Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 21, 2018, 12:07:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29451 times)
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1410 on: November 03, 2007, 11:12:15 PM »

We've done quite a bit of reading on Native Americans both on the forum and, according to the discussions, on personal time away from the forum.  Perhaps we might switch to a different topic such as Bush's imperial presidency:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/books/review/Lewis3-t.html?em&ex=1194235200&en=4ff717adf5fecc7b&ei=5087%0A

History is in the making as we saw in American Theocracy and it may well be worth considering since we have not reached a consensus on the next read.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1411 on: November 04, 2007, 02:05:57 AM »

I get enough of George Bush in the news, and I don't think the author will have much new to say on the subject.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: November 04, 2007, 07:38:15 AM »

Dzimas,

I agree. If this is going to be a history forum, then history should be our topic, not current events. I'm not sure I will ever read much about the Bush presidency even when it becomes history.

Another alternative would be "A Cross of Iron" the explanation of the emergence of the National Security state which Bush has done his best to exploit during his presidency. I would rather study the roots of this shift in governmental policy, than to read about the gussied-up light-brain currently leading it.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1413 on: November 04, 2007, 07:57:34 AM »

Hmmm, not much consensus at all! Shocked

And with the impending Holidays, I wonder if people will have much time to read anything new.

Oh well ...

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: November 04, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »

I didn't think much of American Theocracy, BTW.  I think that Phillips seriously overstretched his thesis in that book.  Sounded like a fire and brimstone preacher.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: November 04, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »

But you will recall that the book generated  a very lively discussion.

Phillips is the most successful Republican strategist in that party's history. While the book may be somewhat pedantic at times, there can be no question that the writer knows what he's talking about.

Dare I suggest that we consider the Truman book you recommended last month for our next reading??

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:18 PM »

Than,

I have already recommded "A Cross of Iron", which is the Truman book someone entered into the last and only poll. I have the book and am already reading it. I would go with that choice. It's not the most exciting book I've read, and it makes me rethink that I knew nothing about these things even in young adulthood. I guess I didn't start paying attention to the news until later in life.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:29 PM »

``It's not the most exciting book I've read``

Ouch - seems like we've had several similar remarks lately.

Several years ago The Education of Henry Adams was read in the NYT forum and it was also a lively discussion.  Unfortunately, I missed it.

Any thoughts on that as a possibility ...........

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: November 05, 2007, 03:11:29 AM »

Dare I suggest that we consider the Truman book you recommended last month for our next reading??

You can, but there wasn't much interest in it then, so why should there be now?  Besides, I kind of lost my interest in it.  I don't know, maybe we should just let the idea of a new book stew for awhile and just shoot the breeze.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:24 AM »

That said, the new book on William James has intrigued me, and I plan on ordering it,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618433252/ref=ord_cart_shr/105-5791205-4542015?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I've long been fascinated with James and the Chicago School.  I've read bits and pieces of the LOC collection of James' writings, which never fail to inspire.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:45:04 AM by Dzimas » Logged
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: November 05, 2007, 08:21:55 AM »

``maybe we should just let the idea of a new book stew for awhile and just shoot the breeze.``

Perhaps that's a good idea ...

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: November 05, 2007, 08:36:29 AM »

Maybe we should go the direction of a poll, and let shooting the breeze remain the province of the Meandering forum.

Lots of books have been proposed, and someone objected to each one for one reason or another. A nice long list of titles and a vote could focus where the interest is. As run off poll to cull the list is always a possibility.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: November 05, 2007, 08:39:36 AM »

Just curious, but how is a poll going to resolve the current situation where we can't decide on a book?  All I see is a split vote.  To have a good discussion, you have to form a consensus.  As far as shooting the breeze, we can keep the subject matter confined to American history.  Who knows, maybe a book will come out of it?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:49:41 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: November 05, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »

Maybe we should go the direction of a poll, and let shooting the breeze remain the province of the Meandering forum.

Lots of books have been proposed, and someone objected to each one for one reason or another. A nice long list of titles and a vote could focus where the interest is. As run off poll to cull the list is always a possibility.

Well, exactly,"let shooting the breeze remain the province of the Meandering forum."  I said the very same thing to the administrator when I asked a specific time  be available (rather than conflict with Am.History plans of upcoming book discussion mentioned by Bob at the time) to use the Non-Fiction area, in so far as Gunter Grass' recent book was rather bio-memoir than fictional.      It was someone else who had misinformed you that it was fictional (and therefore unlikely to survive that magnanimous sweeping vote to color old Faulkner with inuendo beyond his own).

Administrator and I came to agreement and I began. Two other readers later mentioned to me (in Meander) that they were reading  the book but having begun later than myself.  When it came to being able to discuss it not in the province of Meandering forum, they found Ten Days that Shook the World, Reed, and assorted work  vis a vis the anniversary  of the Revolutionary period  being discussed in Non-fiction instead and a bit earlier than time-frame.

I have many opinions rather than mere thoughts on the subject, but it is a sure-fire way of keeping other topics from being discussed by other posting-readers; and reminds me quite a lot  of a particular political party's tactics in "handling the vote".  I shall probably be busy with that for some good part of today, since tomorrow is once again a voting-day, and I have another instance of a veteran (of Vietnam) taken off the polls book on the claim that he did not vote in the 2004 Presidential Election.  I'm the witness that he voted that day, and have felt something vaguely odd that someone would be claimed as not voting, who as a veteran of Vietnam had considerable interest to vote Kerry into office rather than you know who (who never cared to prove he was any particular place he ought to have been per requirement not to be in Vietnam).
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1424 on: November 05, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »

``how is a poll going to resolve the current situation where we can't decide on a book?``

One thing that has been settled is, no poll.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: