Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 01:33:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 165
  Print  
Author Topic: American History  (Read 29515 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2415 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03:01 AM »

I ordered A Magnificent Catastrophe as well, so will be up to a discussion in July if anyone is interested.  With this crazy election season, it will be interesting to read in more detail how the battle for the Presidency in 1800 went.   
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2416 on: June 13, 2008, 05:28:37 AM »

I'm in ----Early July is Ok with me.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2417 on: June 13, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

Good Lord--I just got home to find out that Tim Russert is dead !!!
What a shock--you never know what's going to happen. It's really hard to believe. This guy was an icon. I'll sorely miss him. I haven't missed Meet the Press in decades
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2418 on: June 13, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

I just saw it while at the bank.Sad news indeed.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2419 on: June 13, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »

Just got "Magnificent Catastrophe" in the mail. So, I'll be ready when anyone else is.

Yes, I heard about Tim Russert a few hours ago. Learning that he was 58 and passed, makes me feel old and vulnerable. Very Sad News!
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2420 on: June 13, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

It certainly frightens me as the cauise of death is likely to have been Sudden Cardiac Arrest and that is sometimes caused by supraventricual tachicardia (a rapid, irregular heart beat) or by blocked arteries. I have both and am due in the hospital Tuesday for an angioplasty...so no one was more shocked than I. Of course, no one can be certain of the cause of death until the autopsy is completed, but I'll bet on it anyway.

To get back to history things there's a new Jefferson book out---a big one--by Kevin Hayes  THE ROAD TO MONTICELLO. It emphasises his literary side, his reading and his writings. I didn't get a chance to read from it, but it's a different angle and should be interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Monticello-Life-Thomas-Jefferson/dp/0195307585/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213404253&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:49:24 PM by Bob » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2421 on: June 13, 2008, 09:53:09 PM »

Bob,

Sounds like you have more to worry about from his death than I do.

As to Jefferson books, did you ever find the new one by Henry Weinsek? I guess I should look for it myself, or write him and ask about it - but he said it was out.

BTW, Virginia is starting a new venue for history. It is a public radio program with three Virginia historians (I've never heard of but the look nice in photos), discussing current events and comparing them to history.

Do you want to know more about it before I kill the latest memo? It will start on VA stations and move to national.

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2422 on: June 14, 2008, 09:07:57 AM »

I also admired Russert for his professionalism -- clearly, he did his homework before an interview and posed tough questions without being needlessly confrontational.

Like some of you here, I also am afflicted with a heart condition and am approaching 57 years of age.  So, yes, I, too, am wary of what could possibly happen to me.

And I will also look into A Magnificent Catastrophe for next month.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2423 on: June 21, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »

Received American Eve, along with Lessard's The Architect of Desire, her biography of Stanford White, in the mail.  Both are beautiful looking books.  Look forward to reading them sometime down the line, if anyone is interested in reading along.  Working on a late 19th century manor here in Lithuania done mostly in the French Regency Style, which has gotten me in the mood for Fin de si├Ęcle architecture and lifestyle.  My wife and I went to the unveiling of a sculpture of Diana and one of her hunting dogs on the grounds of another estate from that era,

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:31:36 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2424 on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »

If you are referring to the young Louis XVI, perhaps you can get away with that French Regency reference. It's an English term(and they were horrified by what happened in France).

Of the many Diana sculptures, I discovered a full page linked under another link, if you want to inspect the European variations; it was covered over by the Houdon: slide of the facial detail, following the full  balanced on one foot portrait sculpture.

Thought you might be interested in these however whenever you happen to be back in States.

http://www.nemours.org/mansion/media/01/10/first-peek.html  SCROLL DOWN TO HOUDON SCULPTURE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Houdon-diana.jpg 

Alfred I. found a copy or had one done from the Louvre collection when he was in Paris because he sent his son to architectural school there in France and had him study the engineering of what is called "the Horse trough" at Malmaison in order to construct the sunken pool approach at Nemours, in Delaware. When you walk down alongside of the pool, a waterfall with  sculptures becomes visible ahead of or beneath the terraces from the house facing the pool. There are four gigantic Zephyrs on each side of the pool. I was fool enough to go down for a closer inspection although the geese  treat this as their territory.  The copied Houdon Diana the Huntress is on the far side beyond the pool and actually on the other side of the arcade where it is set as a Temple of Diana in the landscape of lawns. Haven't been there for years, what with this project. The house is one of the most striking for this era(although I have never visited the Florida house; perhaps, you have).

http://www.nemours.org/mansion/virtual-tour.html
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2425 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »

The French Regency was between 1715 to 1723, between Loius XIV & Louis XV.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2426 on: June 21, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »

Maddy,

This is the house my wife and I are working on,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentvaris

As you can see, it is truly an eclectic piece of work, added onto several times over the years and now taking on a neo-Gothic style, although the interiors were modeled along French lines, as it was the taste of the Russian, Polish and Lithuanian aristocracy of the time.  The interiors were gutted during he Soviet era and the building turned into a carpet factory.  So, we are trying to piece it back together the best we can from surviving photos and analogous interiors, with the help of historians.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2427 on: June 21, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »

Hi, Bob!  How are you fairing?
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2428 on: June 21, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »

I'm doing fine today and am about to go out to eat. I'll walk to Perkins to test to see if the procedure worked. If I can get there without leg pain then I'll consider the procedure a sucess. (I promise to eat healthily, at least today).
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2429 on: June 21, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »

Glad to hear you are doing well, Bob. Keep it up!

And, from time to time make a nice green salad for your arteries sake. You can pile the mashed potatoes and gravy on the green salad unless you need to keep foods separated on your plate. I find that canned veggies do as well as cut up meat and cheese when added to fresh greens for a salad. Canned tomatoes (especially those with italian seasoning) are especially good, but so are green beans. Not sure about peas. It you try the mashed potatoes on the salad, put the dressing on the salad before adding the potatoes, not after. The idea is to get the fresh greenery in you, no matter what you mix it with. Don't know how a salad would do with sausage gravy on it. Perhaps you may want to try it? <grin>
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 165
  Print  

Jump to: