Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 12:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 30260 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1425 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »

Than,

Actually, the vote is very close on the value of a poll, so I am encouraged to keep bringing it up, especially when no concensus emerges. The vote is split 4-5, which means that there is a strong minority in favor of a poll.

I guess what I ought to do is go ahead and compile a list of the large number of books that have been mentioned, and allow time for posters to suggest a book they'd like to read, and then let the vote decide the winner.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1426 on: November 05, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »

You won't be satisfied until you have a poll, will you weezo?  You simply can't let this go.  You aren't even willing to honor the poll you set up. Just relax, chat, let a discussion take its course, and not about a silly poll.  We will eventually agree on a book.  All you are going to do is create animosity by insisting on this poll.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:43:01 AM by Dzimas » Logged
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1427 on: November 06, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »

I have many opinions rather than mere thoughts
\

Absolutely undeniable, unassailable and incontrovertible...and a tagline for the ages! 

I never have figured out how to make a tagline...I was going to use "Not It!"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:49:52 AM by nytempsperdu » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1428 on: November 06, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »

Dzimas,

In the days of the revolutionary war, you would have been a great Tory. After the war was over, you would have been a fabulous Federalist. Your dedication to the idea of leadership of the "worthy" is admirable, but those of us who are not annointed, would like to have a say as well.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1429 on: November 06, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »

Here's a poll:

Should we hold off (for now) from voting for the next reading:

[1] Yes

[2] No

[3] Maybe

[4] I pass ...

Wink

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1430 on: November 06, 2007, 08:20:52 AM »

After the war was over, you would have been a fabulous Federalist.

Thanks for the compliment, weezo, but you had your say.  You staged a poll and 5 out of 9 persons said no poll.  Now you want to do a poll anyway because we can't decide on a book in a quick manner.  Seems to me you are the one trying to control this forum like a high school teacher, unwilling to listen to what anyone else has to say on the matter and pooh-poohing books because they are only available in hardback.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:46:24 PM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1431 on: November 06, 2007, 08:53:21 AM »

Actually, thanatopsy, The Education of Henry Adams sounds good to me, and maybe we can draw Chartres, aka Furphy, back into the forum, as I seem to remember she took part in that reading group many moons ago.  Like you, I missed it, and I happen to have an Everyman's Library edition of the book gathering dust on my shelf.  Also, I think it is available in paperback.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:38:02 AM by Dzimas » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1432 on: November 06, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »

Dzimas,

Five out of nine voted no, and dfour out of nine voted yes. The opposition will rise to power!

And, as to hardback books, they are expensive, take too much room on the bookshelf, and most of all, limit my reading time because of the pain they cause in my arms and hands. I'm glad you are young and healthy, and holding a heavy book is not a problem for you. It is for me. The real problem is that you suggest books that do not appeal to me, and I suggest books that don't appeal to you. That is the root of the problem.

A book I would like to suggest, is "The Narrative of Cabeza de Vaca", or another translation, "Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America". The first is the better of the two books in that it includes maps to make refererences to the text so that you know where the places are that de Vaca explored. Both are in paperback, and both are interesting reads with a sense of adventure to them although the style is that of a journal.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1433 on: November 06, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »

And, as to hardback books, they are expensive, take too much room on the bookshelf, and most of all, limit my reading time because of the pain they cause in my arms and hands. I'm glad you are young and healthy, and holding a heavy book is not a problem for you. It is for me. The real problem is that you suggest books that do not appeal to me, and I suggest books that don't appeal to you. That is the root of the problem.

My 79-year-old mother had no problem reading hardbacks.  She would lay them flat on the dining table and use a stainless steel chisel to hold the book open.  She consumed quite a number of books this way.  Maybe you should try it out, especially since you can always pick up a hardback from the local library.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1434 on: November 06, 2007, 01:01:38 PM »

Dzimas,

I do not sit at a table to read. I read in a chair or in the bed. And, I don't have a library close enough to use unless I got involved in mailing everything to and fro. I prefer to build a collection of easy-to-use paperbacks that I've read because they have something to contribute to growing my collection of children's books on the web. My reading of history is practical, not esoteric.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1435 on: November 06, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »

Dzimas,

I do not sit at a table to read. I read in a chair or in the bed. And, I don't have a library close enough to use unless I got involved in mailing everything to and fro. I prefer to build a collection of easy-to-use paperbacks that I've read because they have something to contribute to growing my collection of children's books on the web. My reading of history is practical, not esoteric.

Maybe you should try audio books, or downloads,

Last Days of the Incas,
http://www.audible.com/adbl/entry/offers/productPromo2.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&productID=BK_TANT_000486

Leviathan,
http://www.audible.com/adbl/entry/offers/productPromo2.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&productID=BK_TANT_000473

The Education of Henry Adams,
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2044
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:17:35 PM by Dzimas » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1436 on: November 06, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »

Dzimas....both of your audio links lead to The Last Days of the Incas. 

Thank you for posting the Adams.  I've been wanting to get a copy of that since I finished Mont Saint Michel and Chartres. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1437 on: November 06, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »

Dzimas....both of your audio links lead to The Last Days of the Incas. 

Thank you for posting the Adams.  I've been wanting to get a copy of that since I finished Mont Saint Michel and Chartres. 

I corrected the link to Leviathan.  Maybe you would be interested in joining us in a group read of Henry Adams?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1438 on: November 06, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »

Would enjoy Adams quite a bit, although my American history background is not as strong as most people on this forum.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1439 on: November 06, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »

Would enjoy Adams quite a bit, although my American history background is not as strong as most people on this forum.

I'm sure you would hold your own, hoffman.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: