Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 21, 2018, 04:37:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 25287 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2007, 09:47:23 AM »

I suspect that many would enjoy a few weeks to discuss whatever else they are reading beyond the prescribed books.

A discussion on Shakespeare would be nice. No need to buy anything, since the text of all of his works are available free online to print out at whatever size booklet is most comfortable in your hands. You could even convert the text to a Word document and let your computer read it to you, which is, in my opinion, a very nice way to enjoy Shakespeare. To me, his works are best heard and performed rather than passively read. Admittedly, the mechanical voices of the Office speech reader may not suit Shakespeare well, but I think there are also versions that have human voices reading it. They may have a small pricetag attached.

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »

I just finished "Daddy's Girl" by Lisa Scottoline.  My wife recommended the book.  I love my wife but not the book.  It was beyond terrible.  I can't believe that she has 13 novels and is a bestselling author.  I think she must have been high or drunk or both when she wrote the book.  The plot development was all over the place and quite bad.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

I just finished Martin Cruz Smith's Stalin's Ghost, an Arkady Renko novel (Gorky Park).  Couldn't put it down.  I wonder if Russian society is like he portrays in his "Moscow" books?  Makes me believe it anyway.  And, news reports seem to back him up.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »

Reader,

I like The Tempest - I used it with my special ed kids when we did "Shakespeare in the MOO" many years ago. The students had the most fun dressing the godesses! It could be fun to discuss the tempest especially since it is the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, and the story is based on the adventures of some immigrants to the settlement who were waylayed by a storm and spent a year on the Islands rebuilding a boat to continue their journey.

But I also like Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet, and others that escape my memory at the moment. I'm not real crazy about the "heavy" ones such as MacBeth and the ones about the kings.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »

Another interesting bit about Methuselah...not symbolic, just interesting.

Methuselah...969....fathered Lamech
Lamech married Adah
Ada Price (who loves a good palindrome) cared for the bird Methuselah
Lamech who married Adah had two wives
Ada Price is a twin. 
johnr60

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »

"To express this structure in a geometrical shape with 969 tennis balls, it is a solid tetrahedron containing 4 facets (each facet having 153 balls) and 6 sides (each side having 17 balls). The following drawing shows what a tetrahedron is. A tetrahedron is simply the manifestation of a triangle in the 3D world,

http://www.theologos.net/intro_bk.shtml
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »

I could go for any time between August 20 and September 1 to start AA.  Although September 1 is probably better for me because both my kids will be home for a week or two in August.  I tend not to get much reading done when they're home.  When we have nowhere we want to go,  we spend a lot of time making fun of trash TV....Blind Date, Elimidate, Jerry Springer....The kids find it great fun, as neither of them owns a television.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »

"To express this structure in a geometrical shape with 969 tennis balls, it is a solid tetrahedron containing 4 facets (each facet having 153 balls) and 6 sides (each side having 17 balls). The following drawing shows what a tetrahedron is. A tetrahedron is simply the manifestation of a triangle in the 3D world,

http://www.theologos.net/intro_bk.shtml

Mind-boggling....Do you think he had a prediction for when the world will end?  My guess is he was one of those who thought it would all go down in 2000.

In James' book, you will learn:

Why 888 is Jesus' number in the Holy Scriptures.
Why 666 is the number of the Beast.
The origins of the fear of the number 13.
What Trinity Function is and why it is pivotal in connecting all numbers together, no matter how big they are.
The hidden symbolism of the world's most famous name, Jesus Christ.
Why the Holy of Holies, from the Tabernacle to the City of Revelation, was always a perfect cube.
How and where the Trinity and the name Jesus are found
in Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 22:21 -- the Bible's first and last verses.
Why the number 2000 is such a dividing point, such a watershed, unless something momentous is going to occur around that time?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:26:03 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »

As to the twins, there is almost the idea there of a cracked mirror. The perfect Leah gazes at her distorted image, Ada.   And the Congolese saw twins as an unfortunate omen.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »

lhoffman   re:#421

Now, if he had another inverse triangle he would have the mogen-David
which might prove some validity to the G-word or the Kabbalistic interpretation (Gematria).   The Greeks do not use cabbala and thus the New Testament intreptation by Kingsolveresque missionaries based on the letters, epistles to the Greeks have no bearing on the end of the world. The study  in continuous reading came to its height among the Hasidic scholars of Vilno and Poland who were wiped out in WW2 with the exception of several sects in Brooklyn and New Jersey.

The end of the world is a Mayan prediction for 2012 having to do with the axis of two  bodies now astronomically out of synch, which is why all the silly furor in the Immigration Furom, not counting how much time we have left to enjoy the pristine Gan-Eden of US'ns without allowing the Mexicans to illegally cross the border although they are trying very hard, as the inheritors of the Mayan knowledge still studied at the university of Mexico city at the Observatory,since the Mayans were the most advanced of astronomers on this continent (Chinese,don't count as they use the Pole star for their calculations; Brahmins,configure the geometry differently; and Arabs also use a Fixed star calculation as they gave the names to all our fixed stars*), to get here in time to shift the balance of population northward.    (*Shakespeare was merely kidding about "...the stars in their courses...".)

It is a bit like the joke about how many Chinamen would it take to make the earth...what?

In any case the Muslims want the Temple of the Mount and the, excuse the expression,"missionary position" is Fundamentalist that if you get all the Jews to come back in time for the Second Coming, somebody ought to go to Heaven. This has started many rumors such as the Bushes are going by elaborate plan of Space flight, along with Victoria Principal to whom Tony Perkins lost his virginity and she is undergoing training preparations at this time, and then there is Virgin Airlines.

But on a brighter note, during the dzimas/madupont match to discover whether Kerouac's, On the Road should really be a film by a great director, I became absolutely fascinated by what happened to Charlie Yardbird Parker in the Baroness Rothschild's apartment on 89th and not out at her Weehawken estate as Clint Eastwood believed. I looked at the funeral pictures where my erstwhile friend Charlie Mingus stood in the background looking distressed-angry and then all the burial changes in Kansas but, I stumbled upon a little known fact of what the Rothschilds have done in Jerusalem for a building that they have carefully calculated, designed according to "the numbers" and have had built not varying by "one jot nor tittle" from their carefully written instructions.  If I can find it again, you may find it astronomically interesting beyond John60s wildest beliefs.

johnr60

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »

beyond John60s wildest beliefs.

The aforesaid generally keeps his beliefs to himself but often presents facts which remain facts regardless of the conclusions the source draws from them.

The numbers contained in the Bible (whichever set of books)  are recognizably important because of their often apparent incongruity with the text and their repetition in and outside it.

The author doesn't need knowledge of the source to use the symbol, nor is it logical to degrade the symbol just because others have mistaken it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »

So, you read Hebrew?
rmdig

« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »

I think Absalom, Absalom! presents innumerable problems that will potentially derail the discussion.  Faulkner is a southerner from the deep south, and it must be remembered that this novel was originally published in 1936 -- that is a long time ago.  Moreover, much of the narrative is carried forward by Quentin Compson's father, who uses the N-word liberally, and as a result I fear that the discussion will bog down on how we are to deal with this word in 2007.  In short, I think we ought to select another book for disucssion.   
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »

Dig,

There was a long discussion, a poll, voting, and now you want to suggest another book? Where were you previously?

I really do think that adults in 2007 can handle historical literature that uses terms that are no longer in use without offending anyone. We can't just cancel out all southern literature because it includes words we've decided to use no longer. Would you have the same objection to the reading of The Taming of the Shrew because the term "I'll put my tongue in your tail" is used? 

If you were addressing teenagers, I would agree. No sense in putting the word in front of them to misuse. But this is a group of adults. I really do think they can deal with the "N" word satisfactorily.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2007, 08:57:31 PM »

Rmdig....As you say, it was a different time, and we should be glad of it.  But perhaps you would feel more comfortable if readers were to agree on what they feel is printable in the current political climate, and on this forum.

I have to say I was not offended by Faulkner's use of the word any more than I was offended by Mark Twain's.  Civil language has changed quite a bit since then. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98
  Print  

Jump to: