Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 01:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29374 times)
caclark

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

"Memory is often less about the truth than about what we want it to be."  - David Halberstam

The Best and The Brightest is the finest account I ever read on how the U.S. became embroiled in Vietnam. Halberstam set a high standard for journalism. RIP.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:35:09 AM by caclark » Logged
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »

I never saw Halberstam in person but I have watched him on television and heard him on radio.  That voice, his voice, was so distinctive you KNEW it was him whether you could see him or not.  And such a reasonable, truthful man.  And no matter how bad the news he brought, he was somehow comforting in his manner and you felt as if you were being coaxed by him to rise to the occassion and help fix the problem(s) without him actually saying any such thing.

Rest easy, David.
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49:42 AM »

NY
   It looks like it will be a few days before I get my Raintree from Border's.  I hope it reads well.
Shirley
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Shirley,

I live in Virginia. If I can help you understand the location of anything in the book, let me know. When you get the book, you will learn about a colony upstream from Jamestown called Henricus. It is closer to Richmond than Jamestown. The site of Richmond is at the "falls" of the James River above which John Smith found it difficult to explore. Williamsburg is the closest modern city to Jamestown. Pocahontas lived in Wicomico, which is located on what is now called the York River. It is the next river to the James going north up the Chesapeake Bay. Modern maps show the York River formed from the Pamunkey and the Mattaponi River at the modern town of West Point. The Indians called both the Pamunkey River and the York River, the Pamunkey River.

While you are waiting for the book to arrive, you may want to read a short children's story about Jamestown and Pocahontas. You can find it at: http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books/History/Pocahontas.html It may give you a little background on what you are about to read.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Anne in Virginia
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »

W,
   Thank you so much for your informative post on Poca.  Border's told me today that I will not get my book until after Sunday.
   The book you mention sounds very good.  I am glad you are familiar with so many facts on Poca.  We are lucky to have such colorful history.
   You are an asset to our discussion.  Thank you for your generous input.  I was surprised to see West Point.
   Have a good evening.
Shirley
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 12:05:54 AM »

Shirley,

The book I mentioned is online and free. So get to it when you can! The background music is Powhatan's Daughter March written by Sousa in 1907 for the 300th anniversary of Jamestown.

The 400th anniversary of Jamestown is being celebrated this year, especially next month when the Queen of England, Elizabeth II, is expected to be here, I think on the 6th. She's also supposed to address a special session of the Virginia General Assembly, the legislature that was formed in Virginia as an infant colony, the first in the country.

Pocahontas, as you will learn, is an interesting historical personage. Learning about her makes me sincerely wish she had left some writing, a diary, a letter, anything, to share her with us.

Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »

W,
   Actually, I do not know how well her English language skills such as writing were developed.  Is she intelligent?  We are told she is an intelligent girl.  With so much fantasy how do we know what is true or fiction?
   My goodness Queen ElizabethII how exciting.  And 400years. Hard to imagine the first legislature..government and all this time passing so tremultously.
   Thank you for all of your information and the e book.  Nice to have good resources.  I look forward to your input in the discussion.
Shirley
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »

Anne
   With such a lovely name in Virginia I hope you are having a good day.  We have sun here.  Have a good week end.
Shirley
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »

I was wondering where you had gone off to Robert.All these new sites.I was just thinking of you watching a"Simpsons" where Lisa is lying on her bed reading "Master of the Senate" in hardcover.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »

I got my Roundtree late last night.  I will begin reading today.
Shirley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 01:54:32 PM by Shirley Marcus » Logged
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »

Hello, bosox....nice to hear from you again... We're going to dicuss Pocahontas. Want to join us?
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »

Where did you get that picture of Rumsfeld? Its great....

I didn't see the SIMPSONS episiode, but I can picture her laying there enjoying a book well beyond her years.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »

I was thinkin' (a dangerous thing in my case)...since we are going to read of Pocahontas...why not do an intro to Jamestown. I was told this month's NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC  has it as its lead article and TIME MAGAZINE  has it as its cover story.....I'll go out and buy them tomorrow and maybe we cann discuss the contents. They will surely cover Pocahontas...
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »

NY REVIEW OF BOOKS on Jamestown and Pocahontas

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20114
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

TIME MAGAZINE on Jamestown

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20114