Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 05:13:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29344 times)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: September 07, 2007, 04:13:01 PM »

Caclark.  Cool
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: September 07, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »

here are your lashes: Enjoy!

Oh yeah, that felt good. Can I have seconds, please?

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: September 07, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »

Will Ronald Lecker please report to the Principal's office, immediately.
Ronald Lecker you are wanted in the Principal's office, now!

"As to 'cracking the whip', remember I was a high school teacher for many years" , quoth weezo.  Gee, Louise, we used to do that on the playground but not on cement, over by the chestnut trees. In grade school, however. Can't remember what we did in high-school; oh, that, now I remember.

Just between you and me,weez, two wives was his minimum quote, maximum varies between 4 or 5 depending which of the guys he is talking with at the time, with some of the guys it is just two. Guess he showed them.

Anyway, this is high school in Wabash, Illinois and not Pascagoula, Miss.
and the hall monitor wants to know why Ronald put electronic sex toys in a couple of lockers, after the monitor checked Ronald's as well.

Gee, I think all we did was smoke cigarettes, go for rides during lunch hour, and drink cherry cokes after school.  Only change between a suburban highschool/college prep and convent school is you get to smoke your cigarettes behind a tombstone, catch bronchitis, and you're out by next semester.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: September 07, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »

Rave on, Mad Witch!!! Rave on!!!

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: September 07, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »

Cracking a whip?

Ha! That sounds quite tame to me as I am a former IRS agent who could really crack a wicked whip in my time!

Thanatopsy, who ever would have guessed?  My second sibling/first brother did that too but I think he just pushed them around a lot the way they learn to do working for a collection agency before "they" take an interest in your potential. He was the kid who grew up on Jack Webb and still wears a trench coat. Then  by high-school, he saw Marlon Brando invade that town in California, so he went to work for Harley Davidson, and wow! there was a gang of motor cycle riders in our Mom's driveway just like that.  So I can kind of understand with Peter because, when he looked at Jack Webb or Marlon Brando, he saw himself.

Okay, that's over with,American History, early 1950s.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: September 07, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »

Maddie,

You mean to tell me that you never had any fun in high school? Never hung hair clips on the nun's veil as she walked by? never dropped a pencil in concert with your classmatea when the nun threatened everyone with the Diocese Exams for the umpteenth time? never kept an apple rolling up and down the aisle under the desks all day? Never rolled mercury down the main staircase only to find it impossible to collect all the little beads it broke into? Never kept the nun from moving from religion to math by asking neverending inane questions about who a catholic could and could not marry? What was the point of going to a catholic high school, if it wasn't to have fun?
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: September 07, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »

I prefer  CONQUERING GOTHAM.

(While we are conducting a poll can we get on with deciding what we want to read. Just for now can we just do it collegiately, like adults and as a part of a group process. There aren't that many people involved here--certainly less than twenty -- we don't need to be very formal, we need to join together in positive ways to come to a decision. Can't we just try it  for a few days?
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: September 07, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »

Since several posters the past few weeks have stated a desire to talk about history other than American I would suggest we ask for a World History forum.There anything can be talked about.If our good host Liquidsilver thinks he is finally running out of space(I can't believe he hasn't) perhaps some unused or underused forums in International could be combined or deleted or several elsewhere that seem to be sitting there.I noticed that pets had a flurry of opening posts and now just sits there and there are several like that.Just a thought.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: September 07, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »

Bosox,

I have already written the admin on that point. Thank you for seconding it. If you want, use the "message" tab at the top of the website, and sent a specific message to Liquid. He said once that he didn't come on the book forums very often.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: September 07, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »

Bob,

I agree that this time, we can do it without the poll. Perhaps the poll could be used every other book, or at specific times.

In the meantime, I will let the current poll on whether or not to poll, to run for a week to gather in all who are interested in this forum. Having been involved with email lists for a couple of decades now, I know there is always a "lurker" contingent who is rarely heard from, who can be pulled into an anonymous poll more easily than into the discussion.

If you go with Conquering Gotham this time, I will sit it out as I did the Shakespeare Riots. I've a stack of books that are waiting to be read and I've used up my book buying budget for the month. Hubby is into trains, and perhaps would enjoy such a book, but wild horses will never drag him into an online discussion.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »

There was an old poster in the NYTimes forums who posted I believe in American History long gone whose tag I forget but she lived on the East Coast was big in the Jane Austen talk and she mentioned her husband was a huge train fan and belonged to some Train Site somewhere online where they had flame wars over trains.I have a friend who is on a Tractor Site and he tells me there are online Brawls between the John Deere guys and the Japanese made tractor fans.When I came into the forums many years ago there were forums on The Civil War and Native Americans both of which went under rather quickly.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: September 07, 2007, 10:51:13 PM »

Bosox,

If there are differences, people will get into brawls over it! I am on a Virginia History email list, and from time to time, it breaks out into a free-for-all even tho the membership is limited to "professionals". Two issues will do it every time, one you mentioned, the Civil War, and the other is the paternity of Thomas Jefferson's mulatto slaves. Usually Civil Rights is handled with dignity, even tho historically it wasn't, in Virginia. I have been known to play "devil's advocate" in some of the brawls. Once, I was doing it so well, that a black history professor wrote me privately to thank me for being such an interesting black person in the discussion. Needless to say, he was a bit surprised to find out that my heritage is white with a tinge of Native American.

And, the last, is the reason why I got such a kick out of 1421, since it, as have other books I've read in recent years, takes a whack at knocking Columbus off that pedestal he climbed on!

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: September 07, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »

The posters name was driving me nuts so I mailed Furphy as Mary recalls all the old timers.Her tag was C CRean and as Mary points out though she loved Austen Trollope was her major thing.She did drop into History also.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:26 PM »

here are your lashes: Enjoy!
Oh yeah, that felt good. Can I have seconds, please?

No more.  Just be a good boy or else!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »

So far, three votes for Conquering Gotham from Gintaras, BobW, and myself.

Any more?

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: