Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 02:06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29387 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »

Dzimas,  "In Vilnius, it is a bone-chilling -15 Celsius.  The bright spot is that it is sunny."

We're not even close, not unexpected, at a mere 5C Mid-Atlantic East Coast. No Snow whatsoever, the big dump bypassed  us from the Midwest and went north to the New England states. If that keeps up, there will be plenty of water this Spring.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: January 04, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

Dzimas, I think it would have pleased you to hear a recent discussion on NPR re tech/social innovation and its underpinning education--high marks went to your corner of the world.  What surprised me somewhat, though I can't say why, was the praise for Finland in this regard.  I recall how my Aussie bro. used to rant about how provincial Americans are.  How I wish we could shed our chauvinism and look about us at how things that work do work. 
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: January 04, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »

I kind of see Education as a Guide to the Perplexed for Americans struggling to cope with a rapidly changing industrialized state.

A very good analysis.

But was this intended as a guide for everyone or just for the intellectually gifted who stood  to have a greater impact on society's direction?

Hope you get thru that vicked cold snap!     BRRRR!!!!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: January 04, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »

Robert the Fri escapes in the NYTimes has a nice article and some nice pics on small town Penn.Theaters(Drama not movies)Since the NYTimes does not have an escapes heading the articles from that section usually appear under the arts or travel sections.Lancaster,Hershey,Reading,Chambersburg and some others.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: January 05, 2008, 03:42:46 AM »

Surviving, than.  So damn cold but beautiful outside.  Clear blue sky.  I don't imagine Adams intended this book for the rank and file, that's for sure.  He seemed to be aiming it at persons of his similar station.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: January 05, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »

NYT, unfortunately the level of education is eroding in Lithuania and other Eastern European countries as the money is not there to support the system.  Salaries are abysmally low, and with no borders now between most EU states, the more gifted teachers are going elsewhere or getting into business.  I worry about the state of things 5, 10 years down the line.  But then the private schools are no great shakes, especially the American School in Vilnius, despite its whopping $25,000/year tuition.  So, we have our kids doing programs outside of public school and get tutors that further their studies along.  We feel very fortunate that our little one has a great elementary school teacher and a good class.  As parents, we all pitched in over the summer to rehab the classroom so the kids got off to a bright start.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: January 05, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »

Surviving, than.  So damn cold but beautiful outside.  Clear blue sky.  I don't imagine Adams intended this book for the rank and file, that's for sure.  He seemed to be aiming it at persons of his similar station.

We went down to a 10C in a snowless environment which according to a French scale of things would have been indicative that you could go skating except that the  trend is warming and so not a good idea to attempt it. I just read a very interesting coverage of what to observe about ice so that you don't go walking out on it to test it.  Look for bubbles in the ice formation.

Any other tips, in your location of expertise?  Of course, out there around Taliesin, I have known it to be too icy to risk traveling further west into the steepness of the hills  as you approach the Mississippi at this time of year. You instead on that occasion go back in the direction of the Great Lakes. However it is my understanding that my sisters  probably had to work their way around mounds of snow to get to their cars in the last few days.

"He seemed to be aiming it at persons of his similar station.",re: Adams,
I doubt that he was even conscious of automatically doing so.

And in regard to your post on education where the world is different(or, is it?),my admiration for you has gone up again.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: January 07, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »

Thanks maddy and NYT, but I'm just one of many parents who are forced to contribute if we want to have a good environment for our kids.  I kind of like it this way, because it brings us all together to sort out the issues that confront our elementary school.  Not that there are any easy resolutions, especially with differing opinions.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:30:48 PM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: January 07, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »

I was reading back over Adams' chapter on Darwinism, and I thought it had little to do with Natural Selection and more to do with the question, "have we really evolved as a society?"  He asked some general questions concerning Lyell's theory on geological evolution, saying he was not fully convinced by Lyell's assertions.  But, mostly he seemed to wonder about his own period of stasis in Europe, where he felt he was getting the most out of his experience, comparing himself to vertebrae animals in the process.  Like all his chapters, it can't be read literally, although he seemed to feel that technology was evolving at a far more rapid rate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:12:47 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: January 07, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »

Dzimas....don't know if you meant it this way, but your icon (?) is quite ironic given the context of your remarks about Henry's opinion of technology.  Dr. Strangelove indeed.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: January 08, 2008, 03:42:51 AM »

happenstance, hoffman.  The new moniker simply suited my fancy.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: January 09, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

Even so...gotta love the irony.  Hope you keep it for the Oppenheimer. 

By the way, after I read American Prometheus, one of the first things I did was watch Strangelove.  Followed by "The Atomic Cafe" (perhaps even better than Strangelove) and "The Day After Trinity" (highly recommend for viewing as supplemental to AP).
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: January 09, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »

Still waiting on my copy of Oppenheimer, so I will probably be late in reading it, but look forward to the discussion anyway.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: January 09, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »

Dzimas,

Did you say that you had seen Leonard Cohen: I'm your Man 
a documentary by
Lian Lunson, Director 

It was done at the Sidney Opera House and being shown on Sundance channel here in the US. I thought there might be a possibility of your looking it up for availability in your locale?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: January 09, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter is a nice, quick read. For those who labored through the Education of Henry Adams, it may be a nice gentle after-read before heading into more heavy stuff in American Promethius.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: