Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 03:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29313 times)
caclark

« Reply #1050 on: September 06, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »

But if we require a consensus, most of the time we’re not going to get one, with or without taking a poll. So what. All that’s needed is two people to have a discussion. If it gets going good, others may join in. I thought 1421 would be a fizzle. It wasn’t.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: September 06, 2007, 03:39:35 PM »

CAClark,

You are absolutely right. The poll is to indicate concensus. If others want to read a different book and discuss it, along with the book that is also being discussed, that is OK. It seems to be what they do on the non-fiction list anyway.

I think in some cases those who voted for 1421 either chose not to enter the discussion after it became so negative, or chose not to read the book, perhaps they could not get a copy in a reasonable amount of time. People who are enjoying a book are unlikely to join a discussion of the book if those who like it are being ridiculed as "gullible", etc.

I will put the poll up tomorrow, hopefully after I hear from liquid whether he will add another forum for the rest of history, so I can take off the books that are not related to American History. Lacking that direction, the whole list will go up. Vote as one chooses.

caclark

« Reply #1052 on: September 06, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »

weezo on September 6, 2007 at 3:39 PM: "You are absolutely right. The poll is to indicate concensus...."

That’s not what I said or meant and that’s not what others are talking about. They’re referring to how books were chosen before in the NYT forums. Many who voted for books in the monthly Reading Group over there never showed up when it was time for the discussion. But on the American History forum, the handful of regulars who informally decided on a book were generally committed and they had some good discussions. I didn’t appreciate it when a certain someone whom I won’t name (no one in here now) would try to crack the whip by scolding those who weren’t reading the selected book or would try to throw a bucket of cold water on any discussion that was independent of the one she was participating in. I hope that nothing like that happens in here.

There are pros and cons to both methods of selecting a book for those who feel the need to select just one.

"I think in some cases those who voted for 1421 either chose not to enter the discussion after it became so negative...."

And I see it quite differently. The 1421 discussion was one of the liveliest ever specifically because the author himself was the issue more so than his subject matter. It was a timely discussion on ethics in the writing of history. Sorry if you had your teeth set for something more akin to a Bible study.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: September 06, 2007, 05:32:37 PM »

So what. All that’s needed is two people to have a discussion. If it gets going good, others may join in.

That's right, caclark. All you really need is two people to have a good book discussion.

Hoffman and I recently had a very interesting discussion of Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom over in Fiction.

The Faulkner discussion had an unexpected surprise with a Borges connection to Latin American Literature.

Hoffman and I are hoping to discuss Faulkner's Wild Palms next...

Borges apparently did a streamlined translation of it soon after it came out.

That translation influenced Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the magic realist tradition down South.

Two writers: Faulkner and Borges...

After then, a whole flood of new writers and writing...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:10:50 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: September 06, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »

Puget,

If a book discussion is only between two people, it needs to be held in private email, not put on a public discussion board.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: September 06, 2007, 06:05:40 PM »

Folks,

The poll is up. It is only the American History books gleaned from the suggestions in the past few weeks.

I had to post it early, since it is highly likely that I will have to go out of town tomorrow and didn't want to leave this hanging.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »

Puget,
If a book discussion is only between two people, it needs to be held in private email, not put on a public discussion board.

My dear Weezo,

You sure do crack a mean whip, woman.

How did you know I'm into black leather, whips and SM?Huh?

I bet you look simply stunning in your high heels as Dark Mysterious Dominatrix...

Hey, I'm getting into this now -- I never knew American History could be so fabulously exciting and sexy, girl!!!

Heck with the other books and readers -- what's at the top of your Literary Agenda, baby?

I Was a Male Concubine for Condoleeezzza by Go Go Boy Gonzales?

Can't wait for your fav book, Weezo.

C'mon now...don't be shy...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:15:11 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: September 06, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »

Puget,

You simply amaze me!

I'm currently swinging among three books, one of which arrived today and I've already gotten into it: Glorious Defeat (about the war with Mexico), A Cross of Iron (about Truman and the beginning of the National Security mumbo-jumbo), and The Discoverers (beginning with the discovery of time and its manipulation). I really prefer historical fiction to straight fiction, and cannot at the moment remember a fiction book that I really liked. There was a time when I enjoyed raw sex in novels, but that was then this is now. There was also a time when I put my feet in six inch platform heels, and walked up capital hill to sign a multi-million dollar surety bond for my employer, but now I mostly wear just socks, and slip into mocassins when going out.

As to "cracking the whip", remember I was a high school teacher for many years and later taught in a primary school, so I am quite comfortable stepping into the hubris.   

If you want to add any titles to the poll, let me know tonight. Tomorrow I will probably be out of town all or most of the day.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: September 06, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »

Weezo,

Glorious Defeat sounds pretty good to me = the Story of my life...

Of course, I've had lots of help along the way...dontchaknow.

Two wives, two mother-in-laws and a sullen no-good drop-out daughter.

I owe my fabulous Glorious Defeat to all these fine women in my life.

Like Rudie the only way to get rid of them was to dress up in drag.

And show some leg at a gay parade...that did the trick!!!

Something tells me I better stay out of this Book discussion debate though...

I've got enough enemies as it is, sweetheart....     Smiley

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:28:12 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: September 06, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »

I would rather do it the other way, but if its to be by vote---I think it too confining----then  what needs to be done is to pick a date certain when the vote will close and to pick a date certain when the discussion will begin. I'll hold off on my vote until there's at least some discussion of some of the choices. Putting up books simply because there's been mention of them in the forum is a rather confining way to set up a list. Maybe in the future, if we want a vote we just be allowed to vote without a menu presented to us--even though we can add to the menu.....

But I'm not in the mood to discuss the method of choice, I'm just interested in making the choice and getting on with things instead of ending up in discussions regarding methodolgy.

As to whethever the choice masy be, I'll probably take a back seat in the discussion.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: September 06, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

Cracking a whip?

Ha! That sounds quite tame to me as I am a former IRS agent who could really crack a wicked whip in my time!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: September 06, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »

I cannot understand why a poll is needed?  Who said it was necessary in the first place?

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: September 06, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »

Also would enjoy Conquering Gotham.

This one definitely gets my vote.  It's the type of book we always enjoyed in the NTY forum and always made for very involved discussions.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »

Some of the best discussions I've seen on the internet have been between two people....that's all you need . Sometimes the best way to start a discussion is to allow a person, any person, to choose a book and start discussing it. Believe me, from my experience, it works--others will join in. On the other hand I've seen sets of people get hung up on choices so badly they could never decide what book to discuss and end up arguing eternally over side issues until people get so disgusted they leave the forum. The idea is to get people to cooperate and to be positive about what's going on rather than to get order and precision and democracy.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

I cannot understand why a poll is needed?  Who said it was necessary in the first place?

I think weezo insisted....
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: