Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 05:01:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 30274 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »

Share your thoughts on your favorite books of American history.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »

Have we lost all previous posts?
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »

Are we still set for our May discussion?
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »

If anyone else is on please post so I can see how this really works...
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »

Hi Bob,

After people register, I will see about trying to bring back some of the posts.  I was actually thinking for the books about creating a seperate thread when a particular book was chosen.  Is Doctorow's 'The March' still on the docket?
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 09:04:37 PM »

I can create polls as well which should make electing a book for discussion much easier in the future
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:49 PM »

Bob,
   I am here.  I registered.  I just got your posts.  Hope you are well.  Have a good week end.  We had a storm yesterday with a lot of rain.  I was off the computer.
Shirley
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »

Bob,
   I am here.  I registered.  I just got your posts.  Hope you are well.  Have a good week end.  We had a storm yesterday with a lot of rain.  I was off the computer.
Shirley

Good Evening:  To clear things up regarrding the  book for may, here's what I posted on the old forum base just  a short time ago:

Let's go on a Pocahontas Trip. Let's read POCAHONTAS, POWHATTAN AND OPECHANCANOUGH.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780813925967&itm=1

Let's use that a lead book and allow that others might read POCAHONTAS AND THE POWHATTAN DILLEMA or any other recent similar book on Jamestown or Pocahontas..

Let's set a start date for May 7 to allow time to get the book and read it without rushing...

Caclark is probably right. The only way to really get started is to make a decision even if only three go along and when the discussion starts others will probably join in....

We can keep in mind that suggestions for the book to follow this one should be posted starting, say, May 30th or so---so we an have an uninterrupted flow.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »

I can create polls as well which should make electing a book for discussion much easier in the future

No need right nowe, maybe later on down the line. Thanks
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »

How do the smiuleys work? Cheesy
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »

Smiley

Cool stufff. Thats enough for the night. Ill be back tomorrow. Have a good evening...
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »

Bob,
   I have ordered Pocahotas Powhatan... by Helen Raintree from Borders.  I can pick it up in 7 days.
   Hope you are dry.  We have rain.  A good reading day.
Shirley
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »

Hi Bob,

I'm on ... And have pulled the Pocahontas book off the bookshelf ready to begin re-reading it as soon as I finish the small book I'm doing now.

NYTemp, If I remember correctly, you grew up in the Richmond area. I think Tuckahoe JR. HI is in Henrico? I lived in the Richmond area for many years, but moved out to teach at Nottoway High in the early 80's. I live in Dinwiddie County. Do you remember when Three Chopt Road wound through tall forests? My boys were small, and I told them the road was originally an Indian trail, and if they looked very closely, they could still see the Indians among the trees. They looked very hard, and indeed they reported that they could see the Indians. They were about 2-3 yrs old back then.

I truly enjoy Roundtree's terms to describe the Indians -- "The Real People" and the colonists, especially "The Smelly Ones". When I was writing my Pocahontas story a dear old lady who wrote a fiction book on Jamestown from the colonists' point of view (for children, but well written: D'Arcy by Donna Doe Southall) said that I should include Pocahontas putting on bear grease so she would be as smelly as the colonists. I decided not to, and only made one mention of the "unbathed" condition of the settlers.

Anne
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »

NY Temps,

Tell hubs that is really cute! I don't know what the teams are called, but I'm sure I'd remember it if it were tubers instead of some animal. I would venture a fair guess that few or none of the students there know what the name of their school means.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 09:34:18 PM »

DAVID HALBERSTAM  died today...I followed Halberstam religiously from his days at the NY Times and went to many of his book signings. I will miss him very much. I had many a fine mini-discussion with him at the signings and he was always generous in inscribing books I bought as gifts for others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165
  Print  

Jump to: