Deluge interests me most at the moment,

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780061148491&itm=1

Also would enjoy a group read of Leviathan,

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780393060577&itm=5

but weezo already expressed her displeasure in hardbacks.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »

Also would enjoy Conquering Gotham.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: September 06, 2007, 10:12:30 AM »

Than,

I'm not sure we can reach a concensus when your preferred reading is boring to me, and my preferred reading is boring to you.

The Sage of Monticello by Dumas Mallone is a single volume. I don't know if it is in the popular press, I bought my copy on a visit to Charlottesville.

Paul Revere and the World He Lived In is by Esther Forbes and available on Amazon

A Cross of Iron by Michael J. Hogan is the book about Truman that was suggested last month.

As I recall, there was indeed quite a bit of interest in expanding beyond American history, and there were a number of suggestions made that I saved in a list.

Th American Colonies and William Cooper's Town both by Alan Taylor have been suggested a number of time. They are both interesting reading albeit for different reasons.

I strongly suggest we collect all the titles of interest to those who are on this forum, and again vote for what we want to read. If it doesn't suit an individual, they can surely sit it out.

The titles on New York City were listed on the last poll and received no votes.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1043 on: September 06, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »

Let's hear what others have to say first and winnow down the titles before casting any votes.  When you make a ballot with over 20 titles on it, it becomes kind of hard to choose.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »

Dzimas,

That is the point of the second poll one week later. When the no vote choices are removed, and folks vote among the titles that have interest. This was not done last month because everyone seemed happy with 1421 as a choice.

As it stands, there are a number of titles which have been suggested which are not strictly American History. I'm not sure that The Deluge is history - it seems more like current events. The flood has receded, but the rebuilding has just started. There is considerable consternation whether the rebuilding is going in the right direction, which seems to me to make it a current issue rather than history.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: September 06, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »

Weezo, that's the whole point of discussing the titles, so that we can reach a consensus!  At least narrow it down to 2 o 3 books and then take a vote if you like.  Please spare us another one of those big ballots.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:30 AM »

Dzimas,

I set a deadline to post a poll on September 1st. I collected a number of titles, I think there are about 17 on the list. I will post a new poll probably tomorrow, so we can get this show on the road. There are a very few participating in the discussion of the titles. The poll seems to pull in the thoughts of a broader audience.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: September 06, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »

So much for a consensus.  I see you have nominated yourself Grand Poobah of this forum.  One of the things I hope you realize at some point is that you have to work with people in this forum, not simply announce your intentions.  I really have no interest in going through another poll.  Count me out.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1048 on: September 06, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »

Dzimas,

Actually, I was asked to manage the polls. I demurred from my originally promised date of the first of the month because one or two expressed a preference for "concensus" instead of a poll, although, I, for one, see a poll as a much more scientific and democratic "concensus". In the past week, there has been no concensus, and time is moving on.

So, I announced that the poll will go up tomorrow, allowing some time for those who want to suggest title and haven't done so, to act now.

If following through on schedule makes me a poobah, so be it. Seems to me to be better than having one or two dominate the "concensus".

caclark

« Reply #1049 on: September 06, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

Taking a poll can be helpful but it needn't be binding or final. Whether a discussion swims or sinks depends on the level of interest it’s generating. As far as I’m concerned, anyone can introduce a topic at any time including during an ongoing discussion. No more posts than we get in here per day, it’s not going to disrupt anything. To poll or not to poll.

I must sound like the guy interviewing for a teaching job in a small rural school. The principal says to him, “before I make my hiring decision, I want to know if you believe that the world if flat or if you think that it’s round.” The applicant, who desperately wants the job, answers by saying, “I can teach it either way.”
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: