Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 07:23:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29529 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1815 on: February 06, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »

nytempsperdu, you'd love the discussions we had at The Guardian UK during the French elections. My friend from Nederlands who holidays in France would stop by occasionally but English people were not particularly his cup of tea, so he kept it short, just to check in and see if anything interesting was developing,would leave to attend to business, and come back after a week or so just to keep tabs.

We were both reading The Making of Revolutionary Paris, as it so happened, so quite soon a young American wanted to know about Bastille Day and the Bastille but he was, he said,"definitely against revolutions of any sort," being American.    I guess current Republicanism had really straightened him out, he was quite nice and  polite for a young person but there was just no excuse for a revolution. My European friend figuratively looked at him and left the figurative room again --back to the office at Ng.   But neither one of us could put into words that could convince this young American that there are valid reasons people like the French have "revolutions...".

In fact as soon as the election was complete, they had one.  A  "demonstration" in any case, fiery, wild, and they almost always hold it at the old
"hot spot".
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1816 on: February 06, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »

With only 15 percent of the Vote ABC is already projecting Hillary Clinton as the winner in Calif.That is really fast.Thought it would have been a lot closer.McCain wins Calif also.

The vote gets tighter as the evening goes along out there on the West Coast, but I imagine Hill will hang on.  Fascinating to me is how volatile the polls were this past week and how 6% of Californians still ended up voting for Edwards.
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1817 on: February 06, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

One reason may be is that you could vote as early as a month ago here with your absentee ballot and a lot of voters asked for absentee ballots this election.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1818 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:21 PM »

Exactly, bosox.  I switched to absentee ballot several years ago after my polling place was changed and I walked ever so long in a cold rain trying to find the new one. I work near City Hall, though, so usually end up not mailing the ballot but turning it in.  Those who vote/mail early get shafted in the primary--doesn't seem right, somehow, but then during each presidential election, there is a hoohah about the whole electoral college system.

I heard on NPR yesterday some folks in various Euro countries urging Americans there to go vote there--they mostly wanted them to vote for Obama--it's a question how many thought the Americans in their midst would be voting for President rather than in a primary to choose presidential candidates, but their enthusiasm sounded genuine.   
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1819 on: February 07, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »

I've used the absentee ballot the past few elections  also but I usually wait till a few days before to fill it out.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1820 on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:41 PM »

Tuva!                       

Hadn't realized we had Tuva fans here!

This is one of the greatest fusion performances I have ever seen in which Tuva + Blues are mixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYc06l2gGo

The full DVD about the late Paul Pena is absolutely fascinating.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1821 on: February 08, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »

Yea, than, I've watched Ghengis Blues a dozen times, and I still love watching it.  Simply amazing! Not even Feynman could have imagined such a scenario.
nnyhav

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1822 on: February 08, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Hey History mavens, what was the last time that the presidential contest was between two sitting senators anyway?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1823 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »

I would guess Humphrey and Nixon.

When was the last time a sitting VP did not enter the race?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1824 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »

Actually, I was wrong on that one, as Nixon had been VP.  Seems like one has to dig back pretty far into the archive for that one, if it was ever so.
nnyhav

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1825 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »

I just remember that a lot of ink was spilt in recent election cycles about the lack of electoral success by serving senators (Kerry, Dole, Mondale, McGovern ...), and now it looks like a lock that the choice will be between serving senators ... what if nobody wins? -- yeah, I know, the current admin might be construed as the answer to that question Smiley

Prezzes who had been senators (those elected whilst sitting emboldened):
James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Benjamin Harrison, Warren G. Harding, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:55:24 AM by nnyhav » Logged
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1826 on: February 08, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »

Who Is Prometheus?                                           

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

A crafty, demi-god who is resourceful, defiant of imposed convention, risk taker. He suffered mightily for his defiance but was ultimately saved.

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1827 on: February 08, 2008, 09:26:24 PM »

In last night's reading from A Cross of Iron, I came across a mention of a scientist named Oppenheimer. Is that the man who you are going to read about? He was, if I remember correctly although he was a bare sentence mention, one of the group of scientists who advocated for civilian control over scientific research in atomic power rather than have it sequestered under the military so that any applications of atomic enegy other than military, would not be allowed.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1828 on: February 09, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »

I guess the Manhattan Project and Los Alamos mean nothing to you, weezo?
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1829 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

Ethical Culture     

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_Culture

This is a very good analysis of the social-moral teachings of this humanitarian movement that so greatly influenced Oppenheimer.  Some of those elements will be in evidence during the reading of Prometheus.

Please note the photo of the EC church home in Brooklyn's Park Slope --- I passed by that building many times in my younger years but (sorry to say) never attended any of their services.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: