Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 10:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29364 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: September 06, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »

Puget,

Ever since you came on here, I have been uncertain if you were male or female. Two wives tells me, finally, that you are male.

And, I have known some of your sense of defeat. I'm on my second husband, but he's a keeper (going on 24 yrs now), and one of my two sons has done very well in life so far.

The first chapter of the Glorious Defeat starts with the issues towards Mexico as expressed on the Immigration forum. And, is now going into the wide difference between how the US handled replublicanism and how Mexico eschewed it. In William Cooper's Town, it is shown how close we came to letting the "elite" take over the government in the years just following the Revolutionary War. And, we seem to be on the verge of fighting the same battles today. Another book that I have a marker in about a third of the way through is Paul Revere and the World He Lived In - again expressing the hard battle to get it through the heads of the "elite" that they could not "rule" by virtue of their wealth and family connections. William Cooper and Paul Revere were both, at the root, commen men. But, Cooper aspired to become "elite" and sought "power" for himself and his progeny, while Paul Revere preferred to see power going to the common people who didn't speculate, cheat and rob to get rich.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: September 06, 2007, 10:24:40 PM »

Cracking a whip? Ha! That sounds quite tame to me as I am a former IRS agent who could really crack a wicked whip in my time!

Oh dear me, I think I've found my favorite forum...

May I have a thousand lashes with a wet noodle please?  Smiley

By the way, Donny, I just know you’re going to say something about that Jimmie Durante burlesque post. Like I said over in that “other” forum—there’s something incredibly endearing and carefree about a straight man confident of his sexuality and manliness—doing burlesque like Jimmie Durante. I can just imagine him doing a nightclub burlesque routine—with those funny ratty blonde curls dangling down over his forehead. Those coy eyelashes fluttering away and doing overtime… Singing something like “Make Somebody Happy”—or “As Time Goes By” like he does in Sleepless in Seattle

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by...

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: September 06, 2007, 10:54:45 PM »

Jimmy Durante was one of my faves --- his bio was quite a cracker.

But the name ain't Donny ... thanatopsy will do for this forum.

here are your lashes:

http://www.thesigung.com/images/whips_seminar.jpg

Enjoy!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: September 07, 2007, 01:37:37 AM »

If Robert and anyone else is up to it, I will read Conquering Gotham as well.  Don't want to waste my vote, you know. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: September 07, 2007, 01:39:50 AM »

Damn, I see Conquering Gotham didn't even make the short list.  I guess it is because it is only available in hardback.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: September 07, 2007, 01:52:49 AM »

Weezo, you simply do not understand the regulars that come to this discussion, American History, from the old NYT Book Forums.  They have, and are comfortable with, methods of chosing a book to read that is not in any way like a reader's online book club, or a book discussion that has the strict structure you seem to have in mind.  Inadvertantly you are making them very unhappy.  And, importantly, they go on discussing a book until they finally wind down and lose interest.  There are no days, weeks, alpha, Omega.  Time just flows.  Newcomers will just have to adjust.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: September 07, 2007, 01:59:49 AM »

Puge, I never get tired of that Jimmy Durante magazine cover.  In fact, I just got up and put Durante on the CD player.  The one with the As Time Goes By track on it.  Makes me start seeing through a sepia filter as I go down long memory lane.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: September 07, 2007, 07:08:10 AM »

Donot,

Conquering Gotham was left off inadvertantly. I was trying to pick and choose among titles to only get the titles that were related to American history, and overlooked Gotham because I didn't have the author's name. It was not because it was hardback. I do not see my role as being to make such judgements.

I guess I am more time conscious than others on this forum. I've been ready to move on for some time. I am retired, and no longer respond to the bells every 47 or 84 minutes as I once did, but I seem to have a time structure that sets goals and gets uncomfortable when they aren't met in a timely manner.

If a book is interesting, I takes me only a few days to read it and I am then ready to discuss it with others, which may take me back into the book to get details. If I don't find a book interesting, it may lay around unfinished for a few years until I get the urge to re-read it and finish it.

Perhaps the best solution is to allow more than one discussion going at a time, on whatever books interests those who want to read it. In that case, the roll of the poll is to provide a monthly list of what people have expressed interest in reading next, skip the hard edge of the voting, or not, as desired, and move on from there. I do find compiling the list helpful to me in showing what books are interesting.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: September 07, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »

``Perhaps the best solution is to allow more than one discussion going at a time``

The better solution, as I see it, is simply not to have the poll in the first place.    It's OK to list the titles of books suggested during a given period so long as there is no restriction as to which selections are to be made. After all, for the most part, we are ''exiles of the New York Times'' and our system worked quite well without polls which have a tendency to be unduly limiting.

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: September 07, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

Than,

I fail to understand your objection to the poll. Seems to be a good way to collect the titles that have been offered and to get a sense of what folks want to read. Limiting? Not at all. Any title can be added and voted on by whomever.

There were eight people who voted in the first poll. I have not seen eight people objecting to the poll, only two - you and Dzimas. As the week wends out I will see if the others in the forum boycott the poll or use it. It will tell me more about what the wishes of the group are than just listening to you.
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: September 07, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »

I have been reading but not posting here cause this forum has none of the easygoing vibe the NYTimes forum did.Robert was pretty much the one who got Mick to set the forum up and it was the best of the bunch.We don't need no stinking poll

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
oskylad

« Reply #1076 on: September 07, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »

Newcomers will just have to adjust.

... or move on. 

I for one do not have the luxury of spending weeks arguing over what book to read next or talking about books on a random basis.  I need to know what book will be discussed when, and given enough time to read it before discussion begins.  The message I am getting is there is no room here for people like me.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: September 07, 2007, 02:12:37 PM »

Maybe there should be a poll on whether to take a poll.   Wink
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: September 07, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »

Oxylad,

Needless to say, I agree with you. I don't like this endless and sometimes less than polite discussion on what to read. Make the suggestions, vote, and get it over with and start reading the book. I was more than a little off-put when I put forth a list of what I was reading, had read, and planned to read, and the whole was dismissed because it was what I was reading, had read and planned to read. Another list was torn to pieces on the silliest terms, including one book that couldn't be found even tho I bought it on amazon just a few months ago.

I have gotten the strong impression that only certain people are allowed to propose the next reading, and that a poll certainly interferes with the pecking order.

Laurie,

Your is an excellent idea. I will take down the present poll tonight sometime and set up a poll on whether to have a poll. Everyone gets one vote.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: September 07, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »

I have been reading but not posting here cause this forum has none of the easygoing vibe the NYTimes forum did.Robert was pretty much the one who got Mick to set the forum up and it was the best of the bunch.We don't need no stinking poll

Amen + touche'!!

DNR also objected so that's at least five who object to it.  I also voted in the earlier poll but that doesn't mean i cared for it.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: